Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2010, 08:49 AM

711 posts, read 1,143,887 times

Advertisements

Deep South = Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, Alabama, Louisiana, Florida & Texas.

Upper South = Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Oklahoma, North Carolina, central & southern Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 09:38 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,608,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
I would agree that East Texas and the Florida Panhandle are part of the Deep South. I said "sometimes" because often people don't include sub-regions in this category, and certainly, as you said, the entire states of Texas and Florida can't be considered Deep South (or even Southern at all, in the case of places such as El Paso and Miami)
Just a note of mention on the "Deep South" which comes from the book by Dr. John Shelton Reed, "1001 Things Everyone Should Know About the South". Here is his own analysis of the sub-region:

The Deep South is roughly coextensive the with old cotton belt, a long arc stretching from eastern North Carolina through South Carolina and west into East Texas, with extensions north and south all along the Mississippi (River). This area can still be definined by locating rural counties with populations more than 25% black. South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana are commonly considered the Deep South states, although some parts of these states don't meet the criteria, and parts of adjoining states do. Many things thought of as Southern, from alligators, and Spanish moss, to peculiar voting patterns in 1948 and 1964 are found in their most concentrated form (sometimes only) here.

Personally, I pretty much agree (and you and AlGreen kinda say as much). with that definition. In terms of whole states, the 5 listed. In terms of parts and pieces? I don't know much about eastern NC (but don't doubt its "membership). but definitely East Texas, the Florida panhandle, and delta areas of Arkansas and Tennessee.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:16 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Just a note of mention on the "Deep South" which comes from the book by Dr. John Shelton Reed, "1001 Things Everyone Should Know About the South". Here is his own analysis of the sub-region:

The Deep South is roughly coextensive the with old cotton belt, a long arc stretching from eastern North Carolina through South Carolina and west into East Texas, with extensions north and south all along the Mississippi (River). This area can still be definined by locating rural counties with populations more than 25% black. South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana are commonly considered the Deep South states, although some parts of these states don't meet the criteria, and parts of adjoining states do. Many things thought of as Southern, from alligators, and Spanish moss, to peculiar voting patterns in 1948 and 1964 are found in their most concentrated form (sometimes only) here.

Personally, I pretty much agree (and you and AlGreen kinda say as much). with that definition. In terms of whole states, the 5 listed. In terms of parts and pieces? I don't know much about eastern NC (but don't doubt its "membership). but definitely East Texas, the Florida panhandle, and delta areas of Arkansas and Tennessee.
I'm not sure about eastern North Carolina either, but I imagine it once would of rung more true. Now with all the transplants coming down to the areas around the Outer Banks and the coast, its debatable.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:58 PM

56 posts, read 52,960 times
I don't know what the big deal is. Defining "southern"based on pre-concieved notions and stereotypes of of ignorant, uneducated, super conservative, and slap-jawed inhabitants or rural areas that can found anywhere in the country and using it as a census guideline is one of the dumbest thing I've ever heard. People not from the south who do this need to get their heads out of their asses get over themselves. You are worse then anything you think a typical southerner is.

Old 12-12-2010, 05:57 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,218,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post

I live in the northern metro Atlanta suburbs, and it doesn't feel "deep south", culturally speaking. I'd say the same for points northward which become Appalachian in nature, culturally speaking. Most of the "Deep South" doesn't really begin until you get to locations south or due east of the metro Atlanta area. Most of North Georgia can either be classified as Appalachian (locales north of metro Atlanta), or Piedmont (locations within metro Atlanta, and bordering I-85)

I realize that Piedmont is a physiographic region, but there is also a culture that goes along with it, to an extent.

There's nothing wrong with "Deep South", but I don't think that it fits most of north Georgia, given the descent of the Appalachians into north Georgia, unlike, along with the Piedmont. Racially, these areas also do not have a high black population, unlike locales you'd normally associate with "deep south".

Old 12-12-2010, 05:59 PM

2,399 posts, read 4,218,321 times
Quote:
I'm not sure about eastern North Carolina either, but I imagine it once would of rung more true. Now with all the transplants coming down to the areas around the Outer Banks and the coast, its debatable.
Minus areas on the immediate coast, eastern North Carolina is culturally "Deep South". However, northern Georgia, though farther south in some locations, doesn't really fit the description of "deep south".

Old 12-12-2010, 06:06 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Ever watch Swamp Loggers?

Old 12-14-2010, 08:14 AM

624 posts, read 906,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I think people probably think that because they believe "San Antonio" is a Spanish name and that the town was founded by Spanish or Mexicans. And on that people are right. It does have a strong Mexican/Spanish history. (The presence of cotton doesn't necessarily say anything on that as cotton isn't a race or culture, Egyptians of the same period were also big in cotton and Egypt is not in the US South) Still from the 1843 to 1980 their mayors weren't Hispanic so I guess there was a long period of Anglo dominance.

List of mayors of San Antonio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 1930 census in SA was 62% Anglo and 30% Hispanic by 1970 it was 51% Hispanic and and 41% Anglo. I had no idea that heavy cotton production was that close to SA and Bexar County or south central Tx.

Old 12-14-2010, 04:29 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyde81 View Post
Deep South = Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, Alabama, Louisiana, Florida & Texas.

Upper South = Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Oklahoma, North Carolina, central & southern Virginia.
The majority of these two states in bold are not deep south.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:17 PM

711 posts, read 1,143,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The majority of these two states in bold are not deep south.
I consider Texas & Florida as a whole part of the deep south simply, because it is. Granted it doesn't have the image that some of the southern states have like Alabama and Mississippi, but I still group it with them though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.