Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 09:59 PM

717 posts, read 2,808,527 times

Advertisements

Would like to know what you think are some of the best sunbelt cities for young-at-heart, single, empty nester-females. I'm not looking for retirement communities, just cities where single females can find like-minded females/males to develop friendships with and find lots to do that doesn't revolve around a party/bar scene. Since I am not in my 30's, I don't want to find myself in a "young" city. I have a ton of interests and am considered an open-minded, curious, & adventurous, person--willing to try and check-out new things. I have a knack for turning anything into an adventure.

I grew up in a small mid-western town in central Illinois. My roots are friendly & outgoing. I don't like to treat anyone as a stranger until you give me a reason to. I have lived in south-central PA (11 years)& central Florida (10 years). Tho I've come to terms with Florida, I think I have always known that I probably wouldn't want to stay here--mostly because of the extremely long, hot humid summers. Humidity is ok--I just don't want it for 7-8 months of the year. I do miss the change of seasons, but do not want long winters again.

Though I find small towns very charming, I believe that I have gotten so used to living in metro areas that a small town would leave me feeling bored and isolated before long. I would probably prefer a metro area of at least 150,000 people. That would take getting used to as I have been in a metro much larger metro for quite some time. Larger cities are ok too. I just don't want one that is in grid-lock all of the time.

I would just like to have a variety of things to do and places to explore. Restaurants, shopping, medical facilities, decent airport, and safety are concerns. I don't get all wrapped up in the safely issue as where I live in Florida (Orlando) apparently has a high crime rate. It's just never been an issue for me. Exercising common sense is generally all that is necessary.

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 10:39 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,115 times
Boerne and New Braunfels are nice quaint towns just outside of San Antonio

Boerne - Escape to the charming Texas Hill Country and shop along main street at art galleries, antique and speciality stores or stay in historic hotels

Boerne, Texas Chamber of Commerce

New Braunfels Chamber of Commerce

There's also Georgetown 26 miles north of Austin

Visit Georgetown —

Georgetown Chamber of Commerce

Old 04-30-2010, 11:43 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
Cities like Charlotte, Asheville, Winston-Salem, Chattanooga, Charleston (SC), and Savannah come to mind.

Old 05-01-2010, 05:23 PM

I have always wanted to visit San Antonio and Texas Hill Country-and haven't done so yet. Just today at lunch I was trying to convince my daughter to take a quick trip with me to that area. I have been in Dallas only a couple of times and for a day or two--so I have no idea of what Texas is really like.

I have spent a lot of time in the last couple of years in GA, NC, SC, & VA--mostly the mountain areas. Spent a day in Charleston & Savannah-LOVED BOTH--but not enough time to get a really good idea for living there.

However, I did find myself falling in love with most everywhere I went in the southeastern states--which is the problem.....Instead of narrowing things down, my choices seemed to be expanding--which is why I am hoping for more detailed info regarding the demographics. I suppose that could sound silly, as there are folks of all types everywhere and generally, one will find what he/she seeks if they look hard enough. Tho I am young-at-heart, I would probably prefer to not be in a town which seems to be overwhelmingly college age students--tho being near a university definitely has advantages. There is a big difference in being in Athens, GA vs Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill.

Akhenaton--Interestingly enough, all of the cities you mention are ones that I feel I need to look into more--except for Asheville. I should be the type of person that would love Asheville. It always throws me for a loop that I never feel that way when I am there. I have returned to Asheville numerous times thinking I am missing something--but leave always thinking this isn't for me, It's a great place to people watch and I am into herbs, naturals, etc., but I think Asheville is a little too funky for daily life in my style.

BGRN--it is indeed because of the herb farms and other things I have read regarding the area that you mention that I think I need to at least discover it before making a decision.

I guess I am putting an extraordinary amount of time and energy into my search as I will be opening a business and will be self-employed.

A big thank you for the above suggestions as they are all cities I am mulling over in my head, but I want to hear what people who have more "in the know" info than I do have to say.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:34 PM

My daughter & I have our tickets bought to go to San Antonio & surrounds in July. We will be staying for 10 days to look around there, Fredericksburg, & Austin. I am looking forward to it.

