Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 09:36 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,510,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
In my estimation, Portland has the best mass transit system, pound for pound, in the country. I am headed back there again in two weeks, and will be able to accomplish what I've done previously: ride on the light rail, from the airport, to my cousin's house, which is all the way over on the opposite (west) side of town, Washington Park, for one dollar. From there, it's only a half mile walk.
Its been a long long time since the fare was a buck. A one way ticket is $2.30 and will be $2.35 by summer time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cacto View Post
Denver's freezing. Portland OR's a hell of a lot warmer than upstate NY
Portland is not all that warm during the winter months. Of course if your comparing it to Maine then its warmer, but its definitely not a warm place. In fact beyond all that rain is alot of wind and its a cold wind coming in from the mountains and across the Columbia River.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:44 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Its been a long long time since the fare was a buck. A one way ticket is $2.30 and will be $2.35 by summer time.
Last I was there in '07, I could've swore the MAX was under $2.00.
Somewhat of a considerable jump in 2-3 years time.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
A one zone ticket is around $1.75 but that only gets you like 2 or 3 stops beyond downtown. Most all travel involves more than that, so the ticket is $2.30. A monthly pass is $86.00. Trimet the transit company has cut alot of bus routes and the trains are going to only a few an hour except rush hour in Sept. Budget cuts here in Portland as with most transit companys in America. Yes our fares have been going up and up in the last few years. It won't be long before its $3.00 for a one way ticket and we all know its coming probably in 2011. Trimet has to get money from somewhere beyond the Feds, so they will go to the passengers for the funds.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:45 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,104,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
A one zone ticket is around $1.75 but that only gets you like 2 or 3 stops beyond downtown. Most all travel involves more than that, so the ticket is $2.30. A monthly pass is $86.00. Trimet the transit company has cut alot of bus routes and the trains are going to only a few an hour except rush hour in Sept. Budget cuts here in Portland as with most transit companys in America. Yes our fares have been going up and up in the last few years. It won't be long before its $3.00 for a one way ticket and we all know its coming probably in 2011. Trimet has to get money from somewhere beyond the Feds, so they will go to the passengers for the funds.
Better than no bus or rail service at all.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:27 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,793,722 times
Quote:
I rode in Summer of 08, and it was 1 dollar from the airport to Washington Park.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Better than no bus or rail service at all.

I agree. My only faults with our system and I feel they are justified is this. Im originally from the Boston area and use to transit. Portland's transit has alot of crime, much more than I ever saw on Boston's. Its obvious why. A different type population here and many and I mean many do not pay their fare. Leaving it up to those that do to withstand all the fare hikes. Way to many crime types riding these trains for free. The transit company does little to remedy that fact. There are no direct or nonstop routes during rush hour. Say to the airport or to the employment centers in the Hillsboro area. Everything is routed thru downtown and it is very slow trying to get to work at rush hour, because of no non stops or limited express trains. I work at the airport. The transit company is a private enterprise and does not come under any juristriction from the city of Portland. So increasing fares and anything else Trimet wants to do they can get away with. Most transit companys in this country are under city control.

Other than that. I know its alot of fauts, but I am glad we have all this transit as I drive very little here. Between transit and all the walking I do, my vehicle was driven only 1200 miles last year, and I qualify for the low mileage discount on my car insurance.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:38 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,483,747 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-o...s-without.html

Old 04-19-2010, 10:42 AM

810 posts, read 2,161,439 times
could the op please respond?

Old 05-04-2010, 03:25 AM

108 posts, read 198,836 times
Just out of curiousity, does anyone know what the rent is like in Denver, CO as compared to Portland, OR? Just asking here since the cities are being compared on this thread and thought maybe one of the posters with more knowledge could respond? Would be much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.