Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 08:11 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,931,823 times

Advertisements

I don't think any section of a city is more interesting/unique than the East Village of NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 11:21 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,204,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I don't think any section of a city is more interesting/unique than the East Village of NYC.
New Orleans, you can't get more unique than New Orleans.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:25 AM

I'm sure it's really unique, but I haven't been there yet. I want to go there sometime though.

Did you ever see the East village?

Old 01-11-2009, 11:40 AM

I go to this italian restaurant that I love in the east village. Our table was right at the window and there was a tv show being shot right outside. It was brand new at the time, New Amsterdam. I'm sure some people have heard of it. The actors were sitting right there by the window practicing their lines. Gotta love having a tv show being taped right next to where you're eating

The East village is a really nice area of the city. This is the only automat in the city, which was very popular in the early 1900s up until the 1960s or so. If you don't know what that is, it's little cubby holes in a restaurant where you just take whichever food you want and be on your way. There are only a few standing tables because most people take it to go:

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/557049851d3a9d7854eqr5.jpg/1/w500.png (broken link)

Tattoo shops lining St. Mark's:

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/nyeastgreenwichvillagesud1.jpg/1/w480.png (broken link)

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/173754606ljf1.jpg/1/w800.png (broken link)

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/5260/gemspajw0.jpg (broken link)
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/gemspajw0.jpg/1/w500.png (broken link)

Old 01-11-2009, 11:46 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,031 times
Of the ones ive been, i think

Boston, New York, Newark, Jersey City, Philly, Baltimore, DC, San Francisco, Chicago (maybe i didn't really venture that much, outside of downtown), Maybe new orelans *but i haven't been outside dt and the fq), Detroit, St Paul (actually i saw some nice neighborhoods), St. Louis, Cincinnati, Milwaukee

Old 01-11-2009, 12:06 PM

Quote:
I go to this italian restaurant that I love in the east village. Our table was right at the window and there was a tv show being shot right outside. It was brand new at the time, New Amsterdam. I'm sure some people have heard of it. The actors were sitting right there by the window practicing their lines. Gotta love having a tv show being taped right next to where you're eating

The East village is a really nice area of the city. This is the only automat in the city, which was very popular in the early 1900s up until the 1960s or so. If you don't know what that is, it's little cubby holes in a restaurant where you just take whichever food you want and be on your way. There are only a few standing tables because most people take it to go:

Tattoo shops lining St. Mark's:

Wow...pretty cool, but I've never been to NY. I was just stating that as whole, I feel New Orleans is the most unique city, you just won't find a city anywhere else like it.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:35 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
^I agree NO is a GREAT place, however... I don't know if I'd say it's the MOST unique. It's unique, but everywhere is. Every city is very different from the next (some cases, to the extreme). If you said NO is the most "ECLECTIC" then I may agree.

I still think NYC has the most varied and unique individual neighborhoods. It's tough to argue that it doesn't.

Boston is notable of course as is Washington D.C. (not exactly D.C., but I LOVE Old Town Alexandria VA).

Providence RI is great for a smaller city. Downtown is very urban and enjoyable, but Federal Hill is one of the best authentic Italian neighborhoods in the country. the East Side is fantastic as well.

You'll be Hard-Pressed to find a better, small city urban plaza than DePasquale Plaza in the very Italian Federal Hill section of Providence.. it's surrounded by authentic Italian restaurants and is awesome for al fresco dining:

Thayer Street in the East Side of Providence is the center of attention in the College Hill neighborhood (both Brown U. and RISD are next door). Old movie theaters, great restaurants, and diverse nightlife make this a great neighborhood:

Finally, Downtown Providence has it all... great dining, nightlife, culture, activities, etc. Providence's River-Walk and Waterfires are known world-wide:

Last edited by lrfox; 01-11-2009 at 03:54 PM..

Old 01-11-2009, 03:37 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,166,769 times
Quote:
I think New York alone has many neighborhoods that are far more interesting than the East Village, which is only a shadow of what it used to be.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
^I agree NO is a GREAT place, however... I don't know if I'd say it's the MOST unique. It's unique, but everywhere is. Every city is very different from the next (some cases, to the extreme). If you said NO is the most "ECLECTIC" then I may agree.

I still think NYC has the most varied and unique individual neighborhoods. It's tough to argue that it doesn't.

Boston is notable of course as is Washington D.C. (not exactly D.C., but I LOVE Old Town Alexandria VA).

Providence RI is great for a smaller city. Downtown is very urban and enjoyable, but Federal Hill is one of the best authentic Italian neighborhoods in the country. the East Side is fantastic as well.

You'll be Hard-Pressed to find a better, small city urban plaza than DePasquale Plaza in the very Italian Federal Hill section of Providence.. it's surrounded by authentic Italian restaurants and is awesome for al fresco dining:

Thayer Street in the East Side of Providence is the center of attention in the College Hill neighborhood (both Brown U. and RISD are next door). Old movie theaters, great restaurants, and diverse nightlife make this a great neighborhood:

Finally, Downtown Providence has it all... great dining, nightlife, culture, activities, etc. Providence's River-Walk and Waterfires are known world-wide:

Of course every city is unique in it's own way, but NO has a special uniqueness, no city can compare to how special and unique it is. Give me one city that has a similar vibe, and don't dare to Charleston or Savannah.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:53 PM

701 posts, read 2,030,361 times
San Francisco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.