Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 12:54 PM

118 posts, read 139,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
No doubt that every race have had their internal squabbles that sometimes led to a civil war. But what I am talking about is the conflict surrounding multi-cultural societies. I can name so many place around the globe where multi-cultural conflicts are happening right now that I won't list them. The point I am making is that why try to make something work that obviously doesn't as shown by the imperical proof that I just mentioned. Notice that they never say 'diversity is our strength' anymore. They don't say that now because its so obviously false. Anyway they never really told us who that 'our' is in that statement. Its not the strength in our tension filled multi-cutural cities. Its a drag on progress and peaceful living.

Some people say they feel just fine living in a multi-cultural society and they may be true now. But like the weather things always change and all it takes is one inter racial violent act for that fine living feeling to change to fear for ones life.
It's the benefits of diversity we're interacting right now You can enjoy your boring cookie cutter suburb all you want but my youngest girl is half Puerto Rican making you and your kind my enemy. If you or your kind every comes for my family I'll do my best to destroy you and your kind but for now enjoy your whitopia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 02:29 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,860,206 times
Quote:

As far as my not wanting America to multi-cultural I know that America will always be multi-cultural since no one going to send non whites out of the country.
Why should non-whites be the ones sent out of the country? America was an Indian country; its the whites that invaded and stole the country from the native dark skinned people. If anyone should be sent away it should be the whites.

Old 04-14-2010, 03:33 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
I have a lot more in common with non-racist people of other races than I do with a racist white person who might, if we go back enough generations, share a bit of common DNA from some long-gone shared Nordic ancestor. And I can tell you right now that I have absolutely nothing in common from a "cultural" standpoint from someone (of any race) who actively talks about the power of blood connections or who apparently believes race to be our ultimate defining feature.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:28 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
Quote:
No doubt that every race have had their internal squabbles that sometimes led to a civil war. But what I am talking about is the conflict surrounding multi-cultural societies. I can name so many place around the globe where multi-cultural conflicts are happening right now that I won't list them. The point I am making is that why try to make something work that obviously doesn't as shown by the empirical proof that I just mentioned. Notice that they never say 'diversity is our strength' anymore. They don't say that now because its so obviously false. Anyway they never really told us who that 'our' is in that statement. Its not the strength in our tension filled multi-cutural cities. Its a drag on progress and peaceful living.

Some people say they feel just fine living in a multi-cultural society and they may be true now. But like the weather things always change and all it takes is one inter racial violent act for that fine living feeling to change to fear for ones life.
There's good multi-cultural and bad multi-cultural. The conflicts you mean I think have generally occurred when one or more of the culture's deem themselves a kind of ethnic-state that is separatist in an Earthly sense. Or when certain cultures ignore basic laws and standards.

Many multi-cultural societies do fine because the different cultures have something unifying them or because they have agreed to certain restrictions for the common good. The US was always, in a sense, multi-cultural. When we declared independence the Amish were among us as were the remaining Dutch-speakers of New Yorker and the various Jewish communities.

There might be somewhat less trust among people in multi-cultural places, but even then I'd imagine it varies. I do think it's important that everyone knows how to speak English (or some other common language) and shares some core values so I'm not a pure multi-culturalist. I just think within those bounds cultural variety keeps a place lively and avoids stagnation. If this means a few arguments or distrusts it might be worth it. (Although I'm not much on social engineering. I'm not saying let's bus people into Dubuque so they'll be more diverse or something)

Old 04-15-2010, 08:57 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,699,983 times
It is important because if people see something out of what they are accustomed to see then, they will be ignorant. For example, I am used to seeing interracial dating. Now in a place that is not diverse. People will say ugh! how they are together. Many ignorant comments will come out from the people. It is similarly how some people think all hispanics are Mexicans are short, etc...

Old 04-16-2010, 04:14 AM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,658 times
I like diversity because of the diverse selection of food, cool ethnic neighborhoods that are fun to explore, and the different art/culture/festivals that come from the different ethnicities in city. I've lived in extremely diverse areas for most of my life and I've learned so much about other cultures because of it, which made me more interested in traveling abroad. I don't think every place has to be diverse to the point of New York City, but I think a decent amount of diversity can go a long way.

Old 04-17-2010, 01:02 AM

6,914 posts, read 14,757,440 times
(to the TC) Imagine if you were living somewhere that was unicultural (except that there were no white people). Would you see the value of racial diversity then?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.