Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 08:19 AM

3,971 posts, read 9,648,616 times

Advertisements

Alcohol or Marijuana?

Where I'm from, we have a heavy drinking culture, but marijuana is socially acceptable as well. Minnesota should have it legalized sooner or later, soon as Paw Paw leaves.

I have been to places out east that have almost no marijuana culture, or at least seemingly less than here.

Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 10:07 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,901,567 times
well probably more accepting of alcohol in that it is legal

Old 04-24-2010, 11:53 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,092,093 times
Alcohol, for sure. In both areas.

Marijuana should be legal, I think, but I'd never smoke it.

Old 04-24-2010, 04:26 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,664,309 times
Alcohol. I guess people are 'accepting' of weed, idk. I've only ever smelled it on the streets a couple times.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:36 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,989,214 times
Da herb. But we also like our red wine, good beer, & margaritas.

Old 04-24-2010, 08:52 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,779,120 times
I think weed is less harmful.
But you know, with society and everything, Alcohol is more accepting.

Old 04-25-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I think weed is less harmful.
But you know, with society and everything, Alcohol is more accepting.

Why do you think that is? I know it's the age old question, but why is it that Alcohol is more accepting than Marijuana?

I don't get it. Marijuana is much less harmful health-wise.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:31 PM

62 posts, read 62,009 times
Seattle is equally accepting of both, if for any reason you do get busted here for having weed on you its equivalent to a parking ticket, it's at the lowest priority for cops here. We also host the Seattle Hempfest every year (hempfest.org) which attracts thousands and thousands of people and is a campaign to legalize marijuana. And the PNW has some of the dankest bud in the country, behind hawaii that is

Old 04-25-2010, 02:05 PM

698 posts, read 1,506,296 times
When I grew up in Seattle I would argue that both were quite accepted. Back in the day in my high school, probably around 80% of the kids smoked marijuana. In fact more people smoked marijuana than drank. Lunch break was getting off campus and smoking joints with friends. We would get 5 to 8 friends together and just smoke away. We all graduated with good grades so we never viewed it as a problem. When I went to Seattle Central Community College we would just go to the nearby park and smoke as well. Alcohol was more tolerated because it was legal but if you offered anybody either a shot of liquor or a hit of a joint the joint would always be taken over the alcohol. I look back at living in Seattle and realize just how many people from all walks of life I met just from smoking pot. Some might view it as depressing, but it was something a lot people shared in common despite being different. There wasn't a lot to do during those long gray, dreary, and rainy winters in Seattle so getting high with friends, playing video games, riding your bike, and making music and art was pretty much the only form of self entertainment we had. When spring and summer came we were outside doing a lot more.

I was a medical marijuana patient in Seattle a few months before I moved away and I was surprised at how many other people had access to medical marijuana. The other patients I met were lawyers, doctors, ex-policemen, accountants, store managers, car salesmen, a few teachers, and other people from various different professions.

I spent a considerable amount of time in Portland as well and marijuana was very tolerated. I think everyone smokes pot in that city. Same could be said for all those cities in the Bay Area

In Honolulu, my current city Alcohol is definitely more tolerated due to its legality and the fact its much cheaper. The marijuana is damn good though and nothing is like relaxing on a beach watching the sunset smoking a joint. If there is a heaven, its the closest thing I have ever done to replicate it.

The only thing more damaging to society than alcohol and marijuana are the people telling us we shouldn't have the right to use it. If you want to see what the affect marijuana has on society look no farther than the PNW. Considering how high the quality of life is in Seattle/Portland/Vancouver B.C, I guess all the negative effects marijuana has on society is minute compared to what the DEA and all the other fear mongers claim. Nobody cares or views marijuana negatively in the PNW and the only people that do are crazy religious people and super conservatives which are a rare breed up there.

Last edited by HeyHolliday!; 04-25-2010 at 02:24 PM..

Old 04-25-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHolliday! View Post
When I grew up in Seattle I would argue that both were quite accepted. Back in the day in my high school, probably around 80% of the kids smoked marijuana. In fact more people smoked marijuana than drank. Lunch break was getting off campus and smoking joints with friends. We would get 5 to 8 friends together and just smoke away. We all graduated with good grades so we never viewed it as a problem. When I went to Seattle Central Community College we would just go to the nearby park and smoke as well. Alcohol was more tolerated because it was legal but if you offered anybody either a shot of liquor or a hit of a joint the joint would always be taken over the alcohol. I look back at living in Seattle and realize just how many people from all walks of life I met just from smoking pot. Some might view it as depressing, but it was something a lot people shared in common despite being different. There wasn't a lot to do during those long gray, dreary, and rainy winters in Seattle so getting high friends, playing video games, riding your bike, and making music and art was pretty much the only form of self entertainment we had. When spring and summer came we were outside doing a lot more.

I was a medical marijuana patient in Seattle a few months before I moved away and I was surprised at how many other people had access to medical marijuana. The other patients I met were lawyers, doctors, ex-policemen, accountants, store managers, car salesmen, a few teachers, and other people from various different professions.

I spent a considerable amount of time in Portland as well and marijuana was very tolerated. I think everyone smokes pot in that city. Same could be said for all those cities in the Bay Area

In Honolulu, my current city Alcohol is definitely more tolerated due to its legality and the fact its much cheaper. The marijuana is damn good though and nothing is like relaxing on a beach watching the sunset smoking a joint. If there is a heaven, its the closest thing I have ever done to replicate it.

The only thing more damaging to society than alcohol and marijuana are the people telling us we shouldn't have the right to use it. If you want to see what the affect marijuana has on society look no farther than the PNW. Considering how high the quality of life is in Seattle/Portland/Vancouver B.C, I guess all the negative effects marijuana has on society is minute compared to what the DEA and all the other fear mongers claim. Nobody cares or views marijuana negatively in the PNW and the only people that do are crazy religious people and super conservatives which are a rare breed up there.
That's interesting you say that. In my Conservative, middle class suburban town 25 miles from Minneapolis, our High School, 80% of the students drank on weekends or special occasions, but probably only 10% smoked marijuana. Needless to say, college was sort of a shock to see it so accepted and accepted by people who one would NEVER think of smoking it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.