Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 07:07 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times

Advertisements

depends... some places are warranted? where are you from lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2010, 07:51 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,098 times
Probably intrinsic in humans to spread out and propagate during peak fertile years rather than stay where we are and face the dangers of inbreeding. Once we've found our match in the far-off land to which we've escaped in our 20s, (or next town over, for that matter), the danger of producing inbreed offspring has passed. One then starts to long for the town of their youth and subsequently returns -- not to mention all the free babysitting they will get with grannies nearby, reduced stress on childrearing and values to be passed onto the offspring.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:26 PM

106 posts, read 381,945 times
I honestly can say that I can’t wait to move out of Jackson, Mississippi. I was born and raised here and the place sucks! Sure the cost of living is cheap but you honestly get what you pay for here which is no amenities and things for young people to do compare to other states.

To all the people who wonder why people stay in their hometown but yearn to live somewhere else, maybe it’s because they are afraid of the unknown?

I have never traveled outside of the South but I have been to Dallas and Atlanta and IMO they were like a slice of heaven.

Mississippi is not as bad as people say it is but to me I don’t like the superficial attitudes and the good ole boy networks that are here. Part of the main reasons I am moving when I get my nursing degree.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:05 AM

3,045 posts, read 3,192,643 times
It's not abnormal to hate where you're from. Certainly some people do. Your question makes it sound almost like you're asking if most people do. I doubt that that's the case. When you're young, you live where your parents want to live. Most commonly, this is just where their family lived before. Not everyone has the guts to make a change.

You hate it? Move. Pretty easy.

Old 05-02-2010, 11:42 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Of course it is. Breaking away then settling down. "Lubbock Texas in the rear view mirror" by Mac Davis is the best song about the issue than any others I've heard.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:46 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Yes, very normal.

Now that I've been away from home for six years, I don't hate it as much. But that doesn't mean I'll ever move back.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:26 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,611,574 times
i'm the same way. I was like that when i was younger and I am still like that today. I moved away for three years from my hometown and really enjoyed myself. Then I got pregnant with my first child and wanted family support (I wasn't married either), so I moved back. Now that my child is 4 I have gotten the hang of it and plan to leave my hometown again, this time for good. I did take the time to make a list of the things I do like here so that I can tone down some of my loathing of it .................................................. ......... I only came up with 3 things

Old 05-02-2010, 07:59 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noexcuseforignorance View Post
It's not abnormal to hate where you're from. Certainly some people do. Your question makes it sound almost like you're asking if most people do. I doubt that that's the case. When you're young, you live where your parents want to live. Most commonly, this is just where their family lived before. Not everyone has the guts to make a change.

You hate it? Move. Pretty easy.
No its not easy. $$$$$$$$$

Old 05-02-2010, 08:22 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
No its not easy. $$$$$$$$$

Money won't be an object if you do what a lot of us did...join the Armed Forces. You'll get out of your home town, see all kinds of different places AND get paid for doing it. You'll qualify for college assistance and maybe even learn a marketable skill while you're at it.

And, besides that, your nation is at war and they need you to step up.

Old 05-02-2010, 08:58 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,723,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Money won't be an object if you do what a lot of us did...join the Armed Forces. You'll get out of your home town, see all kinds of different places AND get paid for doing it. You'll qualify for college assistance and maybe even learn a marketable skill while you're at it.

And, besides that, your nation is at war and they need you to step up.
Been there done that. USMC arty 04-08

And it was miserable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.