U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 08:29 PM

12,342 posts, read 16,353,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I've seen it from Bear Mtn, 45 miles away
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1072/...c17f4b72_b.jpg

I'm not sure what the limit on Long Island is.

I saw an oldish photo (pre 9-11) of the NYC skyline from something like 40 miles out in the ocean. Coo pic, I'll have to try harder to find and link it.
You can see it from Robert Moses
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 05:12 AM

2,273 posts, read 2,366,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotila View Post
The furthest I've found that one can see Chicago from the other side of the lake is from Benton Harbor/St Joseph, a distance of 98km / 61 miles:

https://imgur.com/8O84Rff

The lake gets too wide and is too far north from there upwards
I remember once seeing the Chicago skyline from Michigan City, IN myself. And like that Imgur pic shows, it is great when you can time going there, when the sunset is occurring! Didn't realize it was visible from as far away, as Saint Joseph, MI's lakefront myself.

I also once remember seeing someone upload a drone pic(or something else like that which was an aerial pic), of the Chicago skyline being visible in the distance(all the dozens and dozens of miles away) in the air above the square in downtown Crown Point, IN.

I remember someone else(from a different message board) once say you could see the Toronto skyline from at least Fort Niagara State Park in western NY state north of Buffalo and also Niagara Falls(NY), and from all points west of there. Doing a search of pics on google, this is indeed true you can see Toronto's skyline on a VERY clear day from Ft. Niagara State Park(and at that point, it's 30 miles north per signs within this park): https://goo.gl/maps/tdSfanntck7zmH6R9

Last edited by SonySegaTendo617; 03-22-2021 at 05:24 AM..

Old 03-22-2021, 06:58 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,615 posts, read 11,880,375 times
On days with good visibility, you can see Downtown LA all the way from Irwindale

Old 03-23-2021, 08:10 AM

14 posts, read 10,869 times
You can see Charlotte, North Carolina from Grandfather mountain.
https://grandfather.com/charlotte-skyline/

Old 06-09-2021, 11:29 PM

1 posts, read 484 times
Back in May 2020 I was able to spot Tyson’s Corner, VA, a suburb of DC from 56 miles away as the crow flies. Was a minute or so after taking off from BWI airport and were probably 2-3k feet in the air at the time. Rather impressive when considering the tallest building in the city is only about 500 feet.

Old 06-10-2021, 12:01 AM

1,386 posts, read 682,469 times
You can only see the Mobile, Alabama’s skyline from either the Bayway/Causeway or I-165. Even though we have a nearly 750ft skyscraper, you can only see it if you are above the tree line. I was able to see the skyline from like 12 miles away on the Ferris wheel in the state fair tho

Old 07-31-2021, 08:33 PM

10,563 posts, read 16,955,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
If you're on a hill, you can see Toronto's CN Tower, straight across the great lakes from the Niagara Falls, NY area.
I am visiting that area and saw it today.

Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I've seen it from Bear Mtn, 45 miles away
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1072/...c17f4b72_b.jpg

I've seen it about 15 or so miles farther north from the top of Mt. Beacon.

Old 07-31-2021, 08:45 PM

8,653 posts, read 3,938,946 times
Some Manhattan ones:

I can see the Manhattan skyline in its entirety from a 15-floor building in New Brunswick NJ.

I can see it from a family's 3 floor house on a hill top in Darien CT

When I was flying from BOS to SYR, I was over Greenfield MA... exactly north of Springfield by the VT border and I could see the lights down to NYC (it was nighttime) from an elevation of 33,000 feet. Thought that was so cool.

When you are on the top of Kingda Ka at Six Flags in Jackson NJ you see both Philadelphia's and New York's Skyline. Pretty cool...

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 07-31-2021 at 09:03 PM..

Old 08-01-2021, 12:15 PM

6,274 posts, read 3,178,218 times
Super far

Old 08-01-2021, 03:38 PM

2,273 posts, read 2,366,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Some Manhattan ones:

I can see the Manhattan skyline in its entirety from a 15-floor building in New Brunswick NJ.

I can see it from a family's 3 floor house on a hill top in Darien CT

When I was flying from BOS to SYR, I was over Greenfield MA... exactly north of Springfield by the VT border and I could see the lights down to NYC (it was nighttime) from an elevation of 33,000 feet. Thought that was so cool.

When you are on the top of Kingda Ka at Six Flags in Jackson NJ you see both Philadelphia's and New York's Skyline. Pretty cool...
That is pretty cool, that on a clear day you could see both Philly's and NYC's skyline from the top of the Kingda Ka ride!

Speaking of seeing lights of a metro area, I remember when flying back from San Francisco(SFO) to Chicago(ORD) that it was cool I briefly could see all the lights of the Salt Lake City metro area, from the air! Which probably was from like Provo, north to probably Ogden.

BTW a few years ago on the Atlanta subreddit(and as a few past pages talked about Atlanta's skyline), I recall someone posted that on a clear day you can see its skyline from as far north as Blood Mountain. Which is 73 miles north, btw. Here is that original post and thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/Atlanta/com...tain_ga_xpost/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.