Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:52 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,310 times

Advertisements

My daughter and a couple of her friends have this great opportunity to travel abroad (all expenses paid) at the invitation of one of their friends whos family has been transferred . The girls are 13. Our first thought was "terrific- lets apply for her passport" , which we did) . Now Mom is starting to stress out about the potential hazards of sending 2 or 3 13 year old girls on a 17 hour trip to the opposite side of the globe without adult supervision. Its not so much the girls- they are an extremely responsible group - but what could happen along the way: a. missed connections b. delays c. predators d. illness e. what have you.
My view ( Dad's view) has been that the rewards well outweigh the risks which are either minute, or such that the girls can handle them. But I am beginning to think that this decision will go easier if someone from the airline could be there for the girls, as a kind of chapperone. I understand this is commonly done for minors. What do you think? Do you have any experience with this sort of thing? Where do you see the risks? Thanks, S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 11:38 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Sorry,I have 2 daughters and I wouldnt do it.I would make sure I went or another adult I trust.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:29 PM

1,008 posts, read 4,026,278 times
I also would have reservations Steve. I don't think that you can always live your life within a "safe bubble" but sometimes you have to weigh the risks. I would feel more comfortable by sending an "older friend" or someone you trust, say age 25 and older. We're talking "outside the U.S." where ANYTHING could happen. I just don't think you have the "life experience" at that age to know what to do should something go wrong.

If you decide to do it make sure they are strapped with phone cards and have plenty of cell phone minutes/money etc....

Old 06-13-2007, 12:35 PM

572 posts, read 2,089,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
My daughter and a couple of her friends have this great opportunity to travel abroad (all expenses paid) at the invitation of one of their friends whos family has been transferred . The girls are 13. Our first thought was "terrific- lets apply for her passport" , which we did) . Now Mom is starting to stress out about the potential hazards of sending 2 or 3 13 year old girls on a 17 hour trip to the opposite side of the globe without adult supervision. Its not so much the girls- they are an extremely responsible group - but what could happen along the way: a. missed connections b. delays c. predators d. illness e. what have you.
My view ( Dad's view) has been that the rewards well outweigh the risks which are either minute, or such that the girls can handle them. But I am beginning to think that this decision will go easier if someone from the airline could be there for the girls, as a kind of chapperone. I understand this is commonly done for minors. What do you think? Do you have any experience with this sort of thing? Where do you see the risks? Thanks, S.
I think it would depend on where you're sending them, but I'm a little confused. Will they be staying abroad with responsible adults? Is it just the flight you're worried about?

Old 06-13-2007, 12:55 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
i get a nervous stomach thinking about it and she's not even my daughter! no, i wouldn't allow it. a 2-3 hr flight with no connections is one thing, but 17 hours with a connection god-knows-where (is it out of the country?) - absolutely no way.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:08 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,951,310 times
To clarify: she would be met at the airport (in China) by responsible adults- friends of ours, with whom she would stay. The concern is the actual journey.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:54 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Just make sure they understand the IMPORTANCE of their PASSPORTS and if lost, misplaced, stolen they could miss a plane/connection or not be able to get back home. I'd check to see how much it would cost one parent to at least fly w/ them. Another could fly over and fly w/ them back. Sounds like a lot of flying for an adult to make for just that but when you consider the risks........ I'll pay for it. I also don't like having kids on planes even domestic flight w/ no connections by themselves. Too many perverts out there. Look at how many cases of sexual assualt have happened and the flight attendants and other passangers do NOT always notice. I've read of some kids being fondled by the person next to them by the adult putting a blanket over their laps and I believe not long ago one child was followed into the lavatory and assualted (yes it is small in there but it is NOISY on those planes and someone may not hear them or notice it especially if they go to the one in the rear). Then you have the issue of the airports and what all can happen there. Since they are minor children if one parent calls ahead and makes arrangements they can accompany them to the gate and go thru security w/ them. Is it possible to find another trusting adult in the city where the connection is to do such? Or even the parent that could fly could fly w/ them to the connection city and then meet them there on the way back. Then just stress to the reservation agent that ALL of them MUST be sitting side by side on the plane and that there will be no exceptions.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:01 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,615,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
To clarify: she would be met at the airport (in China) by responsible adults- friends of ours, with whom she would stay. The concern is the actual journey.
CHINA?? NO NO NO WAY IN H###-Send a parent with them or wait till they are over 18,I would not even CONSIDER it for a second --13????

Old 06-13-2007, 02:27 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Years ago we put our younger kid on a plane from Denver to south Florida. He was only 5 and the airline, I forget which one it was, sort of "assigned" a flight attendant to him. His grandparents had to show ID to pick him up.
Later as a middleschooler he went with a school group to Greece, but that was with chaperones, obviously. I was fine with the Greece trip but I have to admit I was a total emotional mess putting him on that plane to Florida. I would look into the various airlines' policies for underage kids.
Good point from momof2 about the passport. On another trip, this same kid left his passport on his plane seat. We got it back, but ooh we were not happy.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:00 PM

378 posts, read 1,203,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
CHINA?? NO NO NO WAY IN H###-Send a parent with them or wait till they are over 18,I would not even CONSIDER it for a second --13????
I have to agree. Absolutely do not let them go alone. And remember, if something SHOULD happen, you would NEVER forgive yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.