Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington DC: Southern, Northern, or No Man's Land?
Northern City with Southern Overtones 13 33.33%
Southern city with Northern Overtones 4 10.26%
A hybrid of both 13 33.33%
No Man's Land- its neither duck nor pond. 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 04:13 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,601,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Virginia is not the North. If it is, then my ancestors are rolling in their graves.

I just wanted to claify that I never said Virginia, as a whole, is in the North, just NoVA and above. I've been to the Southern Virginia area a few times, and while it may not be like Alabama, I'd describe it as the "Upper-South." Hope that makes you feel better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 04:16 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,798,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I just wanted to claify that I never said Virginia, as a whole, is in the North, just NoVA and above. I've been to the Southern Virgnia area a few times, and while it may not be like Alabama, I'd describe it as the "Upper-South." Hope that makes you feel better.
Well, IMO, NOVA is not the North its the gateway to the South (it even says so in my travel book) and once you hit Richmond you're in the real South.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:13 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,050,733 times
Im from NY and when I visit DC it seems southern to me. But I'd call it a northern City with some southern characteristics.

As to Virginia.....imo it was more southern back in the day. Nowadays I consider it in the south, but not in the same way I think of Georgia. Anyways why would anyone take offense to someone saying its not Southern. Actually I think it is a compliment. Why would you wanna be considered a toothless hillbilly rascist hick....which is what the majority of the South is.

The north its where it's at.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Im from NY and when I visit DC it seems southern to me. But I'd call it a northern City with some southern characteristics.

As to Virginia.....imo it was more southern back in the day. Nowadays I consider it in the south, but not in the same way I think of Georgia. Anyways why would anyone take offense to someone saying its not Southern. Actually I think it is a compliment. Why would you wanna be considered a toothless hillbilly rascist hick....which is what the majority of the South is.

Um excuse me? No.

Southern to me is none of that. Hilbillys and racism are everywhere- in the North too. Thats not what makes a place Southern. I would say thats not even a rural vs. urban either.

Southern to me is laid back, gentility, refinement, manners, hospitality , beautiful women, and lots of sweet tea.

Your assesment of the South is way off.

You can find lots of those ill bred hick folks in Upstate New York and Western Mass...

Old 09-11-2007, 10:13 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
I don't understand for the life of me why people try to compare deep South states to other Southern states. Is Alabama and Georgia the same? How about Mississippi and Louisiana?

Old 09-11-2007, 10:59 AM

699 posts, read 2,237,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
How is Richmond different from Baltimore or D.C.? They're both fairly fast paced, large metropolitan East Coast cities. They all have that same, intangible, hard to explain, northeastern feel. I don't see Richmond being very southern at all. Not now, not in 2007. At one point in time, sure it was a southern city, capital of the Confederacy. I know the history, I know about the Civil War. But that was then, this is now. Again I ask, what about Richmond is southern?
Richmond is definately a southern city, but I do kind of agree with you. Richmond is no way similar to Baltimore or DC, but Richmond itself is changing. Many of the old areas are being torn down and new buildings are going up. It reflects the economic growth and increasing wealth of the city.

When I first attended VCU in 1998, the surronding areas like Broad Street were pretty much run down, old, vacant buildings. Fastforward 10 years later, and now many new buildings are going up, and while they make the city look much more attractive, there is nothing southern about its architecture or style.

The lifestyle, while still laidback compared to many of the cities to the north, has increasingly picked up pace, especially in the city itself. In the city, I didn't hear that many people with accents to begin with. And I heard less and less accents in the suburbs as time went on. Richmond is changing for better or worse. 40 years ago, Vasinger said that NoVA was southern. In another 40 years, Richmond may no longer be southern as well.

Last edited by tenken627; 09-11-2007 at 11:08 AM..

Old 09-11-2007, 11:21 AM

2,247 posts, read 7,030,789 times
I just don't get how people say Richmond (and the rest of Virginia for that matter) is not Dixie. They don't have to be in the Deep South to be considered Southern. Same with the northern half of Florida.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts View Post
I just don't get how people say Richmond (and the rest of Virginia for that matter) is not Dixie. They don't have to be in the Deep South to be considered Southern. Same with the northern half of Florida.
Exactly !

I know some people will only include the South as the very southern tips of Mississippi or Alabama.

Shoot, why not just go all the way to Mexico. Anything north of Mexico isn't Dixie.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:32 AM

63 posts, read 259,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
Exactly !

I know some people will only include the South as the very southern tips of Mississippi or Alabama.

Shoot, why not just go all the way to Mexico. Anything north of Mexico isn't Dixie.
That is funny. I just posted about that - how my MD-born cousin and his NC-born, Southern-born-and-raised wife are both considered Yankees by his South Carolina coworkers. Depends on what part of the South or North you really are in.

Old 09-13-2007, 08:47 AM

63 posts, read 259,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post

Even though I'd say DC and MD are definitely in the South, the cities of Washington and Baltimore have some very strong Northern characteristics. I'd say they're Southern cities with a very strong Northern personality to them. Delaware? I have no idea.

As for calling DC Northern being a compliment: Dude, you've probably been told this before, but here goes: not everybody in the South is a toothless, hillbilly racist - I wouldn't even say the majority is. Just like the majority of New Yorkers are not at all rude or obnoxious, as the stereotype goes! I hope neither is just wishful thinking, but there you have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.