Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 09:06 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,337,825 times

Advertisements

Sigh...I have not heard those songs in forever almost game me an orgasm for real.

So much good music in the 90's from grunge to alternative, to techno/trance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2015, 12:39 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,319,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
I would not call grunge a phenomenon. I call it a disaster. It was horrible music designed by the corporations to sucker teenagers into begging their parents to spend way too much money, so they can live a retarded lifestyle.
I think 90s fashion is awesome, especially all the cool skateboarding stuff. I wish girls nowadays would dress like that instead of the horrible uggs/yoga pants thing they all wear in college. And I wish more dudes would dress up in grunge too, everyone here just goes to class in sweatpants, hoodies, and hats turned sideways that still have the New Era sticker on them. Bring back the skateboards and the flannel and the jean jackets!

Old 07-24-2018, 04:04 PM

3,728 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
I think 90s fashion is awesome.. Bring back the skateboards and the flannel and the jean jackets!
I think the movie Singles is a good document of the early 9os (grunge) style & culture. Singles dropped in Fall of '92, so grunge music/style was already pretty well established by then. But the movie was filmed a year & a half earlier (Spring '91), before Soundgarden & Pearl Jam were household names, etc. Good look at the early grunge aesthetic that was forming organically in Seattle & the Northwest.
Cameron Crowe was prophetic documenting the grunge cultural trend.

Old 07-24-2018, 05:07 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
I guess the scene is completely dead now (even in Seattle), but remember back in the 90s, when grunge music was all the rage?

What neighborhoods in your metro area were the center of your city's grunge/alternative fanbase in the 90s?

And what metro areas besides Seattle was grunge most popular in? I venture to say Portland Oregon because of proximity, but Chicago did have the Smashing Pumpkins, Veruca Salt and Liz Phair.
Atlanta: Little Five Points, Candler Park, Poncey-Highland, Inman Park.

Old 07-25-2018, 05:19 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,967,570 times
Quote:
I would not call grunge a phenomenon. I call it a disaster. It was horrible music designed by the corporations to sucker teenagers into begging their parents to spend way too much money, so they can live a retarded lifestyle.

Just talking about the music, it was a clear and absolute regression in quality. I dont even know how else to explain it. Only very few songs even stand the test of time. The rest is just . . . I dont even know.

As for the fashion, and lifestyles like rollerblading and skateboarding, and wide legged pants, and all those hairstyles, where do I begin? It was probably the first successful mass marketing campaign ever by wallstreet/corporations. The second being the attainment of the college degree.
Music is in the ear of the beholder.

Regression in quality? Or upgrade in honesty? I always felt most grunge singers were more honest in their lryics and song writing, a lot of it was anti corporate, not to the same degree as punk though.

Old 07-28-2018, 09:09 PM

7,733 posts, read 6,450,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
Music is in the ear of the beholder.

Regression in quality? Or upgrade in honesty? I always felt most grunge singers were more honest in their lryics and song writing, a lot of it was anti corporate, not to the same degree as punk though.

Apparently Kurt Cobain was a good old fashioned business man CEO. Whodda thunk?

Old 07-29-2018, 09:31 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Lord knows I'm not well informed on fashion but this thread made me realize that I haven't seen any skinny kids' underpants exposed with their jeans hanging around their thighs in at least a year.

Old 07-29-2018, 03:51 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,086 times
Never having been part of any subculture, I always wonder who starts a subculture and why. There has to be some person who first starts dressing in a certain way. And how one person starting dressing in a certain way can cause a whole new subculture to take off.

It seems 'hipster' is the most recent big subculture. Who was the first hipster? What motivated him/her to dress in what we now call a hipster way? What makes hipsters tick? Why to they want to distinguish themselves from the general population?

And what causes the inevitable decline of all subcultures? It has happened to hippies, grunge, punk, gothic, and probably many more. People just get bored with it? Can't say I've seen many hipsters either lately.

Old 07-29-2018, 04:35 PM

1,642 posts, read 1,397,539 times
Quote:

Just talking about the music, it was a clear and absolute regression in quality. I dont even know how else to explain it. Only very few songs even stand the test of time. The rest is just . . . I dont even know.

As for the fashion, and lifestyles like rollerblading and skateboarding, and wide legged pants, and all those hairstyles, where do I begin? It was probably the first successful mass marketing campaign ever by wallstreet/corporations. The second being the attainment of the college degree.
Era's usually only have a couple songs that stand the test of time. The first successful mass marketing campaign seems like the Beetles, they were a boy band if they were around in the 90's they'd be the Backstreet Boys.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:31 PM

379 posts, read 467,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
Era's usually only have a couple songs that stand the test of time. The first successful mass marketing campaign seems like the Beetles, they were a boy band if they were around in the 90's they'd be the Backstreet Boys.

This ignorant post deserves an automatic ban. Beetles? Never heard of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.