Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 12:24 PM

26 posts, read 60,938 times

Advertisements

I'm graduating college in a few years and would like to start getting ideas on where to visit in preparation for finding my dream city.

A few things that are important to me:
Low crime
Cheap to live in (can get a decent place in the 'burbs or rural area within commuting distance for $150-200k) OR with a walkable, reasonably priced downtown area
Mid sized (100-500,000k people)
Good food!
4 seasons, I don't mind a very cold winter, in fact I kind of prefer it. I'm not a big fan of the heat!
A good economy

Not necessary but preferred:
A population of German/Russian speaking people (I am from Germany, my hopefully soon to be wife, Russian)
Good sports scene... I love watching basketball, hockey, and soccer
Near a small body of water at least, a city with a lot of lakes or maybe near the great lakes

Recommendations on cities/states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 02:16 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,267,122 times
Well i think that Boise, Idaho would be great for you. the quality of life there is very high, its mids size and its growing, has mountains surroundin it so it look beautiful and its affordable You should do some research about that place.

Another place that i would reccommend for you based on what you said would be Des Moines metro area in Iowa, it is a typical american city with very nice and affordable suburbs.

You may want to look at Colorado Springs as well, i heard its beautiful and it has 4 seasons

Old 03-30-2010, 02:20 PM

3,715 posts, read 5,267,122 times
oh and if you want affordable and good economy you should basically stay away from North east
If you like 4 seasons then Midwestern states would be best for you, as well as north west (oregon, washington and idaho.
Anything further south than Tennessee would probably be too hot for you and winters too mild. hope it helps, if you have any questions ask me here or pv me I am originally from Poland so its very, very close to Germany

Old 03-30-2010, 03:19 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,983,903 times
How about Pittsburgh?

-Great sports scene
-Near New York where there is a big Russian community
-Germans (and German ancestry people) nearby in Ohio
-Good food
-Low Crime
-Stable Economy
-4 Seasons
-Big, bustling downtown
-Near big cities of New York, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Baltimore, and Washington D.C.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:47 PM

93,294 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Maybe Syracuse

#1 Syracuse NY Real Estate Website | Homes for Sale | Realtor | CNYREALTOR.COM
CNYHomes - the Syracuse and Central New York Real Estate Source
Syracuse Apartments for Rent | Syracuse Apartment Finder
Check out villages like Baldwinsville, North Syracuse, Liverpool, Fayetteville, Manlius, Marcellus, Skaneateles, Cazenovia and Chittenango, among others. You might like DeWitt around East Genesee Street too.

welcome! · cnymenus · dot · com ·

Downtown Syracuse

Central New York Jobs

Syracuse University Athletics
Home

Lake Ontario - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Finger Lakes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Both are close by

Sts Peter and Paul Orthodox Church - Syracuse, NY
St Mary's Russian Orthodox Church - Google Maps
German Ancestors Syracuse/Onondaga, NY - German Churches

A lot of Russian people tend to live in DeWitt, the Eastside of Syracuse and some in the Western suburbs.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:46 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,328,040 times
Rochester, NY
Rochester, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.homesteadnet.com/SiteCont...County%2C%20NY

City of Rochester

Old 04-05-2010, 09:53 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,831 times
The outlying areas around Denver would work. One of the very few cities with all pro sports teams, 4 seasons (great weather). Contrary to what a lot of people think there are lakes, reservoirs, etc. in the area. Good economy (for these times)

Old 04-06-2010, 09:20 PM

9 posts, read 38,215 times
I recommend the Coney Island area in Brooklyn, New York, New York. The violent crime rate is pretty low. As far as the property crime rate, as long as you ensure that you deadbolt your door, e.t.c. nothing really goes on. It's a great community which consists mostly of Russians.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:44 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,787,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Maybe Syracuse

#1 Syracuse NY Real Estate Website | Homes for Sale | Realtor | CNYREALTOR.COM
CNYHomes - the Syracuse and Central New York Real Estate Source
Syracuse Apartments for Rent | Syracuse Apartment Finder
Check out villages like Baldwinsville, North Syracuse, Liverpool, Fayetteville, Manlius, Marcellus, Skaneateles, Cazenovia and Chittenango, among others. You might like DeWitt around East Genesee Street too.

welcome! · cnymenus · dot · com ·

Downtown Syracuse

Central New York Jobs

Home

Lake Ontario - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Finger Lakes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Both are close by

Sts Peter and Paul Orthodox Church - Syracuse, NY
St Mary's Russian Orthodox Church - Google Maps
German Ancestors Syracuse/Onondaga, NY - German Churches

A lot of Russian people tend to live in DeWitt, the Eastside of Syracuse and some in the Western suburbs.
I gotta say, I like the way ckh sells Syracuse... I never in my life would have thought of it as a good place to live, I think of it as frozen tundra in the middle of nowhere, but since hearing ckh's "sales pitch" for it I have to admit, I would very strongly consider living there!

Old 04-06-2010, 10:26 PM

93,294 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
I gotta say, I like the way ckh sells Syracuse... I never in my life would have thought of it as a good place to live, I think of it as frozen tundra in the middle of nowhere, but since hearing ckh's "sales pitch" for it I have to admit, I would very strongly consider living there!
That's why marketing is so important. It's an area that can grow on you, if you are willing to find out what is in it. I think the problem is that many people when growing up there or possibly any area, they might stay to their section of the area and think the rest of the area is that way. When they finally get to see the rest of the area for themselves, they can form a better opinion of the area.

It also doesn't help that the only thing people know about the area from TV is the weather and maybe Syracuse University sports. There is more to the area and region than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.