Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington DC: Southern, Northern, or No Man's Land?
Northern City with Southern Overtones 13 33.33%
Southern city with Northern Overtones 4 10.26%
A hybrid of both 13 33.33%
No Man's Land- its neither duck nor pond. 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 03:22 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,821,552 times

Advertisements

I'd say it's an Eastern city, through and through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 09:20 PM

182 posts, read 540,799 times
Default It's the south, sorry

Haha, compared to any city north of the beautiful state of Maryland, the people down here are much friendlier, the pace much slower, the lifestyle much more conventional. DC is the capital of the free world, but DC is the begining of the South.

You just know traveling down I-95 once you reach Maryland you're in the South. Sorry, guys! It's just the way it is. Defend to the death all you want, but you are fighting an uphill battle.

This overhype of DC being a hustle/bustle metropolis with the best restaurants and museums is a complete joke.

In DC they will rank a chain restaurant as having one of the best burgers and Italian food around.

Take a trip to Philly, NYC, Boston. You will notice a dramatic difference.

The DC metro area does have great bike trails, though.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:44 PM

14 posts, read 46,109 times
Just to add my really late 2 cents, my DC school recently went on a rugby trip to Radford, VA and everybody said that it was an entirely different country.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:25 PM

208 posts, read 1,217,986 times
Washington DC is northern in my opinion. They got there own accent that is somewhat different than everywhere else, but it's not southern. For instance most DC folk say Bama non stop, which is a slur on the south. Originally, a Bama was a southerner (from Virginia, for instance) trying to blend in up north, but was so obviously country that it didn't work. Now it's more general and just means someone funny-looking, unsophisticated or country as hell. Then you have to replace "like" with "ji" or "ja", I have heard this all the time, "carry" is "Cuuree". Everything in DC is fast paced, very fast paced in my opinion.

Do Washingtonian's have the southern mindset? No. It's just not there.

Also: Saying Richmond isn’t southern is just weird, drive around tell me how many rebel flag bumper stickers you see. Compare the pace of people in Richmond vs. DC, there is a BIG difference.

Saying Virginia doesn’t have any native southern accent's is also incorrect, you have the Tidewater Accent along the east central part of the state, then you have more of a mountain Appalachia accent in the West-central/South-West part of the state. (What you would hear in Kentucky parts of western North Carolina, and West Virginia)

what a Tidewater Accent sounds like:

YouTube - Too Goode to be true

Old 03-21-2009, 12:43 AM

290 posts, read 1,159,570 times
It isnt either, its obviously Mid-Atlantic..Definitely different than Philly/NYC/Boston..The African-Americans of the city have alot of southern characteristics as well..

Old 03-21-2009, 10:09 AM

208 posts, read 1,217,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToughLuv View Post
It isnt either, its obviously Mid-Atlantic..Definitely different than Philly/NYC/Boston..The African-Americans of the city have alot of southern characteristics as well..
I don’t know, DC is different than Philly, Boston and New York. There are some slight southern characteristics in the way they talk, but not much. The only thing comparable with style in DC with the south is dreads, plus you got north face jacket goonies lol. The rap style is completely different to; here are some examples of why I think so.

A quick comparison......

Washington DC

YouTube - J.A. - DC SNOOPY

YouTube - Beat Rock - Tabi Bonney (Cool Kids Forever Films)

YouTube - welcome to dc

Richmond Virginia

YouTube - Disco Ballin

YouTube - MAKE IT OUT OF RICHMOND

YouTube - RedRum feat. Yung Ralph"If I Aint A Switchman"

Old 03-21-2009, 10:44 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,214,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01va571 View Post
I don’t know, DC is different than Philly, Boston and New York. There are some slight southern characteristics in the way they talk, but not much. The only thing comparable with style in DC with the south is dreads, plus you got north face jacket goonies lol. The rap style is completely different to; here are some examples of why I think so.

A quick comparison......

Washington DC

YouTube - J.A. - DC SNOOPY

YouTube - Beat Rock - Tabi Bonney (Cool Kids Forever Films)

YouTube - welcome to dc

Richmond Virginia

YouTube - Disco Ballin

YouTube - MAKE IT OUT OF RICHMOND

YouTube - RedRum feat. Yung Ralph"If I Aint A Switchman"

Here's a better version of the "Welcome to DC" video that you posted(DCFD) :
YouTube - DCFD Tribute Video, Welcome to DC

I definitely think DC feels more northern than southern. It's a fast-paced city with many transplants. Many of these transplants may have come from the northern cities.

Like 01va said... There's even a difference in VA. NoVa is nothing like Richmond. The culture and type of people doesn't need to change just because a sate line if crossed. If DC if fast and northern-like, then why would the cities right across the river(that used to be part of DC) be the complete opposite?

Old 03-26-2009, 03:22 PM

290 posts, read 1,159,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01va571 View Post

A quick comparison......
Richmond is VERY southern though, but thats due to its past..Compare it to Newport News/VA Beach, look at the style from there..Its very east coast and NYC influenced from music like the Clipse, to slang "yo, son"..so its and unfair comparison..Richmond should b in NC or SC honestly..and 757 should be closer to DC lol..I swear the two areas are in reverse..

Old 03-28-2009, 07:56 PM

7 posts, read 18,484 times
Very diffrent from New York and Boston....or not. I've never been there.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:39 AM

13 posts, read 54,586 times
Default The Truth

DC serves the interests of the entire United States and is pretty much located central between the northern regions of the U.S and the southern regions. Therefore it exhibits traits of both regions. In my opinion, Baltimore feels northern, Richmond feels southern, and DC is neutral.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.