Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 11:21 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,511,513 times

Advertisements

Miami is on a pure GRID system like Manhattan or Seattle, NE, NW , SE & SW and radiate from Flager street & Miami Avenue downtown. Very easy to navigate.

Orlando on the other hand does have a GRID system but they are named streets with absolutely no rhyme or reason!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 12:39 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Most people know how it works in NYC, so I'll say my specific neighborhood. Most towns on the island by me have grid systems, but my town is the exception. We have windy roads and no dead ends. There's sections in each town--like the section of roads named after birds (the bird section), the flower section, plus a few more.

Here's a map from the Census. This is what I mean:
A bit presumptuous, wouldn't you say? I have no idea how the NYC system works. Why would I? I've only been there a couple of times. I'll have to say, I found it fairly easy to get around.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:47 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,642,719 times
Streets and highways of Washington, D.C. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Pretty easy for the most part. It gets a little dicey at the Mall and such because some roads (e.g. Pennsylvania Avenue) aren't continuous and they closed-off many sections of roads after 9/11.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:51 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,839,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
A bit presumptuous, wouldn't you say? I have no idea how the NYC system works. Why would I? I've only been there a couple of times. I'll have to say, I found it fairly easy to get around.

I'm just saying that people can assume NYC has a grid-like system, that's all (since most of the older big cities have that). I didn't mean anything detailed, like about how the numbered streets work or something. Mostly locals just know about that.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:55 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,179,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I'm just saying that people can assume NYC has a grid-like system, that's all (since most of the older big cities have that). I didn't mean anything detailed, like about how the numbered streets work or something. Mostly locals just know about that.
Pittsburgh, also an old city, has a non-system system. My dad said the roads were built on old cowpaths. Now it's a very hilly city, and allowances have to be made for that, but it's a mess, even on the little flat land there is.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:20 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,438,209 times
New Orleans is set on a grid, but the grid follows the Mississippi River and constantly bends and turns. Canal Street divides the city into Uptown (everything upriver from Canal) and Downtown (everything downriver from Canal). Addresses on streets perpendicular to the river start from the river and count up to the lake. Streets parallel to the river are split with a S. prefix Uptown and a N. prefix downtown. The addresses on these streets originate at Canal and count heading up or down river from it.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:21 PM

23,310 posts, read 43,763,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Pittsburgh, also an old city, has a non-system system. My dad said the roads were built on old cowpaths. Now it's a very hilly city, and allowances have to be made for that, but it's a mess, even on the little flat land there is.
Same goes for Atlanta, which outside of Downtown and Midtown (which are gridded) looks like someone threw a plate of spaghetti at the wall.

Old 04-12-2010, 02:24 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,394,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJad View Post
Just curious if you can find a set of street names in your city that follow a pattern. For example in Boston, we have in the Midtown area near the Prudential an alphabetic sorting of streets that cut perpendicular to Boylston St.

A) Arlington St.
B) Berkeley St.
C) Clarendon St
D) Dartmouth St
E) Exeter St
F) Fairfield St
G) Gloucester St
H) Hereford St
I) Ipswitch St
J) Jersey St
K) Kilmamock St

There is also the thoroughfare lining Boston landmarks from Jamaica Plain to Fenway Park.

Arnold Arboretum (Arbor way)
Jamaica Pond (Jamaica way)
Muddy River (River way)
The Fens (Fen way)

Please share what your city has got.
How long have you been in Boston? I've never heard the term "Midtown" here haha. 99.99999% of the population call it Back Bay. I'm currently sitting at my desk in between Clarendon and Dartmouth

Old 04-12-2010, 02:39 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,394,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Same goes for Atlanta, which outside of Downtown and Midtown (which are gridded) looks like someone threw a plate of spaghetti at the wall.
Haha, great way of describing it. With the exception of a couple areas, the entire city of Boston & surrounding cities are a chaos of streets with no rhyme or reason. It's fantastic...except if you're unfamiliar with the area haha.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:22 PM

521 posts, read 1,308,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Haha, great way of describing it. With the exception of a couple areas, the entire city of Boston & surrounding cities are a chaos of streets with no rhyme or reason. It's fantastic...except if you're unfamiliar with the area haha.
the hardest city I've driven in...an outsider or visitor can easily get lost in Boston! and some of the roughest drivers i encountered! lol it was kinda fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.