Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 07:06 PM

521 posts, read 1,313,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
The US-54 going from Emporia, KS to Santa Rosa, NM.

I've heard of the US-50, but plenty of my old trucking trips had me using the 54 on more than one occasion.
I remember having to layover in Minneola, KS for a 24 period to pass in order to wait for 10 hrs to fall off my logbook time.

Another one in New Mexico...

U.S. 285 from Santa Fe to Roswell, but especially the stretch through high desert from little one streetlight town of Vaughn all the way to Roswell. You are in the middle of nowhere, you don't see any sign of humans. Hell, you don't even get any radio stations!

I made that trip once and that was a neat experience.

Overall, NM is a beautiful state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 08:40 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
US 53 between Virginia, MN and International Falls is pretty desolate. Head out of International Falls in any direction and it's all desolate. Another one is US 2 from Minot, ND to Williston.

Old 04-25-2010, 08:44 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
"the lonliest road" US 50 east of Reno NV
Miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles of NOTHING.

LOL

pretty scenery though (at least I thought so).

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-25-2010, 09:51 PM

184 posts, read 438,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Miles and miles of nothing but miles and miles of NOTHING.

LOL

pretty scenery though (at least I thought so).

20yrsinBranson
Branson! I just saw Tony Orlando perform at Epcot. He still lives there, right? Raised in Manhatten and living in Branson, what a culture shock. Of course I've never been in Branson, so maybe I'm wrong?

Old 04-25-2010, 09:59 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot66 View Post
Branson! I just saw Tony Orlando perform at Epcot. He still lives there, right? Raised in Manhatten and living in Branson, what a culture shock. Of course I've never been in Branson, so maybe I'm wrong?
He still owns property here (a house), but he spends most of the year elsewhere. He performs during the Veterans celebration and possibly during Christmas at the Welk Resort. He is a good entertainer and the town just loves him.

He always said that he liked the culture here. But who really knows? It's a lot different than New Yawk, for sure.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-25-2010, 10:17 PM

184 posts, read 438,280 times
[quote=20yrsinBranson;13903254]He still owns property here (a house), but he spends most of the year elsewhere. He performs during the Veterans celebration and possibly during Christmas at the Welk Resort. He is a good entertainer and the town just loves him.

He always said that he liked the culture here. But who really knows? It's a lot different than New Yawk, for sure.

20yrsinBranson[/quo

Oh, ok, I kind of figured he traveled and entertained. His show at Epcot was "fantastic". He really knows how to entertain and his band was just great. In fact, the majority in the audience went to all 3 shows, he put on that night. We were there for two. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:28 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a75206 View Post

U.S. 285 from Santa Fe to Roswell, but especially the stretch through high desert from little one streetlight town of Vaughn all the way to Roswell. You are in the middle of nowhere, you don't see any sign of humans. Hell, you don't even get any radio stations!

This is why I have satellite radio when 18wheeling anywhere.
You are right about New Mexico, unspoiled beauty and none of the light pollution CA suffers from.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:38 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a75206 View Post

This road might very well be the real loneliest road in America. I've never driven on US 50 through Nevada, but from what I've read, the road has now actually increased in traffic volume due to original article published about 30 years ago depicting this road in such stark terms. It's not the only road in New Mexico, though, that is as sparse as described. Much of the entire state is like this, because there really aren't any suburbs, other than around Albuquerque. Just about any other town, 5 minutes from the center intersection, you will be in the middle of nowhere, and by that I mean nothing. No homes, just roads and power lines. West Texas, past the Permian Basin, is exactly the same way. One poster wrote about the Guadalupe Peak to Van Horn, with 100 miles of only one structure: that is absolutely true. People from New Jersey, Rhode Island, Connecticut, etc can not relate to the sense of scale out here. You are talking about expanses of an entire northeast state without so much as a house being seen, while driving some of these roads in New Mexico.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:48 AM

24 posts, read 44,255 times
I10 past SA to the Texas state line. nothing but dirt out there once past the hill country.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:38 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
Kind of depends what you mean by "road."

For instance, there is a tiny little dirt track that skirts near the Nevada/Idaho/Oregon triborder that is among the loneliest I have seen in America. There are no services and no settlements and no pavement. It eventually gets lost into a tangle of other undeveloped rural tracks.

Basically, you could drive these routes between the tiny rural settlement of Owyhee, Nevada and the tiny rural settlement of McDermitt, Oregon - about 115 miles or so - and see no other vehicles at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.