Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 07:32 PM

595 posts, read 2,742,180 times

Advertisements

Out of the ones you have been to, which one(s) did you like the most and why?

Try to post pictures!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 07:42 PM

23,012 posts, read 34,370,036 times
The Great Smokey Mountains National Park is my favorite, oh the beauty there is amazing. I love the mountains, the streams, the hiking trails.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:50 PM

605 posts, read 2,380,281 times
Canyonlands - breathtaking scenery. Prefer it to Grand Canyon.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:55 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,508 times
Acadia National Park, where the mountains meet the sea. I don't think there's a square inch that's not beautiful there.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:18 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,753,956 times
Wow, it's really hard to pick just one. So many good ones come to mind: Crater Lake, Channel Islands, Death Valley, Rocky Mountain, Hawaii Volcanoes (where I was actually able to poke flowing lava with a stick!), etc...

So, I'm going to have to pick two that are very near each other and call them one...
Yosemite (not a hard decision) and Kings Canyon/Sequoia.
Pictures -
Yosemite:
It's hard to argue with Ansel Adams

Cathedral Peak in Yosemite's back country

Toulumne Meadows (also Yosemite back country). Big sky country?
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_wA8V6XdkR2E/RanNBKOTm-I/AAAAAAAAATc/jRxqAUe8X5Q/Tuolumne+Meadows+Sunset+Reflection.jpg (broken link)

Kings Canyon/Sequoia:
General Sherman, the largest living thing on the planet (it's nearly 300 feet tall, and 105 feet around at the base). This image was pulled off google images, no idea who the people playing on it are.
http://justinsomnia.org/gallery/d/4460-2/IMG_8915.jpg (broken link)

Mt. Whitney, the highest peak in the lower 48 states.

The Palisades, Kings Canyon

http://www.wadih-ghsoubi.com/Nature/1/original/Dusy%20Basin%20and%20the%20Palisades,%20Kings%20Ca nyon%20National%20Park,%20Ca.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Administrator; 09-28-2009 at 08:01 AM.. Reason: copyright infringement - DMCA Complaint

Old 07-31-2008, 08:42 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
Apostle Islands, WI

Great Smoky Mountains, TN

Those parks out west do look beautiful though. I will have to check them out.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:18 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
I honestly don't think I can name just ONE favorite national park. Our country is blessed to have the most beautiful, most extensive and most accessible national park system on the planet. Each park showcases some spectacular scenery.

Of course I love the Great Smoky Mountains here in TN/NC, and apparently I'm not alone since it's the most popular national park in the country.

But then I go to Canyonlands, Zions and Arches in Utah, the Grand Canyon in Arizona, or Yosemite in California, or Yellowstone in Wyoming, even the Everglades in Florida. I honestly cannot say which one I think is the most beautiful because they are all so completely different and move me in different ways.

I would dearly love to go to Arcadia in Maine.

I suppose since I live next door to the Great Smoky Mountains and have a cabin up in the mountains right next to the park, that'll be my favorite. I'm going rock climbing in a couple of weeks up in the Smokies, and the view from the top always moves me to tears.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:01 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
All the National parks I have been to have their merits. The least favorite is Arcadia because of the number if tourists that flock there every summer. I do like going there in the off season though. Other than that, I like them all, but have a fondness for Isle Royale N.P. in Lake Superior. Probably because of the LACK of the people crush there during any season.

All of them are uncommonly beautiful. Each has a different feel to it, and each are prime examples of the type of wilderness they are trying to protect and portray for the public.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:28 AM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
All the National parks I have been to have their merits. The least favorite is Arcadia because of the number if tourists that flock there every summer. I do like going there in the off season though. Other than that, I like them all, but have a fondness for Isle Royale N.P. in Lake Superior. Probably because of the LACK of the people crush there during any season.

All of them are uncommonly beautiful. Each has a different feel to it, and each are prime examples of the type of wilderness they are trying to protect and portray for the public.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. Great post!

Old 08-01-2008, 07:52 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,052,482 times
Mount Rainier National Park in Washington State
Glacier National Park, Montana
Attached Thumbnails
Your Favorite National Park-rainier.jpg   Your Favorite National Park-st_mary_lake.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.