Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 11:51 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,853,448 times

Advertisements

There's a thread on the NYC that's really long about foods people can't find outside the metro area. What about your metro area? As much as people like to believe, when you leave the metro area that food is known for, it really isn't nearly as good.

Here's my list for my metro:

-Bagels and bialys (most people don't seem to know what a bialy is. They're awful outside the area, if they even have them).
-rainbow cookies
-zeppolis and cannolis
-Pizza (well, Chicago metro has good pizza, but other than these 2 metros, it isn't really any good).
-black and whites
-egg creams (no, there's no egg or cream in them)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2010, 12:21 PM

2,943 posts, read 5,047,504 times
German/Polish/Serbian food.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:26 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,763,498 times
Same list as you, Rachael + Delicatessens, Hot Dogs, and Gyros
I even pride the burgers around here (Jersey anyway, I.E. NJ has the most diners in the world), but there's a few metros with good burgers.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:30 PM

I also noticed that when traveling, and also living upstate and in Maine, NOBODY knew what a garlic knot was. They gave me weird looks at pizzerias, lol.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:40 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,894,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
There's a thread on the NYC that's really long about foods people can't find outside the metro area. What about your metro area? As much as people like to believe, when you leave the metro area that food is known for, it really isn't nearly as good.

Here's my list for my metro:

-Bagels and bialys (most people don't seem to know what a bialy is. They're awful outside the area, if they even have them).
-rainbow cookies
-zeppolis and cannolis
-Pizza (well, Chicago metro has good pizza, but other than these 2 metros, it isn't really any good).
-black and whites
-egg creams (no, there's no egg or cream in them)

Ahhh jeez, the old "New York has the best pizza and bagels" game.

You can get excellent pizza and bagels in Boston.

Montreal is very known for their bagels.

You can get cannolis anywhere with an italian population. Go to Mike's Pastry's in the North End of Boston, I can'T imagine too many places can beat them, in NYC or anywhere.

Black and Whites exist everywhere as far as I know. Well, you can definitely get them in Boston.

Come to think of it, other than bagels, this entire list is just italian-american treats.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:41 PM

2,713 posts, read 6,078,791 times
Seafood, Pizza, and coffee.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWereRabbit View Post
Ahhh jeez, the old "New York has the best pizza and bagels" game.

You can get excellent pizza and bagels in Boston.

Montreal is very known for their bagels.

You can get cannolis anywhere with an italian population. Go to Mike's Pastry's in the North End of Boston, I can'T imagine too many places can beat them, in NYC or anywhere.

Black and Whites exist everywhere as far as I know. Well, you can definitely get them in Boston.

Come to think of it, other than bagels, this entire list is just italian-american treats.

Boston has good italian pastries and food, but the pizza and bagels just aren't up to par. And yes, I have been to Boston many, many times. I went to school in Portland and my ex went to BC, so I was there like every other weekend.

One thing I'll say for Boston is the New england clam chowder. By far the best I've had was in the Boston area.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Same list as you, Rachael + Delicatessens, Hot Dogs, and Gyros
I even pride the burgers around here (Jersey anyway, I.E. NJ has the most diners in the world), but there's a few metros with good burgers.

Gyros- anywhere with greek people. there are a looooot in Boston

Hot Dogs- exist everywhere. As far as good ones? I'm sure Chicago-boosters will have something to say.

Delis- are you joking? Where are there not Delis? There are loads of quaaaality delis around here.

Okay. I am sorry for shooting you both down. After thinking about it, it might not be that these foods exist everywhere, but just that Boston and NY have similiar foods. But seriously, you cannot have a monopoly on extremely basic foods that are enjoyed all over the country.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Boston has good italian pastries and food, but the pizza and bagels just aren't up to par. And yes, I have been to Boston many, many times. I went to school in Portland and my ex went to BC, so I was there like every other weekend.

One thing I'll say for Boston is the New england clam chowder. By far the best I've had was in the Boston area.

I was going to say clam chowder but then I realized you can get it in Maine, which really isn't the Boston area. Would you say the chowder in Boston is better than in Portland?? I haven't had enough in Maine to fairly judge.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:45 PM

^^Just because other places in the country have them, doesn't mean it's any good.

Delis are NOT the same elsewhere...I laugh seeing the delis in other areas of the country. Nothing is really fresh and there isn't even the same selection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.