Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 03:37 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,271,623 times

Advertisements

Very good, welcoming answers - OP, I hope that helps you - especially if you like downtown, Hillcrest, and the mid town but north of I-630 area, you'll do great. Jadbrosto gave ou some great links. I think Eureka is awsome for gays and straights alike, but if you are looking at employment in the central AR area, that's just going to make commuting WAY too long and involved, unless you have a job where you travel and don't particularly have to be in the greater LR area...if that's the case, go to ES and you won't be sorry AT ALL....fabulous, fabulous area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 04:13 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
I agree with Phil; any mid sized to large city today will have a gay community. Resort towns as well often have a high gay population as many tourist towns are also very artsy.

I would stay away from the very small towns or the rural areas, otherwise there should be few problems.

Nita

Old 07-31-2007, 11:07 PM

852 posts, read 1,357,524 times
Default Gay in Omaha or Lincoln

As a whole, Nebraska is a conservative state but Omaha is a little more liberal and so is Lincoln. Omaha mainly because its a little more diverse than the rest of the state and Lincoln because of the college atmosphere. I am not gay but I've known a few gay people living in Omaha and there doesn't seem to be a problem. For the most part, I imagine its an okay place to live if you're gay but probably not great. Hope this helps.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:19 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,199,246 times
Default ....

Omaha is a gay friendly city, and the gay resources are growing... for instance there is a non-profit sports league here just started and they have flag-football, softball, volleyball and I think they are going to start bowling.. I forget the website, but they have their own domain...

Omaha is an 'on the verge' city, Omaha scores well in many areas and is just an inch away from becoming a cultural mecca... there was even an article on this in some new york based magazine...

Tell them DTO

Old 08-07-2007, 06:55 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
Wow, strange posts! I'm also a gay man who has posted similar questions to several cities. My partner and I are considering North Florida, New Mexico, North Carolina, and Tennessee to name a few! Is that so unusual to be open to numerous parts of the country? My partner has visited Jacksonville and loved it. I've yet to visit there. I've been to New Mexico and like the dry climate. So we are considering numerous options, that's why this site is appealing. You can get perspectives on many different cities from natives and long time residents before you make travel plans and spend a lot of money on a city you might not be interested in. That said, my biggest concern, having not been to Jacksonville is the humidity. When I looked at climate-zone they listed average daily humidity there in the mid 70's. So, is the heat and humidity a constant drain there, or is it only an issue in mid-summer? We're in Baltimore where the July-August heat, humidity and smog combined make it unbearable outside for much of the day during those months. Any feedback is appreciated. thank you

Old 08-07-2007, 08:04 AM

61 posts, read 271,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Wow, strange posts! I'm also a gay man who has posted similar questions to several cities. My partner and I are considering North Florida, New Mexico, North Carolina, and Tennessee to name a few! Is that so unusual to be open to numerous parts of the country? My partner has visited Jacksonville and loved it. I've yet to visit there. I've been to New Mexico and like the dry climate. So we are considering numerous options, that's why this site is appealing. You can get perspectives on many different cities from natives and long time residents before you make travel plans and spend a lot of money on a city you might not be interested in. That said, my biggest concern, having not been to Jacksonville is the humidity. When I looked at climate-zone they listed average daily humidity there in the mid 70's. So, is the heat and humidity a constant drain there, or is it only an issue in mid-summer? We're in Baltimore where the July-August heat, humidity and smog combined make it unbearable outside for much of the day during those months. Any feedback is appreciated. thank you

Are you set on a city? Smaller towns like Ocala are nice in the Northern part of FL. Humidity? Well, its still humid in the north and seems more intense, probably because of the buffer of the gulf breezes.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:20 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,885 times
Default Ocala

I'm not familiar with Ocala. If we moved to north Florida the only area my job will transfer me too is Jacksonville. How far is Ocala from Jax? We were initially interested in Pensacola but, no job prospects there and too far to commute to Jacksonville, thanks

Old 08-07-2007, 08:28 AM

61 posts, read 271,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I'm not familiar with Ocala. If we moved to north Florida the only area my job will transfer me too is Jacksonville. How far is Ocala from Jax? We were initially interested in Pensacola but, no job prospects there and too far to commute to Jacksonville, thanks

Its fairly far; 2 hours, so likely too far of a commute. I understand the employment problem, its been tough for me to find a job as well, unless I take a Bachelor level position. I don't have first hand experience with Jacksonville, but I have heard that it has some problems with crime.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:07 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,396 times
Sayville is a good bet.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:15 AM

46 posts, read 158,711 times
really OK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.