Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington DC: Southern, Northern, or No Man's Land?
Northern City with Southern Overtones 13 33.33%
Southern city with Northern Overtones 4 10.26%
A hybrid of both 13 33.33%
No Man's Land- its neither duck nor pond. 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 05:12 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,337,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
IMO, with the gridlock traffic, high cost of living, and international diversity of the DC and its surrounding suburbs, the DC area can be argued as having some western attributes as well, lol.
Western? Now there is one I haven't heard before. if there is anything I can argue that D.C. does not have, it is a Western feel. D.C. feels VERY eastern. As to Northern and Southern...I'd it's Northern with some southern characteristics. IT has the hustle and bustle of a northern city but at the same time has a bit more of a Southern feel to it than say, Baltimore or Philadelphia, being located at the border of Maryland and Virginia. It has a middle climate. Architecture has somewhat of a Southern/Northern appearance. Its pace is definitely that of a Northeastern city i'd argue. Compare it to Philadelphia and you should find a lot more in common then with Richmond. I always have...especially given that Philadelphia was the former capital of the United States.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 09:08 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,039,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviodante View Post
Are you serious Terrapin? It's meant to be a play-on-words... JFK, when he said that, was sort of poking fun at the capital... it is usually northern efficiency and southern charm, but by reversing this, JFK was being sly and was implying that the city had neither charm (as a Southern city would) nor efficiency (as a Northern city would).

Get it?
Thanks ... I thought everyone knew that old joke.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:19 PM

786 posts, read 4,720,375 times
Washington DC is a very harsh unfriendly place and fits right in with the Northeast. There is nothing Southern about the DC area anymore.

Old 06-10-2007, 02:37 PM

20,501 posts, read 33,317,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Western? Now there is one I haven't heard before. if there is anything I can argue that D.C. does not have, it is a Western feel. D.C. feels VERY eastern..
I think that was more tounge-in-cheek than it was truth. I maybe wrong, though.

Old 06-10-2007, 03:21 PM

4,105 posts, read 8,258,726 times
Other than the low educational attainment, I can't think of any way DC is like a southern city.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:41 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,875,472 times
DC is more economically linked with the Northeast. The trade and transit corridors on any map will help you confirm what you already know to be true. Luke, I am your Father! (I'm from the government, and here to parasite off, er help you!)

It would be "fairer" to relocate the national capital to, say, Cincinnati or St Louis (closer to the geographic and population center of the nation), but I don't know any Westerners that would prefer that, other than perhaps Nancy Pelosi. Then again, if they reauthorize her preferred flight plan, she's all ok with DC.
Been there, and I hear it's a nice place from those that live there. [Need a friend? Get a dog!] Maybe they refer more specifically to their paychecks ... one for you ... the rest for me in my government contractor paycheck! har har!

Old 06-10-2007, 08:06 PM

7,246 posts, read 10,489,726 times
Everyone knows about the cultural links with the South in DC's history, but echoing the sentiments of others who have posted, I think that -- regardless of its position below the Mason-Dixon line -- there really isn't any "Southerness" left, and the DC area brings up the tail-end of the Northeastern megalopolis. The void of "Southerness" same is often said for Maryland and Northern Virginia. No, DC doesn't have the same exact Northeastern, big-city character as Boston, NYC, Philly, or Baltimore, but that doesn't make it Southern. The city was actually designed by a French architect, Pierre L'Enfant -- so to me DC feels more European, if anything. Also, the economic and cultural ties that Washington PRESENTLY has with the North greatly supersedes that of the South. Interesting topic, however.

Explore DC: Pierre L'Enfant

Old 06-10-2007, 08:15 PM

572 posts, read 2,082,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
Washington DC is a very harsh unfriendly place and fits right in with the Northeast. There is nothing Southern about the DC area anymore.
Funny, when I visit DC I'm alway shocked at how friendly the people are there.

But then again, I'm from CT where the people are charming.....if you catch them on a good day.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:52 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,776,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Where is the option for Northern city without Southern undertones? Washington is the beginning of the Northeastern megalopolis: DC, Baltimore, Philly, New York, Boston. Also known as BosNYWash (pronounced Bozneywash).
I dont know. Looking at the map, Washington is a bit too far south to be part of the true Northeast.

I consider it Mid-Atlantic bordering on Southern.

Old 06-10-2007, 11:09 PM

7,246 posts, read 10,489,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremeyk482 View Post
Funny, when I visit DC I'm alway shocked at how friendly the people are there.
Hmm. What part of DC did you visit? I feel like most people in DC are VERY self-absorbed and pay little attention to one another, which is due in no small part to the prevalent infatuation with having the best career and highest-paying salary. The only way people may come across some friendliness in DC is from those who work in the tourism industry, in which case it is their JOB to be friendly. Those arguing that DC has any "southern" influence certainly shouldn't be referring to hospitality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.