Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 07:37 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times

Advertisements

I was in the New Jersey forum answering a question about the lack of self service gasoline as an option. When I lived in NJ, I also lamented the fact that you could not buy beer in a gas station or convenience store. Pennsylvania has the same law. New York, next to New Jersey and Pennsylvania, does not have that law. Now I live in New Mexico, which is more like New York, you can buy it anywhere.

Is the New Mexico/New York situation more the norm, or are most states more like New Jersey and Pennsylvania, i.e. more restrictive when it comes to selling beer at a gas station/convenience store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 07:41 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I was in the New Jersey forum answering a question about the lack of self service gasoline as an option. When I lived in NJ, I also lamented the fact that you could not buy beer in a gas station or convenience store. Pennsylvania has the same law. New York, next to New Jersey and Pennsylvania, does not have that law. Now I live in New Mexico, which is more like New York, you can buy it anywhere.

Is the New Mexico/New York situation more the norm, or are most states more like New Jersey and Pennsylvania, i.e. more restrictive when it comes to selling beer at a gas station/convenience store?
In North Carolina you can get it at a drive-thru!

Old 08-14-2007, 08:15 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,417,982 times
It seems like a lot of the northeastern states hold on to the old laws. In Connecticut you still can't buy alcohol on Sundays! Beer is sold at gas stations and grocery stores, but not wine or liquor. Alcohol also can't be sold after 9 pm. They have tried to change the laws but the liquor store owners are opposed to it, they don't want to work Sundays.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:29 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,681,591 times
there are places in South Jersey where you can get it at a convenience store.

NJ also has drive ups.

PA cracks me up - state run liquor stores (NO BEER), beer at beer distributors (but you can ONLY buy cases there, no 6 packs - you need to go to a package goods store for that), but you can buy big time fireworks at the supermarket!

I love one stop shopping places - food and booze in a supermarket. it's awesome and still so strange for me.

NH only has state run liquor stores too.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:46 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,300,659 times
In Highland Park, NJ there's a Rite Aid Pharmacy, half of the aisles are stocked with liquor/beer/wine.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:49 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,979,239 times
Here in TN you can get it at gas stations. Although we do have entire countys that are "dry."

Old 08-14-2007, 09:02 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,076,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post
Here in TN you can get it at gas stations. Although we do have entire countys that are "dry."
Same here. We also have the drive-thrus.

Old 08-14-2007, 09:21 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,791,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
there are places in South Jersey where you can get it at a convenience store.

NJ also has drive ups.

PA cracks me up - state run liquor stores (NO BEER), beer at beer distributors (but you can ONLY buy cases there, no 6 packs - you need to go to a package goods store for that), but you can buy big time fireworks at the supermarket!

I love one stop shopping places - food and booze in a supermarket. it's awesome and still so strange for me.

NH only has state run liquor stores too.
That very concept was very strange to me when I moved to New Mexico. However, now I wouldn't have it any other way!

Old 08-14-2007, 10:24 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
It seems like a lot of the northeastern states hold on to the old laws. In Connecticut you still can't buy alcohol on Sundays! Beer is sold at gas stations and grocery stores, but not wine or liquor. Alcohol also can't be sold after 9 pm. They have tried to change the laws but the liquor store owners are opposed to it, they don't want to work Sundays.
In Indiana, no alcohol is sold on Sundays except in resturants that serve food but ONLY after 12pm.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:03 AM

304 posts, read 1,430,428 times
In Idaho you can buy wine and beer at the grocery store/convenience store, but you have to go to the state store to buy hard liquor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.