Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 12:17 PM

810 posts, read 2,161,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
What do you mean by "American elite"? Old school, old money elite, or just just people who make a lot of money? If you mean "the establishment," I think they will continue to live in New York. In fact, they are more concentrated in New York than ever before.

Before WWII there was a Social Register in Cleveland. Every city of any size had its version of the establishment, dominated by a handful of churches, country clubs and private schools. Establishment social circles have become more national. The trend is likely to continue.
yes, probably establishment.

the intellectual elite. tastemakers etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 01:39 PM

457 posts, read 1,108,857 times
I think the "elite" will continue to become more diffuse over time. Of course, NY will remain the largest "elite" hub for the foreseeable future. In some respects the city is less important than it used to be, while in others (media, finance) it remains as important as ever. But, other cities are catching up. Cities like Dallas, Hou, Atl, Sea are surely up and coming. These cities have been expanding their cultural institutions, high end restaurants, shops etc.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:25 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo View Post
lol never thought of Miami as a center for the elite. not philadelphia either, though it may have been in former times.
I agree with both comments. Lots of elites visit Miami and may have homes there, but that's not their base.

Old 04-06-2010, 11:53 PM

37,135 posts, read 39,380,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Yes, but the majority of them are in NYC and LA.
No, not even close. The majority are outside of NYC and LA. I think what you're trying to say is that there are more within NYC (less so LA) than within any other city/metro, but that is a vastly different statement from an outright majority.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:03 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
No, not even close. The majority are outside of NYC and LA. I think what you're trying to say is that there are more within NYC (less so LA) than within any other city/metro, but that is a vastly different statement from an outright majority.
Yeah. However, the NYC area contains around 7% of the country's population but around 22% of the country's richest billionaires. I'm impressed at how underestimated the Bay Area is by a lot of posters on this site, because it contains a mere 2.5% of the country's population but 10.5% of the richest billionaires! The LA area, for all its reputation of having wealth, doesn't even contain most of California's billionaires(5.5% of the US population/8.75% of the richest billionaires).

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...gs-2009-a.html

Quote:
Metropolitan Areas where the Most Billionaires Live, 2009

New York Area 88 (fixed)
San Francisco Area 42
Los Angeles Area 35
Dallas Area 24
Chicago Area 18
Washington DC Area 12
Houston Area 9
Minneapolis Area 9
Boston Area 7
Denver Area 6
Detroit Area 5
Las Vegas Area 5
Seattle Area 5
Atlanta Area 4
Pittsburgh Area 4
Cleveland Area 3
Nashville Area 3
Phoenix Area 3
San Antonio Area 3
San Diego Area 3

The Forbes 400 - Forbes.com
It's kind of funny how everyone assumes how rich LA is, even though its not (and that's why at this point in my life, I prefer it). Even I'll admit that the Bay Area is a bigger wealth generator than LA is.

However, this country is pretty decentralized. The largest concentration of rich will continue to be in the NYC area, but other areas will start to have their own share of wealth creators.

I really do admire how much Silicon Valley (which is in the Bay Area) can produce such an immense amount of wealth in such a short period of time. Their effects on our daily lives will only increase, as we become more and more dependent on technology.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:34 AM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
Although, alas, not a wealthy person myself, I've known plenty of very rich people through my work. Many of them had multiple homes, which is something to remember. That's always been the case historically, and it continues today.

Old 04-07-2010, 05:09 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
They will always remain in places like LA and NYC. Why else would they go to an inferior city if they can afford a luxurious lifestyle in the 2 most expensive/posh cities in the country?
Could be that some just like it elsewhere.
Could be why Steinbrenner lives in Tampa far away from his Yankees and hundreds of others from the richest lists choose to live in other cities and states.

Top 5 states from the Forbes 400
CA-81
NY-56
TX-41
FL-26
IL-18

WI, MI and MN have 28 of the top 400 between them

Old 04-07-2010, 06:35 AM

810 posts, read 2,161,599 times
don't forget I'm also talking about the intellectual elite. I wonder how one would find the concentrations of that. perhaps universities/think tanks/major magazines?

Old 04-07-2010, 06:47 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Could be that some just like it elsewhere.
Could be why Steinbrenner lives in Tampa far away from his Yankees

Um, that's because of spring training...NY will always have the highest amount of wealthy residents.

Old 04-07-2010, 07:03 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
Quote:
Um, that's because of spring training...NY will always have the highest amount of wealthy residents.
No it is not because of spring training, it is because Tampa area is where he lives.

Yes, NY has many wealthy residents but California has more and many wealthy people reside in other states.

Some people are so worried that their area might not get recognized for something that they exaggerate the facts or completely omit some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.