Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2020, 09:08 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,604,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
So, how far can you see your skyline.

I know coming into Chicago, one can see the skyline from a LONG ways out. Not too sure how far, but we drove for miles before we were actually there. Probably because of the clear skies and flat topography.

I can see the Minneapolis skyline from my hometown, which is 25 miles as the crow flies.
Here in Phoenix, you can see downtown and midtown skylines from over 20 miles away if you're in one of the foothill suburbs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2020, 09:26 PM

676 posts, read 494,910 times
Greensboro.... Only about 3.5 miles from the intersection of Interstate 40 and East Gate City Blvd

Old 11-14-2020, 10:05 PM

994 posts, read 781,625 times
For Cleveland its probably the I-80 or I-271 bridge over the Cuyahoga in Northern Summit County (both meet at almost the same spot there ... though I-80 is a couple hundred feet further south).

Thats probably about 25 miles.

That may be the only spot where you may be able to see both downtown Cleveland and downtown Akron from the same spot. Its hard to tell because its a 70 mph bridge over a highly traveled truck route (at least in the case of I-80). But last weekend I did notice for sure seeing downtown Cleveland on one side and even more clear the 250 foot smokestack in Cuyahoga Falls in the other side).

I couldn't look long enough to see if downtown Akron was visible, but it may be. The smokestack, while at a higher elevation than downtown Akron, is only like 4 miles north of downtown. And Akron's tallest building is about 100 feet taller. So makes me think both downtowns could theoretically be visible from that spot.... though probably never can really see both while driving because you would need a clear day for one. Then on top of that would only have about a 10 second window even if you knew exactly where to look in either direction (Cleveland is very visible... though I imagine if you can see Akron it would just be the very top of its tallest building... so it would be very hard differieate it from the surrounding trees unless you would know exactly what you were looking for).

But it may be possible.

Fwiw, the furthest I've personally seen downtown Akron from is the Route 21/585 area on the outskirts of Barberton and Wayne County line. That's probably about 10 miles. Which is about the same distance it would be from I-80 in the other direction.

Old 11-18-2020, 06:44 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,678,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandBrown View Post
For Cleveland its probably the I-80 or I-271 bridge over the Cuyahoga in Northern Summit County (both meet at almost the same spot there ... though I-80 is a couple hundred feet further south).

Thats probably about 25 miles.

That may be the only spot where you may be able to see both downtown Cleveland and downtown Akron from the same spot. Its hard to tell because its a 70 mph bridge over a highly traveled truck route (at least in the case of I-80). But last weekend I did notice for sure seeing downtown Cleveland on one side and even more clear the 250 foot smokestack in Cuyahoga Falls in the other side).

I couldn't look long enough to see if downtown Akron was visible, but it may be. The smokestack, while at a higher elevation than downtown Akron, is only like 4 miles north of downtown. And Akron's tallest building is about 100 feet taller. So makes me think both downtowns could theoretically be visible from that spot.... though probably never can really see both while driving because you would need a clear day for one. Then on top of that would only have about a 10 second window even if you knew exactly where to look in either direction (Cleveland is very visible... though I imagine if you can see Akron it would just be the very top of its tallest building... so it would be very hard differieate it from the surrounding trees unless you would know exactly what you were looking for).

But it may be possible.

Fwiw, the furthest I've personally seen downtown Akron from is the Route 21/585 area on the outskirts of Barberton and Wayne County line. That's probably about 10 miles. Which is about the same distance it would be from I-80 in the other direction.

It's not super far, but I took this on a visit to CLE last year. I thought it was a great shot!
Attached Thumbnails
From how far away can you see your skyline??-cle.jpg  

Old 11-18-2020, 11:24 PM

45 posts, read 34,802 times
Columbus from 10 miles west on I 70 https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9777...=en&authuser=0

Old 11-21-2020, 08:47 PM

16,086 posts, read 10,747,693 times
I'm pretty nearsighted so I have to be pretty close.
Our skyline is dominated by mountains so, depending on the direction, it could be almost forty miles or two.

Old 11-21-2020, 09:13 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Depends where from. If I’m coming from the east side on I-10, you start seeing the Skyline a long time

Old 11-21-2020, 09:41 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
One of my favorite skyline views is driving into Pittsburgh from the airport. For miles you are in very hilly terrain that is kind of sprawly and suburban looking, no evidence of a big city up ahead. Then you drive through the long, dark Fort Pitt Tunnel. As you come out the portal, BAM! there is the downtown skyline, right in front of you, filling your whole windshield!

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4373...7i13312!8i6656

In this case, the skyline is hidden from view, until you are less than a mile away.

Last edited by Ben Around; 11-21-2020 at 10:14 PM..

Old 11-21-2020, 09:51 PM

Another unique skyline view is driving into the Twin Cities from the south. From the Mendota Bridge over the Minnesota River, (approx. 7 miles from either downtown) you can see BOTH the skylines of Minneapolis and St. Paul, even though the two downtowns are 11 miles apart! Click this link, enlarge the view, and you'll see Minneapolis just to the right of center, then rotate your view further to the right and you'll see St. Paul (you''ll just make out the Cathedral).

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.8865...7i16384!8i8192

Old 11-21-2020, 10:12 PM

A few years ago I was at Fort Niagara, where the Niagara River empties into Lake Ontario, on a clear day. I was delighted to see the Toronto skyline across the lake, approximately 35-40 miles. Didn't get a picture, and couldn't find any street view pix that showed it, but here is the satellite view.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fo...!4d-79.0641966
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.