U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2010, 08:20 PM

12,506 posts, read 25,162,197 times

Advertisements

Tyler's skyline ain't all that big, but the tallest building (300' tall) & the tip of the 2nd tallest (202' tall) in downtown can be seen halfway poking up above the tree line a good 7-8 miles away from the highest point in the far southern part of the city.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 09:04 PM

11,340 posts, read 18,884,014 times
Theres a myth that you can see both NYC's & Philly's skyline from the top of Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure, the park is in Central New Jersey and is equidistant from NYC & Philly (about 60-70 miles away from both cities downtowns).

Kingda Ka is about 450 feet tall and goes at nearly 130 miles per hour so you wouldn't get a great view of either city if you could even find them in such a short amount of time (like 2 seconds).

Another myth is that you can see Philly's tallest building (the new Comcast one) from NYC's current tallest building (the Empire State Building) on a clear day. One WTC (the Freedom Tower) will probably give better views because it's taller and further south than the Empire State Building.

Old 10-20-2010, 09:36 PM

4,281 posts, read 4,032,591 times
I'm wondering, is there any single place where the skylines of both Dallas and Ft Worth can be clearly seen? I believe they're like 30 miles apart, so you'd think both skylines would be visable somewhere.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:58 PM

10,534 posts, read 18,742,816 times
Boston's well covered already (view from Monadnock is awesome). When I was a kid, I always used to see if there were areas I could "sneak a peek" of the skylines we were driving by. You can see Boston from Route 95/128 right near the Burlington Mall and right near the 128 Amtrak Station (just past Blue Hills).

I actually want someone to correct me here if I'm wrong. We used to ALWAYS drive down to Virginia from the Boston area and one of the places I thought I could see Philadelphia's skyline was from the Delaware Memorial Bridge... especially at night. Has anyone else seen this or am I way off?

You can also see Providence, RI from various points in Fall River, MA (15 miles away). The easiest to access is at the crest of the Braga Bridge. You can clearly see all of the tallest buildings (also can see the Mt. Hope Bridge to the South). You can also see PVD from North Park along Highland Avenue. I have a pic of that somewhere around here.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:24 PM

12,506 posts, read 25,162,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greatcity View Post
I'm wondering, is there any single place where the skylines of both Dallas and Ft Worth can be clearly seen? I believe they're like 30 miles apart, so you'd think both skylines would be visable somewhere.
Yes they are both visible from a certain spot somewhere just to the Northeast of Fort Worth.

Get with John R on Skyscraperpage.com he took a photo there once & would know exactly where to point you.

Also, in Grand Prairie & Arlington which is the center most part of the Metroplex, you can clearly see Fort Worth off to the west & Dallas off to the east on a few elevated over passes.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:03 PM

116 posts, read 200,567 times
That is true you can see Downtown Philly from the delaware memorial bridge it's a good 25 miles south of philly but i've seen it many times it's easier to see on the southbound side tho because of the two separate spans.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:28 AM

5,256 posts, read 12,925,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Theres a myth that you can see both NYC's & Philly's skyline from the top of Kingda Ka at Six Flags Great Adventure, the park is in Central New Jersey and is equidistant from NYC & Philly (about 60-70 miles away from both cities downtowns).

Kingda Ka is about 450 feet tall and goes at nearly 130 miles per hour so you wouldn't get a great view of either city if you could even find them in such a short amount of time (like 2 seconds).

Another myth is that you can see Philly's tallest building (the new Comcast one) from NYC's current tallest building (the Empire State Building) on a clear day. One WTC (the Freedom Tower) will probably give better views because it's taller and further south than the Empire State Building.
LOL, I've ridden that thing over 5 times (front seat 3 times). Can't say I saw either skyline, I was kinda distracted.

Here's one from the shore anyway (Sandy Hook)

By marcbauer (http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcbauer/ - broken link)

By Bobby Siliato (http://www.flickr.com/photos/siliato/ - broken link)

Old 11-21-2010, 01:17 PM

3 posts, read 30,622 times
Cool topic. I've always been fascinated by skyscrapers and the distance at which a city's skyline can be seen. And while sheer distance can sometimes be breathtaking I also find sometimes that it's the odd, unexpected and offbeat sightings that are actually cooler than flat-out distance sightings.

Anyway, as luck would have it I discovered this biking and walking trail about 2 miles from my home in Gibbsboro, New Jersey and stumbled upon this magnificent sighting of Philadelphia's skyline . I think it's particularly cool because it's not simply across a river or from the perspective of driving down a long highway. I think the contrast of it just appearing on the horizon through the woods out of nowhere is what makes this sighting awesome.

In fact, the spot I took the picture is the only unobstructed place on the entire trail that lends this view and it's visible nowhere else at all! It's like a hidden treasure!

The first photo was taken normally (skyline is in the middle of the frame on the horizon). The second picture was taken from the same spot but with the zoom feature maxed out.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:25 PM

22,402 posts, read 35,468,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesyvoor View Post
Cool topic. I've always been fascinated by skyscrapers and the distance at which a city's skyline can be seen. And while sheer distance can sometimes be breathtaking I also find sometimes that it's the odd, unexpected and offbeat sightings that are actually cooler than flat-out distance sightings.

Anyway, as luck would have it I discovered this biking and walking trail about 2 miles from my home in Gibbsboro, New Jersey and stumbled upon this magnificent sighting of Philadelphia's skyline . I think it's particularly cool because it's not simply across a river or from the perspective of driving down a long highway. I think the contrast of it just appearing on the horizon through the woods out of nowhere is what makes this sighting awesome.

In fact, the spot I took the picture is the only unobstructed place on the entire trail that lends this view and it's visible nowhere else at all! It's like a hidden treasure!

The first photo was taken normally (skyline is in the middle of the frame on the horizon). The second picture was taken from the same spot but with the zoom feature maxed out.

Cool shots - thanks for sharing

Old 11-21-2010, 01:33 PM

22,402 posts, read 35,468,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post

I know you can see both Philly and Trenton Clearly from the PA/NJ Connector Bridge on the Delaware river. For NYC/Philly on approches to Philly by plane in Jersey there are some places where NYC and Philly on either side of the plane are evident but this is with maybe 3000-5000 ft elevations.

I have also heard that about the empire state etc. i think you might need binoculars and clear weather

Maybe when the the Freedom Tower (1776 ft) and ACC (1520 ft) are finished - but they will be nearly 80 miles on a straight line so not sure if that is possible
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.