Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 12:18 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,296,868 times

Advertisements

"I'm only in it for the food!"

It reaches a point where the trade off between ethnic food and all the problems that come with multi-culturalism doesn't balance out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 12:23 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,156,473 times
I like racial/ethnic diversity, different foods to choose from and meeting people that come from somewhere else. What I'm not really a fan of is the segregation that often happens when a city is diverse. Its predominately black on one side, predominately Mexican in another, and predominately white on the other side of the tracks. Instead of trying to promote racial diversity, there should be more integration. Diversity sort of sucks when the people are not socializing and not hanging out sometimes as friends. Residential segregation is very prevalent in the Midwest. The West Coast and Northwest Pacific in Seattle seems to be more integrated, but in some areas around LA(especially South LA), Blacks and Mexicans are bitter rivals.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:29 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,711,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I like racial/ethnic diversity, different foods to choose from and meeting people that come from somewhere else. What I'm not really a fan of is the segregation that often happens when a city is diverse. Its predominately black on one side, predominately Mexican in another, and predominately white on the other side of the tracks. Instead of trying to promote racial diversity, there should be more integration.Residential segregation is very prevalent in the Midwest. The West Coast and Northwest Pacific in Seattle seems to be more integrated, but in some areas around LA(especially South LA), Blacks and Mexicans are bitter rivals.
Doesn't this suggest people really don't want diversity. None of these people are segregated by force, Jim Crow is long gone. Even poor Whites and poor Blacks live in different neighborhoods. The truth is that 99% of people who say they want diversity are either only in it for the culture or the food (ie the benefit to them), or else they feel guilty about being White.

I think that both are wrong. Let people be. If you're White and want to live in a Black area, be my guest, but I personally like my White suburb, and in all honesty, would likely not live there if it were mostly any other race.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:32 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,128,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post

It reaches a point where the trade off between ethnic food and all the problems that come with multi-culturalism doesn't balance out.

Speak for yourself.

Are you talking about being fat?

I'm not by the way.

Make falafel, not war!

Old 04-11-2010, 12:35 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,724,695 times
If one claims they don't see color, than it should not matter in any way.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:42 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,156,473 times
Quote:
SouthBound47;13681749]That's interesting. Your belief is that if the majority is White that it is segregated, either by force or self-segregated? Now what about 95% Black neighborhoods? Are they not equally segregated, and lacking in diversity? I'm not saying that you necessarily don't think so, but it's worth looking at if you don't.
Most black neighborhoods that are 95% black in America are a result of continuous white flight and Jim Crow segregation. Blacks(most migrating from the south) moved in predominately white neighborhoods in Chicago, NYC, Detroit, Gary etc. The neighborhood went from diverse to predominately black in a 10 years period, some in a mere 5 years.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:39 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,907,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Doesn't this suggest people really don't want diversity. None of these people are segregated by force, Jim Crow is long gone. Even poor Whites and poor Blacks live in different neighborhoods. The truth is that 99% of people who say they want diversity are either only in it for the culture or the food (ie the benefit to them), or else they feel guilty about being White.
Exactly! This ultimately proves that diversity (in its modern day form) is all but a failure.

I agree with what Chicagoland60426's concentration on racial integration. What I tend to find is that places that are racially integrated and cordial were either:

1) Places that were built or restructured (not gentrified) post Civil Rights
2) Don't have a high concentration of destructive lower income and snooty upper income people in close vicinities
3) Tend to be middle-income or at least don't have wide income bracket gaps between the races
4) Are in places that have less of a racist history or have transplants who are flocking from less racist places.

As I mentioned earlier, DC is very diverse yet very segregated, and the neighborhoods that are diverse tend to have subtle racial tension from all sides. the District of Columbia is the perfect example of how NOT to do racial diversity. As for its suburbs North and West, Particularly Montgomery County, Maryland, and Fairfax, Price William, (and now) Loudoun County in Virginia, those probably have some of the best examples of how racial integration promotes natural diversity. Most of their (notable) development and population growth happened in the past 10-30 years. Most of the neighborhoods are definitely of one socioeconomic class, whether working, middle, or upper class. Most of those places have either minimal or no lower-income neighborhoods, and those that are lower tend to have people who work rather than leech on the Government. And most of the population in those counties are recent transplants not only from around the country, but around the world as well. This results in consensual multiracial neighborhoods and a fair amount of interracial friendships and relationships for adults, but a flourishing of interracial friendships and relationships for their kids, which is what I have seen in these suburbs, but anything but for most of the neighborhoods in the District itself.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:35 PM

92,267 posts, read 122,526,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post

I think that both are wrong. Let people be. If you're White and want to live in a Black area, be my guest, but I personally like my White suburb, and in all honesty, would likely not live there if it were mostly any other race.
Tell this neighborhood that: //www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...racuse-NY.html Look at the demographics and this is supposedly one of the poorest neighborhoods in the US. I think in the Northeast, you can find some neighborhoods with a good amount of both poor/working class Whites and Blacks, along with some other groups.

Here are some examples from a major Midwestern city: //www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...etroit-MI.html

//www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...etroit-MI.html

Old 04-11-2010, 03:36 PM

92,267 posts, read 122,526,056 times
Quote:

Such as.....?

Old 04-11-2010, 03:42 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,899,936 times
Quote:
As I read post I always come across people who judge a place on how racially diverse it is. Most posts indicate a negative social climate to a place if it is too white. I find the more people are alike racially the more people seem to get along with less tension and all the problems that come with multiculturism. This has nothing to do with racism because I don't hate other races since every race has their good and bad elements. But it seems those people who are in love with diversity are following a politically correct mode of thinking.
I'm guessing that most of the people asking that question are not white. Non-white people understandably feel uncomfortable in an area that is exclusively or nearly exclusively white, wondering what has kept other non-white people from moving there.

Most white people who pose the question do so because they think they're supposed to want racial diversity, and do so to make themselves look good. The reality is that most white people are perfectly happy living in neighborhoods that are heavily white, and many actively prefer it.

Whites and blacks also define 'integration' very differently. For most whites, integration means that the black population in a neighborhood is around the percentage of blacks in society as a whole -- 10-15%. For most blacks, a much higher black presence is required for them to consider a neighborhood integrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.