However, I really think Texas will be the longshot in all of this as I am just so much more familiar with the southeastern United States. Having spent a great deal of time touring these states, my gut tells me I will end up somewhere here.

I admit, I have overlooked Tennessee--probably because when I was in my 20's I lived in southern Illinois--which is quite close to Tennessee. Found myself in Nashville quite a bit. Though I like it, it probably has a little bit more of winter than I want to return to.

I do intend to check out Chattanooga as I have read many great things about it since the time I was a child and Chattanooga was the pits. I am interested in anything east of Chattanooga as I do love the Smokies.

Anyway, for anyone who has moved to the southeasten/sunbelt areas, I really would like to know if you are happy with your choice or if it isn't quite what you thought it might be--ESPECIALLY if you are in the 40+ age group.

I'm looking for a vibrant town, but not necessarily a young/college age town. Would like to find things that appeal to my age group. At least in my case that means the bar scene could be excluded--but I do like lots of other things.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
I have always wanted to visit San Antonio and Texas Hill Country-and haven't done so yet. Just today at lunch I was trying to convince my daughter to take a quick trip with me to that area. I have been in Dallas only a couple of times and for a day or two--so I have no idea of what Texas is really like.

I have spent a lot of time in the last couple of years in GA, NC, SC, & VA--mostly the mountain areas. Spent a day in Charleston & Savannah-LOVED BOTH--but not enough time to get a really good idea for living there.

However, I did find myself falling in love with most everywhere I went in the southeastern states--which is the problem.....Instead of narrowing things down, my choices seemed to be expanding--which is why I am hoping for more detailed info regarding the demographics. I suppose that could sound silly, as there are folks of all types everywhere and generally, one will find what he/she seeks if they look hard enough. Tho I am young-at-heart, I would probably prefer to not be in a town which seems to be overwhelmingly college age students--tho being near a university definitely has advantages. There is a big difference in being in Athens, GA vs Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill.

Akhenaton--Interestingly enough, all of the cities you mention are ones that I feel I need to look into more--except for Asheville. I should be the type of person that would love Asheville. It always throws me for a loop that I never feel that way when I am there. I have returned to Asheville numerous times thinking I am missing something--but leave always thinking this isn't for me, It's a great place to people watch and I am into herbs, naturals, etc., but I think Asheville is a little too funky for daily life in my style.

BGRN--it is indeed because of the herb farms and other things I have read regarding the area that you mention that I think I need to at least discover it before making a decision.

I guess I am putting an extraordinary amount of time and energy into my search as I will be opening a business and will be self-employed.

A big thank you for the above suggestions as they are all cities I am mulling over in my head, but I want to hear what people who have more "in the know" info than I do have to say.

Yeah the towns like Boerne and New Braunfels are nice cause their quaint and both have alot of german influence since both towns were settled by Germans. And San Antonio has alot to do I would defanatly check out the Riverwalk,Market Square and La Villita and of course you have the Alamo,Sea World and Six Flags Fiesta Texas.

http://www.thesanantonioriverwalk.com/

http://www.sanantonio.gov/dtops/mark...=1280&ver=true

http://lavillita.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage (broken link)

http://www.visitsanantonio.com/index.aspx

Last edited by bgrn198; 05-08-2010 at 10:50 PM..

Old 05-09-2010, 01:35 AM

Bgrn--Thanks for all of the info. My daughter only agreed to go because I told her we could go to Six Flags, Sea World & Schlitterbaugn (sp). See you in July!!! Any festivals or anything going on in that area from July 13-July 23?

Old 05-09-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
Bgrn--Thanks for all of the info. My daughter only agreed to go because I told her we could go to Six Flags, Sea World & Schlitterbaugn (sp). See you in July!!! Any festivals or anything going on in that area from July 13-July 23?

Can't think of festivals going on then but that doesn't mean there aren't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.