Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2007, 04:41 PM

35 posts, read 101,162 times

Advertisements

We are looking at places to relocate. We are a openly gay but conservative couple with a son, wanting info about how accepting Anchorage is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 04:48 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,357,174 times
New Jersey as a whole is pretty gay-friendly. I'd say the areas that AREN'T gay-friendly are actually the exception. In terms of protections and rights, New Jersey is also a step ahead of the game in it's legalization of civil unions. As far as large cities go, you have your choice in terms of proximity, between Philly and NYC. If you have a preference between the two, maybe further concentrate on those areas within a tolerable commute to that particular city.

I second the areas around Maplewood, South Orange and Montclair, but really, most any area, provided you're not in a teeny tiny town, should be fine.

Old 06-10-2007, 05:23 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,904,221 times
I'll just jump in and say that almost all of the decent (not ghetto) towns in northern NJ will be fine for you. I presume your son will be finished with school when you move to NJ. Your commute will be more of a concern than a town being "gay friendly". Where are you going to be working?

Old 06-10-2007, 05:31 PM

157 posts, read 826,471 times
Hi,

I certainly don't know for sure, since we don't live there yet, but we spent a great deal of time with our new neighbors in Mt. Lebanon last time we were in town and the openly gay couple on our street seemed to be very loved memebers of the community.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:00 PM

1,119 posts, read 4,185,511 times
Default ....

Yes, Omaha is a great place for gays, the state of Nebraska as well as the Nebraska department of Health and Human Services do not approve of the lifestyle, but the city of OMaha is very accepting, the mayor even stated that his intentions are to make Omaha a safe haven for gay people..

Old 06-10-2007, 06:39 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times
City-data member, boylocke, could give you an opinion from the gay perspective. If he visits the forum, I'm sure he'll post in this thread. If he doesn't, send him a PM.

I personally find most Pittsburghers to be very tolerant of different lifestyles. Of course, tolerance is different from being accepted. Being fully accepted would certainly depend on the neighborhood.

Are you interested in city life or suburban life?

There's a neighborhood in the city called the Mexican War streets that is known for having a large percentage of gay residents. Outside of the Mexican War Streets, I believe you'll be more likely to find acceptance in the trendy or upscale neighborhoods like Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Regent Square, Mt. Lebanon, and very possibly Fox Chapel and Sewickley.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:42 PM

572 posts, read 2,082,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfranmike View Post
dtate6195
I would be moving with my partner, and our 17 year old son.We arent looking for a party lifestyle, were pretty conservative but openly gay.My partner is from a small midwest town, and overwhelmed by the city.I love the city but it just wouldnt work. we are also thinking of CT.
If you are considering Connecticut, Westport is a progressive community located about 50 minutes north of Manhattan. You should have no problems there. I agree that Sag Harbor might be a bit too secluded, though it's a beautiful community. If you have the money, maybe live in Westport with a beach cottage in Sag Harbor?

Old 06-10-2007, 06:45 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,604,734 times
Yes Omaha is a fine place for gay families. I'm gay myself and know some couples that have kids. We just had our Pride this weekend which I will post pics of later.

Old 06-10-2007, 06:55 PM

781 posts, read 1,612,025 times
Regent Square is very gay friendly. The Square Cafe is a great place.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:10 PM

79 posts, read 460,282 times
MassAve/St. Joseph/Old Northside

you'll feel right at home, it's a great area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.