Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 10:06 PM

8 posts, read 14,566 times

Advertisements

HurricaneDC-No problem.

I love it when a bigger city has a smaller town feel. The twin cities are something I'm really looking into.

Edit: Also, are both cities kind of the same? So it's kind of like a coin toss when deciding Minneapolis or St. Paul or are they different from each other?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2010, 10:14 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
They are very different. St. Paul is more like an older Midwestern blue-collar city, while Minneapolis seems more like a Sunbelt city, except with lakes, nature, and a strong sense of community. The suburbs around Mpls have a reputation for being 'nicer' (more affluent), but the STP suburbs are safe and still very interesting. It's great having two very different cities within such close distance.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:26 PM

Just basing if off of what I've seen and the last post I think then Minneapolis is more my type of city.

I still can't get over how bike friendly it is.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:31 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
That does sound great... I always find that the problem with a lot of nice small towns is that they're too small for me. I like the amenities of a big city, but I like the sense of community found in small towns.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:42 PM

Exactly, in a small town your stuck with great people but nothing to do.

Or, in a big city you have many things to do but crappy people.

It's great to have a little of both.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:00 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times
You should go for the Twin City area(Minneapolis). Chicago is cool with a big city American feel to it and tons of things to see, but its segregated residential by race than most and gang violence. Minneapolis is about as liberal as it gets in the Midwest and the area is way safer than Chicago. Minneapolis is not as diverse as Chicago, but its more integrated.

Old 04-08-2010, 12:49 AM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Another point going for the Twin Cities is that the city is that the area is actively pursuing light rail, commuter rail, and bus rapid transit expansions for the near future some of which will be in place once you graduate from college.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Another point going for the Twin Cities is that the city is that the area is actively pursuing light rail, commuter rail, and bus rapid transit expansions for the near future some of which will be in place once you graduate from college.
That would be amazing. As I would still be paying off student loans and working a lower wage job I think biking and the bus would be all the I could afford.

Do people still bike in the winters there?

Old 04-08-2010, 05:02 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
If you don't mind a smaller city with diversity and pretty much everything else you are looking for, give Ithaca NY a look. It has 2 college campuses, a very underrated live music scene, a ballet, a great farmers market, good nightlife for it's size, is in the Finger Lakes region and is actually on Cayuga Lake. It's actually more of a smaller city with a big city feel and you are close to other bigger cities like Syracuse and Rochester.

Also in NY you can look at specific neighborhoods in the major Upstate NY cities like Elmwood Village/Delaware District, North Buffalo and Allentown in Buffalo, the Southeastern quarter of Rochester(especially Park Ave.), the Westcott/University/Meadowbrook areas of Syracuse Eastside and the Center Square neighborhood in Albany(especially Lark St.). They are all nice urban neighborhoods and are close to cultural offerings, sporting events, arts based events/institutions and public transportation.

The Elmwood Village Association
Elmwood Village - Buffalo Niagara Convention and Visitors Bureau
AllenStreet.com... Buffalo's Allen Street District
Allentown Association
Delaware District, Buffalo, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Allentown, Buffalo, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
North Buffalo, Buffalo, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hertel Has It!

About Monroe Village (http://monroevillage.org/aboutus.aspx - broken link)
HOME
Upper Monroe Neighborhood Association | UMNA
Welcome to Swillburg!
Park Avenue Rochester NY shops cafe restaurants
SWPC
SouthWedge.org - Rochester's South Wedge Neighborhood Social Network
Highland Park Neighborhood Rochester, NY - Welcome!
Welcome to Rochester's East End - Rochester's East End Rocks!
More info. here: Neighborhoods - Rochester Wiki

Westcott, Syracuse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Westcott Street Cultural Fair
Westcott
Southeast University Neighborhood Association
Westcott Community Center
Thornden Park Association - Syracuse NY
The Westcott Theater
UNPA - University Neighborhood Preservation Association
Greater University HillÂ* — Syracuse, New York
Berkeley Park
Berkeley Park Properties 1
Marshall Street - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Center Square Association : HomePage
Center Square Neighborhood
Lark Street BID :: Welcome
Lark Street In Albany New York - Restaurants, Shopping, Bars And Galleries
Lark Street - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ithaca info
Visitor Info - Visit Ithaca
Ithaca
Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY
Cornell University
Ithaca Night Life ( NightLife ), NY
Ithaca Farmers Market
Welcome to the Ithaca Ballet
Finger Lakes Cycling Club
Bike &Walk Ithaca
The State Theatre of Ithaca, NY
Kitchen Theatre Company, Ithaca, NY
Greater Ithaca Art Trail
Home * Community Arts Partnership
State of the Art Gallery » Home
Herbert F. Johnson Museum of Art
Community School of Music and Arts in Ithaca, New York
Ludgate Farms, Ithaca Artists - Ithaca Music - Ithaca Musicians - Ithaca Art (http://www.ludgatefarms.com/artists.html - broken link)
and much more......

If you want more information, just let me know.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:38 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,921,814 times
I'd suggest Vermont. Burlington is a nice college town you might like. It's small enough geographically that you'd be able to get around without a car easily. Close to Montreal for when you want big city life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.