Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 01:12 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
As I read post I always come across people who judge a place on how racially diverse it is. Most posts indicate a negative social climate to a place if it is too white. I find the more people are alike racially the more people seem to get along with less tension and all the problems that come with multiculturism. This has nothing to do with racism because I don't hate other races since every race has their good and bad elements. But it seems those people who are in love with diversity are following a politically correct mode of thinking.

I agree with you. Races and cultures do seem to commune together, and that's natural security. They understand each other and share common ground. This also goes for other social cliques ~ the wealthy, etc.

I happen to prefer being in a more "mixed" environment and always have. I grew up in a very small town in the 60's that was incredibly diverse. We carried the highest concentration of blacks in the area, and I'd say that a good 20% were Mexicans. And, yes, those students mostly socialized amongst themselves, and there was tension with the whites.

But it wasn't boring, and I liked having a mix of friends.

Multiculturalism adds to the arts and other fine things in life. We enjoy the ethnic cuisines and unique touches they contribute to society. We have an endless variety of music to choose from. Many places have cultural events ~ and don't most people have a ball at Oktoberfest?

In NYC I enjoyed listening to the occasional Jamaicans talking on the streets, loved the outdoor market I came across that sold mostly arts and clothes from Africa and the Caribbean. In San Francisco I always smile when I see that the Russian lady's Babushkas store is still in business.

On the other hand, I don't see anything particularly "wrong" with someone wanting to live in predominantly white cities/neighborhoods. Crime-ridden slums and out-of-control gangs can definitely make diversity seem way over-rated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 01:37 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
if I'm in a place that is entirely white I'll be far more likely to assume that those people DON'T share anything in common with me, because otherwise what would they be doing living in such a segregated place?
That's interesting. Your belief is that if the majority is White that it is segregated, either by force or self-segregated? Now what about 95% Black neighborhoods? Are they not equally segregated, and lacking in diversity? I'm not saying that you necessarily don't think so, but it's worth looking at if you don't.

I think we see lots of cities which are right around 50% White, 50% Black you could go to any given area and think that you were in an 80% White or Black city, depending on the area. Some cities break this mould, but few do. I live in a 49% White, 44% Black city and the place where I'm at right now is probably at least 80% White. I think that the 40% of people who claim to want diversity want to see 20% of the shops in their city come from different areas, but who never live in the same complex as the workers. Some would -- But not most.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:29 PM

93,321 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
That's interesting. Your belief is that if the majority is White that it is segregated, either by force or self-segregated? Now what about 95% Black neighborhoods? Are they not equally segregated, and lacking in diversity? I'm not saying that you necessarily don't think so, but it's worth looking at if you don't.

I think we see lots of cities which are right around 50% White, 50% Black you could go to any given area and think that you were in an 80% White or Black city, depending on the area. Some cities break this mould, but few do. I live in a 49% White, 44% Black city and the place where I'm at right now is probably at least 80% White. I think that the 40% of people who claim to want diversity want to see 20% of the shops in their city come from different areas, but who never live in the same complex as the workers. Some would -- But not most.
I think what the poster might be saying is that when a community is overwhelmingly one of "color", it is due to segregation, not to segregate, per se. This could be the case ethnically as well and have residual effects from "how it always was" or to that effect.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:24 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post

I wouldn't want to live in a neighborhood that was 95% black, either. The segregation might not be intentional (as in: people might not have all moved there for BECAUSE they wanted neighbors of the same race), but it would still send up big red warning flags to me. I'd rather have variety of all sorts, and if a neighborhood that has people overwhelmingly all of the same race seems like it would be less likely to have diversity of other sorts.

This would admittedly be far less the case in, say, a small town where the population as a whole was almost entirely one race. If I were living in that town, for whatever reason, then I would at least want diversity in terms of having neighbors of different ages, etc.

I don't think a neighborhood has to perfectly reflect the ratios of various demographic categories (age/ethnicity/race/economic level/education level/etc.), but I do think that while a neighborhood might have a majority of residents of one race (or age, etc.), that neighborhood would be far more desirable to me if there was enough diversity so that there's just a handful of token residents who don't fit the profile, whatever that profile might be.

Old 04-10-2010, 03:25 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
bek bad behavior does seem so awful if you spread it out. the driving principle in k12 social engineering.

