Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Washington DC: Southern, Northern, or No Man's Land?
Northern City with Southern Overtones 13 33.33%
Southern city with Northern Overtones 4 10.26%
A hybrid of both 13 33.33%
No Man's Land- its neither duck nor pond. 9 23.08%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 12:52 AM

3,742 posts, read 8,390,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
To be honest it DOES. You know Frederick County had to put a moratorium on new construction between its water supply ran out???!?!?!?!?!? This is something I would not expect outside of Las Vegas, Phoenix, or Albuqerque. Also the area is very decentralized economy a lot like LA. There's teh federal government in DC, but also major private employment centers in the Dulles Airport corridor, Tyson's Corner, downtown Bethesda and Silver Spring, etc. The traffic is also a lot like LA's.

Baltimore though is clearly a northern city, with its stagnant economy, drab brick buildings (sorry I really hate brick rowhouses....either graceful historic buildings like New Orleans and Charleston or San Francisco....or supermodern stuff like Vegas, Atlanta, Tampa, and Miami...dont' give me that ugly depressing red brick stuff) decaying warehouses and neighborhoods, etc etc.
If D.C. is western then Minneapolis might as well be Southern, New Orleans Northern, and Los Angeles Eastern. This is getting out of control
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 07:44 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,279 times
Honestly, I don't think you can classify DC as a northern or southern city. It's really in a league by itself. And I've visited NYC and Boston, as well as Atlanta, Florida, KY, and TX.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:14 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,796,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
Honestly, I don't think you can classify DC as a northern or southern city. It's really in a league by itself. And I've visited NYC and Boston, as well as Atlanta, Florida, KY, and TX.
I kind of agree with you there. When I say DC is more of a Southern city- I don't mean its in any way like a true Southern city. Its just that to me, it feels a little more southern than northern. And given its history, and how it was a country music capital back in the 50's when it was very regional to the South. Most people like to group DC with the big cities of the Northeast, I just feel that it has a different vibe to it that I recognize as slightly more southern than northern.

Like most people say, its really a mix of both.

I also have been to Atlanta- and ironically, that city felt northern to me. Or at least not as southern as Richmond.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:31 PM

88 posts, read 383,361 times
DC is northern!

END OF STORY!

Old 06-13-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
I kind of agree with you there. When I say DC is more of a Southern city- I don't mean its in any way like a true Southern city. Its just that to me, it feels a little more southern than northern. And given its history, and how it was a country music capital back in the 50's when it was very regional to the South. Most people like to group DC with the big cities of the Northeast, I just feel that it has a different vibe to it that I recognize as slightly more southern than northern.

Like most people say, its really a mix of both.

I also have been to Atlanta- and ironically, that city felt northern to me. Or at least not as southern as Richmond.
I find southern cities to be very friendly but conservative and religious. Northern cities? Not as friendly, but pretty liberal and secular. People in DC are also not as friendly as I'd like it to be (not even as friendly as some of the northern cities), and they are VERY liberal like San Fran whereas the suburbs are a little more laid back and moderately conservative. Maybe it's all that politics that separates DC from everything else?

Personally, I think there is SO MUCH potential for DC to be the best city in the world... even putting European cities to shame. It COULD be a GREAT place... full of beautiful AND friendly women, great public transit system, has all four seasons and all kinds of weather, lots of things to do, mountains only 2 hours away and the beach 3 hours away. But no, DC does not live up to that potential. Sure, it has a strong job market, but the jobs are mostly government, and it's hard to get into the government... and there are lots of rude people in DC - I think it's because of the politics and the strong feminist influence (where do they go to make political change? DC and the courts, of course!) What a wasteful shame.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:37 PM

793 posts, read 3,121,663 times
My choice, given the option would be to check off DC as, "a giant bureaucratic cesspool of traffic congestion and suburbia hell". Navigating by car within Manhattan is a field day in comparison. What a freaking fiasco to this day, as I still suffer nightmares from the living experience. I wouldn't call it northern or southern. Just hell on earth.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown stuntman View Post
My choice, given the option would be to check off DC as, "a giant bureaucratic cesspool of traffic congestion and suburbia hell". Navigating by car within Manhattan is a field day in comparison. What a freaking fiasco to this day, as I still suffer nightmares from the living experience. I wouldn't call it northern or southern. Just hell on earth.
And I didn't even mention traffic in my previous post.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:54 PM

793 posts, read 3,121,663 times
Seriously, there are things I love being in DC for, at least as a tourist- great museums, some downright gorgeous areas and parkways, Arlington Cemetary, Georgetown district...but lack of public transit- or should I say lack of UTILIZATION of public transit? I agree DC COULD be terrific all-round, but I think what makes it such a disaster is such a huge transient population (federal govt workers orginally from all points and in-between). Most people aren't well-versed to big city life, nor care to be. It is the east coast version of LA from that standpoint. Hence, the horrific traffic and the vast majority (of course, not all) of uninspiring and sterile suburban towns around the beltway as opposed to other big metros such as Boston & New York.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:58 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,958 times
Quote:
Texas is just more Western to me, than Southern. East Texas may be like the South, but its not like the Old South, like Virginia is.

Are you saying just because I'm from Virginia which is the Upper South and not the Deep South, that I'm not qualified to know what is Southern and what isn't?
I'm from Richmond, Virginia which is very Southern. And I know people from Georgia who say its feels more southern here than in Georgia

Virginia has a long hot humid climate, respectively, and we have magnolias and dogwood trees, and even palm trees along the coast, so I can match you there as well. We grow cotton, peanuts, tobacco, etc.

We have tons of southern cuisine, including spoonbread, which some of the most southern of southerners don't even know much about.

They get snow in Georgia and Tennessee. Does that make them not the South?

Most every southerner I know considers Virginia the South. Ironically, I know a few northerners that don't, but I guess thats their opinion.
As I was saying...

Old 06-13-2007, 05:07 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,958 times
Quote:
I agree with your statements. And ironically, us Virginians don't consider Houstoun, Texas, the South.
Do not speak for all Virginians. Speak for yourself. My family in Virginia look at us, here in Houston and Georgia, as the southern half of the family, and the northern half of the family is in Virginia, Jersey, and Brooklyn. It snows probably every year in Virginia, it hardly snows in Georgia. Also, you should keep in mind that Virginia is not even in the Sunbelt.

What I don't understand is how if I'm all the way down here, I'm less qualified to say what's the south then you, who's all the way up there. The only way anybody could not consider the eastern half of Texas southern is because they have not really been there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.