Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:13 PM

871 posts, read 2,248,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert kid View Post
If anything, Virginia was the FIRST southern state, my family came to America and landed there there in 1784. I'm proud to be of Virginian heritage, and Virginia has every right to have a Confederate memorial day, because the Civil War had a huge impact on the state's history.
as did mine. virginia was the birthplace of southern culture, along with the carolinas. it then spread west and further south
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 04:34 PM

18 posts, read 46,868 times
umb, that chart for 1790???? lol the US was only 13 years old. And states like Alabama werent even admitted. There were prob no rules on slavery then. But oh well.

YES. Virginia is in the south. The 2 major regions are usually referred to as the North East or the South East. Maryland and Delaware, I dont consider south either.

BUT. There are no REAL border lines. if you look at these states: VA/PA/MD/NY/DE/NJ, they make up a whole nother SECONDARY AREA. aka~ The midatlantic. Virginia is in both areas. Just like how PA and NY are in the northeast, yet they are still in the mid atlantic region. So deal with it. States can be in more than one region.

nuff said.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:58 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
The most southerly of Delaware's three counties (yes, three), Sussex, is strongly culturally southern compared to the most northerly county, New Castle. Indeed the courthouse grounds in Sussex County have a monument to Delaware's confederate soldiers (strictly individual volunteers; unlike more Southern Maryland where the legislature formally raised and sponsored troops for the Confederacy) and there are active Sons of the Confederacy or whatever heritage organisations downstate who have ceremonies and such from time to time. ISTM that the rest of the Delmarva pennisula south of the DE-MD state line is likewise at this peculiar conjunction of the Mid-Atlantic and Upper South. In Chincoteague VA I got served a chicken caesar salad made with fried chicken . Once you get past Ocean City, MD the area on the penninsula is very rural and you see things like the Stars & Bars, something you don't see in DE unless some visitor from down South is displaying it. DE as a whole is truly Mid-Atlantic but culturally Kent and Sussex counties were at one time very Southern; the upper county, New Castle, never was.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:41 AM

846 posts, read 1,798,019 times
I agree with that, doctorjef. I went down thru Salisbury, MD a couple summers ago on vacation heading back from NJ, and it is a very southern city.

Salisbury has a South Atlantic League baseball team (all teams from the Carolinas and Georgia except for Lakewood NJ, Hagerstown, West Virginia, Lexington, KY and them), has very cheap TV stations (much like you'd see in a small Southern market), and Food Lion (a grocery store from the Carolinas) has a lot of stores up there.

Once you get past there, you are definitely in the South. The Eastern Shores of MD and VA have their own culture. Even though you can pick up Washington and Baltimore AM stations down there, it is more like the South in its culture. They have Belk department stores, and are huge boating communities.

On I-95, I consider that you go directly from the Mid-Atlantic to the South at around Fredericksburg.

There is a transition zone between Fredericksburg and I-295 north of Richmond, but past that, you are in the South. Richmond is a very southern city, with tobacco giant Philip Morris based there, and their main TV station (Channel 6) used the slogan "The South's First Television Station" for decades.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:46 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
I agree that the Delmarva Peninsula is southern from about Dover down

But Boating communities are a southern thing?

And Food lions are also found in New Jersey and Pennsylvania

Old 05-31-2010, 05:49 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
I recall that William Least Heat Moon in his book Blue Highways characterised rural South Jersey - the Pine Barrens especially - as distinctly Southern. I've no idea how accurate that is. It would be a sort of disconnected extension of Southern culture, if so. The pine barrens region itself is, I think, a sort of disconnected northernmost extension of the Southern pine forests. Likewise in lower Delaware exists the northernmost bald cypress swamp in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.