U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2015, 02:44 PM

169 posts, read 458,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap70621 View Post
The picture is taken from the top of the spire. Make the image full screen and draw an imaginary line between the Statue of Liberty and Bayonne Bridge. You'll see what appears to be a power plant with a tall smokestack. Zoom in as far as possible and look at the horizon, it is blurry but it appears some buildings are visible on the horizon. Might just be my eyes playing games with me, but Google Earth confirms Philadelphia is in that direction, about 80 miles.
The line does point towards downtown Philadelphia. But it also goes through northern New Jersey and Trenton. We need the damn Hubble Telescope to make out what those buildings are on the horizon.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 02:57 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,224,807 times
you could see DTLA Skyline from Newport Coast/Irvine, and the road leading up to Big Bear Lake in the IE.

Old 02-01-2015, 03:48 PM

12,899 posts, read 12,666,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoozi View Post
The line does point towards downtown Philadelphia. But it also goes through northern New Jersey and Trenton. We need the damn Hubble Telescope to make out what those buildings are on the horizon.
Seriously. I'm having a hard time controlling the 360 degree zoom, but I can barely clearly see the Verrazano and people are telling me you can supposedly see Philly?

Old 02-01-2015, 09:40 PM

6,910 posts, read 18,004,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl415 View Post
Seriously. I'm having a hard time controlling the 360 degree zoom, but I can barely clearly see the Verrazano and people are telling me you can supposedly see Philly?
I drew a straight line on a map between WTC and CC Philly, then (on a 32" monitor) I zoomed in as far as possible, panned around using landmarks along my straight line to guide me. I can see something on the horizon in the precise direction of CC Philly, but it is so faint I cannot confirm it's actually Philly. Could be a water tower in West Windsor for all I know.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:06 AM

645 posts, read 751,600 times
My friend said you can see New York from CN Tower in Toronto on clear summer day. I did not see it coz i went on a foggy day.

Old 02-05-2015, 10:43 AM

1,775 posts, read 2,592,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
When I used to live in NC we were occasionally able to see Uptown Charlotte from the top of Grandfather Mountain- 80+ miles away. Still probably the furthest view of a skyline I've seen. Check it out-

http://blogs.lib.unc.edu/morton/wp-c..._006328_10.jpg

Honorable mention: Denver from many points on the Front Range and Seattle from the Olympics
When the conditions are right, you can see DT Denver from the top of Pikes Peak, 70 miles SSW.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:19 PM

442 posts, read 447,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar77 View Post
Here's Atlanta's skyline from Blood Mountain, in NE GA on the Appalachian Trail. According to Google Maps, it's approximately 74 miles from Blood Mountain to downtown Atlanta. The mountain in the foreground is Sawnee Mountain (not "Suwanee Mountain" as stated in OP), a smaller mountain located near Cumming, GA, an exurb of Atlanta. Original thread: Atlanta and Suwanee Mountain were both visible from the top of Blood Mountain today. [OC 5184x3456 15MB] : Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkSkyline117 View Post

NYC skyline from Parsippany, NJ

And if you look very closely, you can see the Philadelphia skyline in this bottom photo...taken from Kingda Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmd41280 View Post
Apparently, Charlotte's skyline is also visible from the summits of Mt. Mitchell and Roan Mountain...

Mount Mitchell - Blue Ridge Parkway Daily - Maps, Pictures, News

Sunrise from Roan Mountain -- Nature & Landscapes in photography-on-the.net forums

Those are all some beautiful pictures!!

I can see DT Minneapolis from the neighborhood in which I grew up - about 17 miles away (to the East). When I was a kid, the trees were pretty new, still, and I could see the Capital in St. Paul and the skyline in Mpls...it was pretty cool!

Old 02-05-2015, 09:26 PM

14,870 posts, read 19,950,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppethammer26 View Post
I found this website about the new World Trade Center in New York and yes you can see Atlantic City and Philadelphia skylines from the tower.

1 World Trade Center: TIME’s View From The Top Of NYC - TIME
Cool view but i can't see Philly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
https://www.flickr.com/photos/56275015@N06/12507908014

Not sure how many miles this is but I figure between 30-40 miles out in the Atlantic.
Beautiful, this is my favorite

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A.-Mex View Post
you could see DTLA Skyline from Newport Coast/Irvine, and the road leading up to Big Bear Lake in the IE.
Really? that's awesome... is there pics?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bi...6d45765fbb53bf

^is this the spot where you can see it? on a more clear day of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaSoup View Post
Those are all some beautiful pictures!!

I can see DT Minneapolis from the neighborhood in which I grew up - about 17 miles away (to the East). When I was a kid, the trees were pretty new, still, and I could see the Capital in St. Paul and the skyline in Mpls...it was pretty cool!
Cool we must be from the same city, i know of a spot where you can see both skylines together...

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.9329...Kradq7lbOw!2e0

The dark object in front is the Wells Fargo Center in St Paul.
The other building behind it are Minneapolis' tallest skyscrapers.

Old 02-05-2015, 09:34 PM

14,870 posts, read 19,950,579 times
Cool view of Minneapolis is going northbound on 35W about 15 miles south of the city..... the freeway goes down the valley and you can see the skyline perfectly...

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.7607...pE8bg5Y_Ug!2e0

In person it is much more clear and larger.

Similar view approaching Denver.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.5256...4Mz5Hk6vjw!2e0

Old 02-06-2015, 06:25 AM

273 posts, read 413,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow- View Post
Probably had the right lighting on it too. For instance in the morning on a clear day. Today I noticed Columbus' skyline just booming in the sunlight and the buildings stood out like huge shadows, it looked awesome.
Update:

I saw a wonderful view of the Columbus skyline and a wide spread of city lights on Route 188 almost halfway between Circleville and Lancaster, just before the *****way/Fairfield County Line.

If it weren't for the traffic and lack of a good camera, I would have looked for a vantage point and snapped a photo. It was a stronger view than the one I had near South Bloomfield, and it appears to be several miles southeast of that point. There must be a nice elevation shift in that area. Likely, since going southeast from there leads to the Hocking Hills area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>