Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 02:34 PM

324 posts, read 659,376 times

Advertisements

Id rather smoke Weed than drink. SO many people have died behind drinking....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 02:38 PM

698 posts, read 1,509,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
That's interesting you say that. In my Conservative, middle class suburban town 25 miles from Minneapolis, our High School, 80% of the students drank on weekends or special occasions, but probably only 10% smoked marijuana. Needless to say, college was sort of a shock to see it so accepted and accepted by people who one would NEVER think of smoking it
Once you see someone smoking marijuana and the effects it has on them it instantly loses its stigma. Most people can't even tell someone is stoned unless they can smell it or the person tells them they are. Marijuana is pretty much like coffee and should be treated as so. Hell, no offense to coffee drinkers but after living in Seattle one of the coffee capitals of the world, I would argue that coffee is more addictive than marijuana or even alcohol. Funny how as a culture nobody views coffee in a negative sense, except it is pretty much like cocaine in a cup.

Old 04-25-2010, 05:23 PM

10,745 posts, read 23,804,636 times
Denver legalized pot back in 2005. On April 20th City Park had a big haze cloud over the park.
USATODAY.com - Denver votes to legalize marijuana possession
Boulder is pretty much the same. In Vancouver BC one can smell pot on the streets very nonchalantly.

I think excessive amounts of pot and booze will certainly bring you down. Pot is pretty common in Mass too. They relaxed the laws here in 2008 in which municipalities have control of how much the fine on the citation will be, but not an arrestable offence for posession.
Voters approve marijuana law change - The Boston Globe

Old 04-26-2010, 10:08 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,674,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
Once you see someone smoking marijuana and the effects it has on them it instantly loses its stigma. Most people can't even tell someone is stoned unless they can smell it or the person tells them they are. Marijuana is pretty much like coffee and should be treated as so. Hell, no offense to coffee drinkers but after living in Seattle one of the coffee capitals of the world, I would argue that coffee is more addictive than marijuana or even alcohol. Funny how as a culture nobody views coffee in a negative sense, except it is pretty much like cocaine in a cup.

I agree totally. I have been High before while being around people who will deliberately attack marijuana and those who use it.. I wanted to pipe up and be like "Um, do you know I'm high right now, and I'm running circles around you".. Honestly, to me a cup of coffee messes with my mind more than MJ does. You can actually hallucinate off of too much caffein like coffee.

Also, people have a tendency to place Marijuana users in a stereotypical category. Like all people who use it are blood shot eyed, lazy, munchy eatting, Phish listening to stoners. The same can be said for alcohol. Not everybody who drinks is a lush with a whiskey bottle.

Old 04-27-2010, 03:12 AM

2,316 posts, read 7,818,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
The only thing more damaging to society than alcohol and marijuana are the people telling us we shouldn't have the right to use it. If you want to see what the affect marijuana has on society look no farther than the PNW. Considering how high the quality of life is in Seattle/Portland/Vancouver B.C, I guess all the negative effects marijuana has on society is minute compared to what the DEA and all the other fear mongers claim. Nobody cares or views marijuana negatively in the PNW and the only people that do are crazy religious people and super conservatives which are a rare breed up there.
How high the quality of life is here?

Punny...

Old 04-27-2010, 05:12 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,724,200 times
in places i've lived, alcohol is legal, marijuana is illegal.

therefore "my city" is more accepting of alcohol. it seems like a no-brainer. name one american city that is more accepting of marijuana than alcohol. can you can legally buy marijuana in a convenience store or at the grocer, in any american state or city? now how about alcohol?

Old 04-27-2010, 09:30 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Alcohol is probably more accepted, but marijuana is very accepted here. Massachusetts decriminalized marijuana in the '08 election, so it's a $100 fine if you have an ounce or less on you.

It doesn't seem like police even enforce the law though...I remember last year I was on lunch break. It was a beautiful Tuesday afternoon and I was walking by the Public Library, which is located in one of the busiest parts of the city, Copley Square. There was a skateboarder rolling a blunt on the front steps of the BPL while hundreds of people walked by him. He didn't seem to be nervous about getting in trouble, and no one walking by him seemed to care. I wish I still smoked haha.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:07 AM

5,251 posts, read 13,810,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Alcohol is probably more accepted, but marijuana is very accepted here. Massachusetts decriminalized marijuana in the '08 election, so it's a $100 fine if you have an ounce or less on you.

It doesn't seem like police even enforce the law though...I remember last year I was on lunch break. It was a beautiful Tuesday afternoon and I was walking by the Public Library, which is located in one of the busiest parts of the city, Copley Square. There was a skateboarder rolling a blunt on the front steps of the BPL while hundreds of people walked by him. He didn't seem to be nervous about getting in trouble, and no one walking by him seemed to care. I wish I still smoked haha.
Haha! I need to hit up Boston,
It's like that here too in most parts, I've rolled up in a highway Burger King and no one seemed to care, they thought it was funny.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:28 AM

902 posts, read 2,786,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Denver legalized pot back in 2005. On April 20th City Park had a big haze cloud over the park.
USATODAY.com - Denver votes to legalize marijuana possession
Boulder is pretty much the same. In Vancouver BC one can smell pot on the streets very nonchalantly.

I think excessive amounts of pot and booze will certainly bring you down. Pot is pretty common in Mass too. They relaxed the laws here in 2008 in which municipalities have control of how much the fine on the citation will be, but not an arrestable offence for posession.
Voters approve marijuana law change - The Boston Globe
What Denver did isn't really making pot legal. It's more like it is just super decriminalized. Pot in Denver is still illegal, it is just very rarely enforced.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:02 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,452,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gogetta View Post
What Denver did isn't really making pot legal. It's more like it is just super decriminalized. Pot in Denver is still illegal, it is just very rarely enforced.
Yea, I remember talking with some people while in Denver and they were told me it's basically at the officer's discretion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.