Old 04-10-2010, 07:05 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,593,517 times
Like I've said before, I cherish diversity, but I cherish integration to a greater extent. But honestly, people are more likely to get along and mesh with people that are similar to them. Most blacks in St. Louis act very differently from me. It's truly a culture thing: I don't say the N-word, I don't absolutely love basketball, I don't act ghetto, I'm not loud and obnoxious. This sounds bad I know, but its the harsh truth. When gaining friends, I don't pay attention to color, but I do pay attention to similar interests.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Some posts above were deleted. Race in a topic can easily make it veer into areas that are off topic in this forum and on topic in Politics and Other Controversies. Make sure that your post answers (not just addresses) the question in the title or it will likely be considered off topic. Feel free to visit P&OC and seek the answers to your controversial questions about race.

Old 04-10-2010, 11:27 PM

118 posts, read 139,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
As I read post I always come across people who judge a place on how racially diverse it is. Most posts indicate a negative social climate to a place if it is too white. I find the more people are alike racially the more people seem to get along with less tension and all the problems that come with multiculturism. This has nothing to do with racism because I don't hate other races since every race has their good and bad elements. But it seems those people who are in love with diversity are following a politically correct mode of thinking.
I don't care about racial diversity as much as I care about cultural diversity. Miami is a much more interesting place due to all the cultural diversity (Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, etc) and would be a more bland and uninteresting place without this influence. New York is a more interesting place with its Black, Italian, Chinese, and Puerto Rican, Jewish, Carribbean neighborhoods and would be far less exciting if everyone was a uniform American culture. I love the Mexican and various Asian neighborhoods of Los Angeles as well as the Chinatown in San Francisco.

America is far more interesting being multicultural and multiracial. I say this as my parents were immigrants, but I never had a problem getting along with people from different cultural backgrounds or races. In fact as a Serbian-American growing up in Detroit it was mostly a requirement- I was either going to make friends from people with different cultural and racial backgrounds (Black) or be a loner. Most Anglo-Americans would benefit if they moved out of their bubble-suburbs where everyone is the same and meet, socialize, befriend, and live among different people.

Last edited by StefanProgovac; 04-10-2010 at 11:39 PM..

Old 04-10-2010, 11:34 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
Like I've said before, I cherish diversity, but I cherish integration to a greater extent. But honestly, people are more likely to get along and mesh with people that are similar to them. Most blacks in St. Louis act very differently from me. It's truly a culture thing: I don't say the N-word, I don't absolutely love basketball, I don't act ghetto, I'm not loud and obnoxious. This sounds bad I know, but its the harsh truth. When gaining friends, I don't pay attention to color, but I do pay attention to similar interests.
This might be an urban poor deal more than anything. Urban poor whites might not be what you'd like either. I perhaps unfairly envision being poor in an urban setting is likely lots of stress, noise, crowding, and poor schools. However I don't think the black experience in America is only that of poor urban people with lower education.

Maybe you could go to a smaller city or meet with people from one of the better historically black universities and I think this will be less true. (Assuming it's true at all) I remember reading that Morehouse in particular requires certain standards of "gentlemanly" behavior. There are some mostly black suburbs that are said to be nice.

Granted one element of your list "acting ghetto" is left vague/undefined and I'm not sure why liking basketball is any worse than liking Baseball or Hockey. Personally I'd rather watch an NBA game than the World Series or Stanley Cup, not that I really like any of those all that much.

Urban people seem really racist, but only against blacks, to me sometimes.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:40 AM

1,124 posts, read 3,593,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
This might be an urban poor deal more than anything. Urban poor whites might not be what you'd like either. I perhaps unfairly envision being poor in an urban setting is likely lots of stress, noise, crowding, and poor schools. However I don't think the black experience in America is only that of poor urban people with lower education.

Maybe you could go to a smaller city or meet with people from one of the better historically black universities and I think this will be less true. (Assuming it's true at all) I remember reading that Morehouse in particular requires certain standards of "gentlemanly" behavior. There are some mostly black suburbs that are said to be nice.

Granted one element of your list "acting ghetto" is left vague/undefined and I'm not sure why liking basketball is any worse than liking Baseball or Hockey. Personally I'd rather watch an NBA game than the World Series or Stanley Cup, not that I really like any of those all that much.

Urban people seem really racist, but only against blacks, to me sometimes.
This is why I said in the beginning to not take my post the wrong way. I don't think you really understood the "bigger picture" of my post. Some stuff was exaggeration, and of course not all black people act like that, I was just using that as an example.

Understand? I can go into greater detail if you need me to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.