Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 05:45 PM

9 posts, read 14,818 times

Advertisements

I am a 21 year old college student and I will be graduating with my MBA in accounting a year from now. A friend of mine and I am from a small town near Grand Rapids, MI and would really like to move south to a bigger city for a while after school. It seems like a lot of fun and a good way to start my career. I haven't done a ton of research, so I am just looking for some ideas about where to start. The ideal place would be warm, have a good job outlook for accounting/finance, and have a very good nightlife scene. I have spent my whole life in a smaller city and would like to go out and live a little (and find some warmer weather than Michigan), any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 02:03 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,196 times
What do you mean when you say "down south"? Are you referring to the actual southern U.S. or just anywhere south of Michigan that may be warmer?

Old 04-08-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDX_LAX View Post
What do you mean when you say "down south"? Are you referring to the actual southern U.S. or just anywhere south of Michigan that may be warmer?
Actually in the south, like florida, georgia, texas, arizona, new mexico, or california maybe. I am young and just looking to move to a city and have some fun for a year or two. I plan on starting my career in public accounting for a year or two, so for that time frame I would like to just get away for a while. It would be great if I could find some place that is warm year round (or at least not feet of snow like michigan) and has a fun nightlife.

Just looking for some input from people who have lived in these areas.

Thanks

Old 04-08-2010, 03:21 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,643,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skatensnow08 View Post
Actually in the south, like florida, georgia, texas, arizona, new mexico, or california maybe. I am young and just looking to move to a city and have some fun for a year or two. I plan on starting my career in public accounting for a year or two, so for that time frame I would like to just get away for a while. It would be great if I could find some place that is warm year round (or at least not feet of snow like michigan) and has a fun nightlife.

Just looking for some input from people who have lived in these areas.

Thanks
I would recommend the Atlanta area. The jobs here are some of the highest paying in the country and we are projected to rebound fast from the recession. Housing is cheap, weather is decent, many outdoor as well as indoor activities year round. We are 4 hours from the beach and 1.5 hours from the mountains. Just make sure you secure a position with a company before moving.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:29 PM

35 posts, read 143,979 times
I've had positive experiences spending time in the Orlando, Atlanta, and Houston metro areas, but you'll definately have to research the job outlook wherever you may consider going.

I usually recommend New Orleans to anyone who asks where they can go to completely get away from their northern life (I'm here originally from the Chicago metro area). The people and culture are significantly different (I perceive it as an incredibly friendly and fun-loving place compared to the north), but the job market is probably only average, and the quality of life is tougher to judge. There's not really fancy high-rises or sleek public transportation, but there is good weather (relative to MI) and mid-range cost of living.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:34 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
You should also look into Dallas/Ft-Worth. It can get cold, but nothing like what you are used to.

They, along with Houston, probably have the best job prospects right now. Good luck!

Old 04-08-2010, 05:42 PM

Thanks for all of the help! Houston, Tampa, and Atlanta were the three cities I had in mind when I first posted this so it is interesting to see two of the three come up. Houston seems like a lot of fun, warm weather, cheap cost of living, and decent for jobs. I will secure a job before I go anywhere, I don't dare to spend that much time and money moving somewhere without already having a job in place. I am still open to all ideas for cities. I would like to hear more about Atlanta, Houston, Tampa, and maybe Phoenix or Albuquerque? Again, I am really interested in a place with decent living expenses, job market, nightlife and warm weather!

Thanks again for all the help.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:31 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,356,662 times
Well, Atlanta certainly fits everything you are asking for. All of the large accounting firms have regional headquarters (for the SE) here, along with a few large local accounting firms.

If you have particular questions, there are a lot of helpful members in the Atlanta sub-forum.

As an aside, there are a LOT of ex-Michiganders here, including my other half (Kalamazoo). I have friends from Grand Rapids, K'zoo, Niles, Benton Harbor, Portage, Flint, etc. You won't get too homesick around here, that's for sure!

Old 04-08-2010, 09:00 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,859,218 times
I'll throw in my own city as well. Charlotte will be in much better shape a year from now than it is right now and is a popular option for college graduates.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:29 PM

7 posts, read 36,931 times
I am also from Michigan and relocating to Georia (ATL). I'm tired of Michigan and need a new start. I'm leaving early January 2011 if anyone wants to move with me. (it's more cost efficient).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.