Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:07 AM

5 posts, read 7,739 times

Advertisements

Hi, ok well i'm new to this forum so i just wanted to say Hi to everyone and i would also enjoy some everyones opinion on some questions i have.
Well i start college in aug of this year and i will be in college for 3 years and after that i have to transfer to a differant school but my main focus is what state should i move to. Right now i live in Alabama i'v lived here all my life and i want to move out of the deep south ya know like; miss,Al,Ga,Fl.
Ok so i want the state to be on the coast so no inland states like ten. My bf loves boats and jet ski's.

i want all four season but not to dramatic. like summer i want the average to be around 70 to 85 NOOOO humidity please lol. i want to see the leaves change color in fall and winter i want snow not so much snow im shoveling my way out the door every morning but enough to go snow skiiing and enjoy the snow.

Ok so the only states i will not move to is really..
California
texas
Louisiana
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
south carolina
florida

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 10:11 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times
Check out schools in the following metros--Boston, DC, NYC, Philadelphia...basically the northeast. We have really good colleges too.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:16 AM

Yea i thought about Philadelphia and it seems to have alot of culture. which is sort of a big thing for me i want to move some where that has a big diverse culture unlike alabama the only culture we have is about cival rights and i want my kids to be around something differant like indian culture and british culture idk lol ( i dont have kids yet but where ever i move i will most likely stay there and have a family and everything) thank you

Old 04-13-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie91q View Post
Yea i thought about Philadelphia and it seems to have alot of culture. which is sort of a big thing for me i want to move some where that has a big diverse culture unlike alabama the only culture we have is about cival rights and i want my kids to be around something differant like indian culture and british culture idk lol ( i dont have kids yet but where ever i move i will most likely stay there and have a family and everything) thank you
I'm lol @ the comment about civil rights being the only culture.

The thing about Philadelphia is that it may be hotter in the summer and have a little more snow than the coastal cities. But the cost of living is cheaper than, say, NYC and Boston. I've been to Philly many times, and I always think of it like a smaller version of NYC (I'm from there).

Old 04-13-2010, 10:23 AM

Is the water really polluted or just nasty up toward Deleware? idk if you look on google earth it looks like its pollluted idk? My dream would be washington the state but i dont think i can talk my bf into moving there lol

Old 04-13-2010, 10:25 AM

Washington state would probably be the best choice, or Oregon.

I don't think it's that polluted. Never heard anything about it, so it can't be too bad lol.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:33 AM

i read somewhere on here that in oregon you have to know spanish to comunicate with most people idk i doubt it but yea...i barely passed spanish in high school lol.

yea washington the only problem im having is trying to find a city on the coast that has a college and i would prefer not to live in seattle. I was looking in the grays harbor area idk

Old 04-13-2010, 10:42 AM

I don't really know enough about Washington state. I've only been to Vancouver, Washington, which is in the Portland metro area. It also seems to be what you're looking for.

I never heard about how you need to know spanish in Oregon, lol. I used to teach in a school here in NYC where 70% of the parents only knew spanish. I know a little spanish and could just barely get by...so if you know a little bit no matter where you live, you'll be fine.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:13 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I'm lol @ the comment about civil rights being the only culture.

The thing about Philadelphia is that it may be hotter in the summer and have a little more snow than the coastal cities. But the cost of living is cheaper than, say, NYC and Boston. I've been to Philly many times, and I always think of it like a smaller version of NYC (I'm from there).
Yeah the NE have one of the best school if not the best schools.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:30 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie91q View Post
Is the water really polluted or just nasty up toward Deleware? idk if you look on google earth it looks like its pollluted idk? My dream would be washington the state but i dont think i can talk my bf into moving there lol
From looking at the map, I think your referring to the water near Baltimore (it appears brown). I also see a little brown east of Dover... i'm not sure that those waters are severely polluted as they appear on the map (because the Dover area isn't a dirty place)

Plus the Hudson river between NYC and NJ appears blue... THAT'S polluted water. (though they had a seal around Jersey City recently, showing improvement in the water quality)

I was going to suggest Maryland. Towson University is a great school, so is Baltimore University. There's plenty of great affordable places in the area too such as Carney, Parkville (Carney is apart of Parkville and parts of Parkville are within Baltimore city limits, but I'm not sure of what their situation is) and Towson.
I personally wouldn't live in Baltimore itself, but the suburbs are some of my favorite suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.