Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 04:40 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times

Advertisements

The absolute minimum to be considered a major city in the U.S. is 1,000,000 metro population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 06:41 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Why does big government preclude being a big city? Are you saying London, Paris, Rome and Madrid are not big cities because they're capitals?
Paris, London, Rome, and Madrid are, in our collective minds, associated with much, much more than government. I've been to Paris six times, love it. It just occurred to me reading your post that its the capital of France. D.C., on the other hand....

Name one film or TV show that is set in Washington D.C. in which the plot doesn't revolve around the government.

I'll wait.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:44 PM

4,212 posts, read 3,297,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stremba View Post
Kind of ironic that you'd knock NYC for annexing a neighboring city (Brooklyn; and that's the only CITY that NY annexed), but you don't knock Pittsburgh for the same thing (Allegheny City, which is now the North Side and the other neighborhoods north of the Allegheny and Ohio Rivers).
It's actually not ironic at all. Unless we're saying Allegheny City and Brooklyn are comparable. Brooklyn would be like annexing something between Chicago and Philly into an existing city.

Had Allegheny City not been annexed by Pittsburgh in 1907, it have made no difference whatsoever to the stature of Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh pulled a Columbus and just started annexing everything to inflate its population, that would be a different story.

Old 06-27-2018, 06:54 PM

16,556 posts, read 10,630,149 times
Quote:
In America, what counts as a "big city"?

Any city in which any part of the transit system operates 24 hours a day, and/or some of the routes operate every 15 minutes or better during most of the day.

This is a necessary but not sufficient condition, because it applies to some places that have special characteristics, e.g. Ocean City, MD, which is a densely packed summer resort area. But it's a useful benchmark.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:20 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
Paris, London, Rome, and Madrid are, in our collective minds, associated with much, much more than government. I've been to Paris six times, love it. It just occurred to me reading your post that its the capital of France. D.C., on the other hand....

Name one film or TV show that is set in Washington D.C. in which the plot doesn't revolve around the government.

I'll wait.
Lol.

Old 06-27-2018, 11:20 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,568,606 times
Quote:

I'll wait.
Night at the museum feat Nicolas Cage, was not about government.

Captain America

Wonder Woman just shot here three weeks ago.

Last edited by the resident09; 06-27-2018 at 11:30 PM..

Old 06-28-2018, 07:22 AM

977 posts, read 567,604 times
Quote:
It's actually not ironic at all. Unless we're saying Allegheny City and Brooklyn are comparable. Brooklyn would be like annexing something between Chicago and Philly into an existing city.

Had Allegheny City not been annexed by Pittsburgh in 1907, it have made no difference whatsoever to the stature of Pittsburgh. If Pittsburgh pulled a Columbus and just started annexing everything to inflate its population, that would be a different story.
Allegheny City in relation to Pittsburgh WAS comparable to Brooklyn in relation to New York. In the final census (1900) during which Allegheny City existed, it had a population of about 129,000 compared to a population in Pittsburgh of 321,000. In the last census in which Brooklyn existed as an independent city (1890), it had a population of 838,000 compared to a population for NYC of 2,507,000. In both cases, the cities annexed an independent city with a pop about 1/3 of the original city population (give or take).

Old 06-28-2018, 07:24 AM

7 posts, read 6,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA_guy View Post
Lol.
Real Housewives of Potomac

Old 06-28-2018, 07:33 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
Night at the museum feat Nicolas Cage, was not about government.

Captain America

Wonder Woman just shot here three weeks ago.
I think you're mixing up Night at the Museum starring Ben Stiller with National Treasure starring Nicholas Cage. The first of which was based in NYC and the second did indeed involve the US Government. It just wasn't the central theme.

Captain America was set in NYC.

Everything I'm reading simply says Wonder Woman 2 will be set in America. No specific area yet.

You're also mixing up where a movie is set with where it is filmed.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:03 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by losfrisco View Post
name one film or tv show that is set in washington d.c. In which the plot doesn't revolve around the government.

I'll wait.
D.C. Cab, 227
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.