Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 07:17 PM

6,339 posts, read 11,084,820 times

Advertisements

There is nothing to suggest in the original post that relocation to another region is an option. And Gary is still Gary regardless of the ethnicity of the various neighborhoods. The bottom line is that the city is decidedly unsafe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 08:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,777 times
I used to live in Miller IN and found it to be quite affordable... I am white, female, working class - was working in Chicago and commuted to my job every day. It was tough finding good quality food (Merrillville -south on 65- was the only real shopping option) and lots of local amenities are missing (as has been noted in earlier posts). Just a decent place to go out to eat every once in awhile was difficult to come by.

After living there 6 months, I was violently mugged walking home on a Wednesday. I was beaten in the street for all of $4 cash in my pocket (and developed severe PTSD as a result of the trauma). The bottom line is, the price is right but it costs you in so many other ways. Try Hammond, East Chicago, Hegewisch, anywhere by Gary/Miller/Aetna/etc. I've lived in DC safely for 8 years. People say DC is scary/dangerous but, in my opinion, it is NOTHING like Gary. It's a desperate, polluted wasteland of misery. Don't do it.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:13 AM

16,698 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Many (maybe most) poor whites live in rural, semi-rural, or exurban areas--or small towns.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:05 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
Im wondering though, what is the nature of crime in that area, or any similar area for that matter. Are most violent acts commited between gang members, drug dealers and members of disfunctional families? If so, can it be assumed that i will be safe as long as i don't associate with drug dealers, gangsters or disfunctional people?
It's kind of difficult not to if you live in a neighborhood with a disproportionate number of them. I always hear people say "violent crime is usually between people who are acquainted, so you shouldn't have any problem." Well yeah, except that you'll inevitably become acquainted with people who are up to no good if you move into a neighborhood with a disproportionate number of such people.

All I can say is even Gary has million-dollar houses, and I'm guessing there's a good reason why this one is $10K.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,500 times
I am a white man with a black girlfriend and I can tell you that moving into a poor black neighborhood is an idiotic decision for a white man. You will be openly and unashamedly harassed and discriminated against. There is no social stigma assigned to black men who discriminate against white men. Do not listen to these White Suburban kids who think that they can intelligently answer this question. Ask black people who you are very good friends with who has actual first hand knowledge of poor black neighborhoods, not just a random black person. Bear in mind that you will often times not get an honest answer to this question from someone who you do not know. Believe me when I tell you that what you suggest is a horrible naive idea.

Old 01-07-2017, 10:56 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyShep View Post
I am a white man with a black girlfriend and I can tell you that moving into a poor black neighborhood is an idiotic decision for a white man. You will be openly and unashamedly harassed and discriminated against. There is no social stigma assigned to black men who discriminate against white men. Do not listen to these White Suburban kids who think that they can intelligently answer this question. Ask black people who you are very good friends with who has actual first hand knowledge of poor black neighborhoods, not just a random black person. Bear in mind that you will often times not get an honest answer to this question from someone who you do not know. Believe me when I tell you that what you suggest is a horrible naive idea.
Maybe something else is at play here?

I grew up in a majority black neighborhood and still live in one today (both in Philly), and really have never had any issues.

Old 01-07-2017, 11:49 AM

3,575 posts, read 3,075,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Maybe something else is at play here?

I grew up in a majority black neighborhood and still live in one today (both in Philly), and really have never had any issues.
There are differences between a mixed/majority versus a super-majority neighborhood (greater than 95%) one group, especially at either end of the economic spectrum. Lack of daily contact with different people make some feel more "threatened" by those not like themselves.

Last edited by RocketSci; 01-07-2017 at 12:26 PM..

Old 01-07-2017, 02:09 PM

76 posts, read 77,057 times
When I lived in Brooklyn, I had zero problems living in a mostly african american community (I'm hispanic but look white). I actually made a lot of friends (I'm pretty good at basketball and was known as the spanish guy that can hoop) and at night kept to myself and faced no problems.

For what it's worth, I enjoyed living in Brooklyn then any other places I lived.

Last edited by FLnative1989; 01-07-2017 at 02:19 PM..

Old 01-08-2017, 06:17 AM

93,276 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondvision212 View Post
Are you living in a city like Gary?
If the OP didn't mind or wanted Gary, they should have looked into Miller (Beach) and perhaps neighborhoods near the University(IU Northwest), to the NW near the rail stop(Gary/Chicago Int'l Airport) or to the outer SW.

Old 03-17-2018, 06:31 PM

164 posts, read 119,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Many (maybe most) poor whites live in rural, semi-rural, or exurban areas--or small towns.
That's a good point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.