Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 01:32 PM

7 posts, read 56,445 times

Advertisements

Is there a difference between New York Old Money Preppy and traditional New England preppy? By New York preppy, I mean like the cast off of Gossip Girl. (Excessively wealthy, flaunts it, super exclusive.) By New England preppy, I mean traditional preps, like the Kennedy family.

The only reason I'm asking is that I'm moving to suburban Boston in a few weeks. I'm preppy myself, but it's more southern preppy. Will the preps there talk to me, or do they shun outsiders now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 02:09 PM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
They'll probably talk to you. I come from that kind of background in Connecticut and during our school years people that moved in from the outside were generally accepted. It will probably take longer to make friends in New England than in other areas of the country because we do tend to be cliquish and prefer people and things that are familiar. New England Preps tend to be less ostentatious than in most areas of the country. Often times it is considered quite gauche to show off what you have in terms of material goods and wealth. That undesirable trait is usually left to New Money.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:16 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,745,280 times
In the South all you have to do to be considered preppy is wear a Ralph Lauren Polo or Oxford Shirt, some khaki pants or shorts, and some nice loafers or boat shoes. Lots of people in the South dress like this, even if they don't come from a wealthy background.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:38 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
I'm guessing that it depends on what you mean by "preppy;" like smtchll points out, there are those who think "preppy" just means wearing khakis or J. Crew. Are you talking that sort of preppy, or do you mean old-school traditional preppy as in the kids go to places like Andover and Deerfield and summer at the Cape and the parents have nicknames like Bunny and Bitsy?

Old 04-17-2010, 05:54 PM

7 posts, read 56,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
I'm guessing that it depends on what you mean by "preppy;" like smtchll points out, there are those who think "preppy" just means wearing khakis or J. Crew. Are you talking that sort of preppy, or do you mean old-school traditional preppy as in the kids go to places like Andover and Deerfield and summer at the Cape and the parents have nicknames like Bunny and Bitsy?
That kind.

Haha, I'm a real southern prep, it's not just how I dress. I went to a private school and a private college, I drive a volvo, I've got that whole attitude about me. But my mom was like, "The old school preps in Boston won't want anything to do with you! You're too southern!" Though I was born on the Main Line and my parents are both northern preps, so I was hoping it would be easier for me to make friends.

How would a recent college grad who's still single go about finding some single girlfriends and nice boys to date, btw? In Boston.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:39 PM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernprepster View Post
That kind.

Haha, I'm a real southern prep, it's not just how I dress. I went to a private school and a private college, I drive a volvo, I've got that whole attitude about me. But my mom was like, "The old school preps in Boston won't want anything to do with you! You're too southern!" Though I was born on the Main Line and my parents are both northern preps, so I was hoping it would be easier for me to make friends.

How would a recent college grad who's still single go about finding some single girlfriends and nice boys to date, btw? In Boston.

I think it will really depend upon which neighborhood you choose to live. Allston-Brighton is a very nice upscale neighborhood that is not too far from Cambridge. Plenty of young singles populate that area.

My cousin from Connecticut married a university Professor from Boston and they now reside in Needham. Granted the cultural differences between our states are small but nonetheless it shows that you don't have to be part of the Boston "In Crowd" to be accepted.

I think if you act natural and be yourself that will find people are more willing to accept you in New England. I can recall upper class preppies moving to my hometown in Connecticut and they were easier to get along with and become friends than their NYC brethren.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:18 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,621,818 times
It's funny, I was chatting online with a childhood friend who got shipped off to Groton from Cali and subsequently to Dartmouth (he now lives in the Back Bay of Boston) and there seems to be an incestuous quality to his circle of friends & spouses/SO: all seem to have either gone to Ivies or to New England prep schools. Not one went to a regular state university, which to me here in LA seems a bit cliquish & limiting. Whether that's just him, or his business culture (management consultancy/IB), I don't know: but it may say something about how a certain segment of the privileged live & view the world around them.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:39 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
That kind.

I don't think you'll have too much trouble. Do you know anybody up here? Where in the suburbs are you going to be moving?

Where I'm from in suburban Boston (South Shore) is very "preppy"...lots of friends who have the homes in Nantucket, the Vineyard, the Hamptons, blah blah blah. As mentioned before, downtown Brighton is a good spot to check out...but Downtown Brookline is exactly what you're looking for. Very, very wealthy. It's definitely got the "New England blue blood" feel to it. Another spot to check out would be Newbury St in Back Bay. There are lots of places like Stephanie's on Newbury which are packed every sunny day with privelaged people drinking lunch mimosas and shopping.

In all honesty though, that scene can be found all over Boston. Downtown around Faneuil Hall will have a huge mix of population, but there are plenty of preppies in basically every bar you'll go to. Back Bay, Downtown, Brookline, Cleveland Circle, Brighton...hell even Southie has its share of preppy people. Let me know if there's anything else you want to know about the area.

Downtown Brookline

Stephanie's

Last edited by tmac9wr; 04-19-2010 at 02:47 PM..

Old 04-19-2010, 06:35 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,586,152 times
Quote:

You're moving to Boston, and looking for a nice New England preppy girl?

Then take my advice: don't be a prep. Actually, I say this as a borderline prep...yeah I had the whole Ralph Lauren polo shirt, the Lacoste shoes, and khakis thing going, but with my hemp necklace and wristwatch with the skull and crossbones and sh1t on it, and a tad touch of grunginess, I must say I sure confused the blue bloods on the Cape and Nantucket...and getting lucky on a couple of occasions with the blue blood chicks at 'the Box' many-a-Saturday night.

Bottom line: you sound clique-obsessed, possibly an inferiority complex stemming from the fact that you don't feel you "measure up" to a bunch of spoiled M*******s.

Just be yourself, dude. Being cliquish should be considered a mental disorder. Southern "prepster"? You gotta be kiddin me.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:46 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
You're moving to Boston, and looking for a nice New England preppy girl?

Then take my advice: don't be a prep. Actually, I say this as a borderline prep...yeah I had the whole Ralph Lauren polo shirt, the Lacoste shoes, and khakis thing going, but with my hemp necklace and wristwatch with the skull and crossbones and sh1t on it, and a tad touch of grunginess, I must say I sure confused the blue bloods on the Cape and Nantucket...and getting lucky on a couple of occasions with the blue blood chicks at 'the Box' many-a-Saturday night.

Bottom line: you sound clique-obsessed, possibly an inferiority complex stemming from the fact that you don't feel you "measure up" to a bunch of spoiled M*******s.

Just be yourself, dude. Being cliquish should be considered a mental disorder. Southern "prepster"? You gotta be kiddin me.
I'm pretty sure the OP is a chick...I think...

The OP said "find some single girlfriends"... so I understood that to mean other single girls to go out and mingle with.

"nice boys to date" ... I would assume that means it's a chick or gay guy looking for guys to date.

It was worded in an odd manner though...hopefully the OP will come back and explain it a little bit further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.