Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2007, 06:30 PM

414 posts, read 1,381,045 times

Advertisements

I live 5 mins from sag harbor. You will not have any problem with the area. They are a lot of gay people in SH. You will be fine. Just remember its the rich and famous. If money is no object you will be fine. If money is a problem a cottage starts at 600k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 07:32 PM

15 posts, read 71,108 times
Default not well connected

The gay community on Long Island is not well connected, although there are a fair amount of gay people on Long Island. I do not know if you 'go out" but there are a few gay bars on LI, but none of them are anything to speak about. As for Westpor, I managed the Trader Joe's in Westport. It is quaint, and attractive, but I have never met a group of people who acted with such a false sense of entitlement as in Westport. I do find that same "me first" attitude on Long Island, but to a lesser degree. LI/NYC have the reputation for pushy people, but Connecticut is actually worse. I currently live in Brooklyn, but work on LI, and I lived for four years in Connecticut--I am from California, so I may be a little more sensative to to the people of the "stoic North East". On a flip side the people that I have made friends of here are the best friends I have ever had in my life--the social groups are just much more difficult to break into.

Hope this helps,
Rich

Old 06-11-2007, 07:51 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
In checking the posts of sanfranmike, I see that he has cross-posted this to every state and city size imaginable- from Alaska to Iowa. I think he just had too much time on his hands....or he/she is not gay and is gay baiting- trying to stir up controversy.

Old 06-11-2007, 09:15 PM

9 posts, read 31,963 times
Default We Love Our Gay Community!

There are more gay people in Arkansas than one would think! I am just an average straight female from Arkansas and...my sister's sister is gay, my sister's best friend is gay, as is my boyfriend's sister, I have 2 gay co-workers, my very good gay friend is trying to get back to LR after he thought he wanted to move, and my other one owns Miss Gay Pulaski County, and I finally met one of my best friends gay roomates and his boyfriend the other night, not to mention my 2 gay friends that have passed away in the last 3 years...I could go on. Just as the previous post said, as long as you stay in LR, Conway, Fayetteville, Jonesboro, it is no big deal. There are smaller towns with gay communities but it is just more difficult there for lack pf places to go. Discovery is the club that used to be a gay bar but now overrun mostly by straight people wanting to watch the queens or roll on x or whatever, but if you're really gay then you go to Backstreet. You can also find the Gay Pride Parade in Conway on 6/23 (Home - InterPride). Good Luck!!

Old 06-12-2007, 06:11 AM

476 posts, read 2,318,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfranmike View Post
gay couple with son looking to relocate, how is the tolerance and safety in Albq. Nm??
Mike, if you are grown and gay, it wont matter in Albuquerque, but I know Albuquerque has mostly Hispanics and I am Hispanic myself and I have a gay cousin who went to Albuquerque schools and routinely was called names by Hispanics and he is Hispanic himself, but homosexuality is still thought to be a sin to the Hispanic community because the Roman Catholic still teaches it is sin and wrong to be gay, so what can you expect since almost all Hispanics are Catholic. He wasnt beaten up, but everyday being called the f word took a toll on him and he was a loner, they wouldnt include him in on anything. In hindsight, if I was gay and not going to school, I would say Albuquerque is fine, but for going to school with mostly Hispanic kids, I would have reservations. You might look at Durango, Colorado where alot of gays live as I said in another post here. It has a very liberal open attitude toward all people and gays abound there. It still has hippies and new agers thrive there. Anyway, I feel for your son as I know that people can be so ignorant and condemning, I wish you, your significant other and your son the best of luck!

Old 06-12-2007, 06:40 AM

5,790 posts, read 3,598,050 times
These days, any medium-to-large metropolitan area is going to have a district that's at least non-hostile toward gays -- at least in an interpersonal sense. This is true even for really conservative areas. The best place to find them are usually either downtown or in pre world war II neighborhoods with interesting architecture.

Conway (30 miles from LR), I can believe has a pride parade, thanks to Hendrix College (The Berkeley of Arkansas, or something like that). But if you're looking for the rare small town whose tolerance would impress even a cosmopolitan East or West Coastal type...surprisingly, Arkansas can supply that too

Eureka Springs!!!!!!!!!!

Highest gay population per capita in the state! Even though ES has only 10% of Carroll Co.'s population, its gay population is still enough to make rural Carroll #1 per capita in the state...yes, even higher than Pulaski (Little Rock) and Washington (Fayetteville). Speaking of the latter, it's only 50 miles from Fayetteville, itself also a well-established haven of relative tolerance (ok, so it's not San Francisco, but even so...). Furthermore, NW Ark's been consistently growing as fast as North Georgia or any other sunbelt metro for decades. Fayetteville, Bentonville, and Eureka Springs...this IS the Next Atlanta or Austin.

Even so, Little Rock is like you'd expect of most other heartland metro areas its size - use your wits about you and know where to look and you can make a reasonably decent life for yourself.

Last edited by Phil75230; 06-12-2007 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: additional information

Old 06-12-2007, 10:55 AM

13 posts, read 45,580 times
See benjaminooo's link says it all. We are proud and growing!

Old 06-12-2007, 02:09 PM

268 posts, read 1,194,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Yes Omaha is a fine place for gay families. I'm gay myself and know some couples that have kids. We just had our Pride this weekend which I will post pics of later.
I have a sister who is gay and she flew up to D.C. for their Pride last weekend. I didn't hear of the festival here???
But to the original poster, I think Omaha would be fine for a gay couple but I don't think there is a very large population of gays here.
My sister lives in Houston with her partner and I'm trying to get them to move to Portland, Oregon with me next month as it's much friendlier up there....got off on a tangent, sorry!

Old 06-12-2007, 03:21 PM

938 posts, read 2,897,830 times
I've heard Parkersburg has a large gay community, too - but it's so isolated from a major city. I'd say Morgantown is a good choice. I have openly gay friends going to WVU that don't get any hassle at all - male and female.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:21 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,278 times
There are many gay people here in Omaha. Even in the building I live in there are many gay people. The area around where I live is probably one of the most concentrated areas of gay people in Omaha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.