Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 01:47 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Yes, exactly! Forget posting major cities and hoping to stump people on here.
Barely anybody takes interest in there surroundings. My friends are the same way dude, I moved in March and when I told my friends where I was moving, they never heard of the city I was moving to. They all say I live in Newark because that's all they know(remember) when I try to give them an idea where it's by.

Haha, funny you mention the Empire state building. I lived 8-10 miles from Manhattan all my life (despite my 3 year absence out of the area) and never been to the Empire state building either. I see it all the time, but never actually been there.
this is why when i was "back home" in NJ and people would come visit me, i would use every excuse to do the "touristy" things. i have seen pretty much every famous landmark in NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 01:59 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
well many of us from NJ/NY have moved down to NC, and i think what they hate most is that we either talk about how it was at home or try to compare it to back home.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:11 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,998,067 times
I hate when Californians who move here to Texas for a better job gripe the whole time because its not "Cali". They always talk about the day they'll go back...yeah right. Unless you have family there you ain't goin' back, sorry to say.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:42 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
I hate when Californians who move here to Texas for a better job gripe the whole time because its not "Cali". They always talk about the day they'll go back...yeah right. Unless you have family there you ain't goin' back, sorry to say.
I hear you, Matt!

People who move to New York City may gripe about wherever they came from...but it doesn't go on for too long. For one thing, we don't want to hear it. It's very easy to get a response like, "If wherever you came from was so great, then go back!" (People from out of town often interpret this as rudeness on the part of New Yorkers--but it's no such thing. It's just our attitude: here you are, so deal with it. We have a lot to deal with around here!)

Old 05-16-2010, 06:11 AM

2,032 posts, read 4,893,642 times
In Phoenix, Californians and people from Back East are always so upset it's not like where they're from, they complain about the summer(and never appreciate the six months of nice winter weather), they complain about the food, say there's no culture, and then they buy a house, and tell friends and family to move here too.

The worst, though, is transplants bringing their sports allegiances and the visiting teams fans out- numbering the home teams.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:15 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,494,989 times
In Youngstown, some locals seem to get offended if an outsider says something nice about the city. Unless it's about Mill Creek Park; even the most jaded, hateful Youngstown residents will concede that MCP is fantastic.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:00 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
In Portland. It seems to be anything that doesn't show praise for the Almighty God of all Earth. Portland, Oregon. In other words Portland is in love with itself, like no place most of us have ever seen. Yet it has tremendous social problems that are overlooked both by residents and the media. Problems are not dealth with as they are not really considered probems. They have been a way of life for decades upon decades. The severe chronic homelessness and drug useage. The constant lack of meaningful employers. The tons of people that drift here and are basically that drifters with no direction. The high income tax that those of us that work pay to fund all of these, type people that bring nothing for generations. The high percentage of welfare receipients. This state is huge and yet only has half the population of Massachusetts. Yet 1 in 5 in Oregon and much of that is Portland is on food stamps. This phoney portrayal of a city, that is so much better than so many other areas is snobby and basically a lie. If one doesn't agree that Portland is some utopia of the highest order of people and environments, they could very well be ostrasized by Portlanders. To me that is not an appealing place to live, especially in a city that is about as white as it gets. Get some actual diversity Portland and learn what the actual definition of the word is.

So that is what angers locals. Bascially not agreeing with local views and ways that much of America would find lacking in reality, fairness and above all appeal. Mostly though what angers is basically that transplants moved here in the first place, and at least contributed something to this hideous local enconomy. Yet they are virtually blamed for every single problem the local area has, even before the masses of them moved here. Real friendly place Portland is. Well if your the right kind that thinks the exact same way on their strange politics and views that is. Otherwise you will be out of place and they could care less. MOVE would be the response. I don't know of any region of any place in America besides Oregon, that was allowed to actually post a sign at the state borders that read. "Welcome to Oregon Have a nice visit but please don't stay here". The state was eventually forced to take this sign down that was signed by the Govenor.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:14 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Yes, exactly! Forget posting major cities and hoping to stump people on here.
Barely anybody takes interest in there surroundings. My friends are the same way dude, I moved in March and when I told my friends where I was moving, they never heard of the city I was moving to. They all say I live in Newark because that's all they know(remember) when I try to give them an idea where it's by.

Haha, funny you mention the Empire state building. I lived 8-10 miles from Manhattan all my life (despite my 3 year absence out of the area) and never been to the Empire state building either. I see it all the time, but never actually been there.
I only went to the Empire State Building for the first time about 3 or 4 years ago, when I was in my late 30's. I grew up about 4 miles away as the crow flies. I've only been to the Statue of Liberty once and Top of the Rock about 3 yrs ago. Luckily I went to the WTC several times before 9/11.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:29 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I only went to the Empire State Building for the first time about 3 or 4 years ago, when I was in my late 30's. I grew up about 4 miles away as the crow flies. I've only been to the Statue of Liberty once and Top of the Rock about 3 yrs ago. Luckily I went to the WTC several times before 9/11.

Funny thing is I lived in NYC and was never in the ESB or to see the Statue of Liberty or even to the top of the World Trade Center (though in the buildings many times) - I think there is so much in NY for people who live there you never really think of the tourist places - I mean I've seen them even walked by all a ton of times(sans Statue of Liberty). Oddly I have been to the top of the Hancock building in Chicago a few times - though mostly for a drink - great view at night btw

Old 05-16-2010, 12:41 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,053,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Funny thing is I lived in NYC and was never in the ESB or to see the Statue of Liberty or even to the top of the World Trade Center (though in the buildings many times) - I think there is so much in NY for people who live there you never really think of the tourist places - I mean I've seen them even walked by all a ton of times(sans Statue of Liberty). Oddly I have been to the top of the Hancock building in Chicago a few times - though mostly for a drink - great view at night btw
I can agree to this, I think because a lot of us live close or in a particular city, we find it that we can just go to the popular tourist spots in the city anytime since we live there, so we don't bother going to it, until we find a reason too.

I still have not seen the San Jacinto monument in Houston. I feel I can go there anytime, because I live there, versus, I have been to Empire State Building, where as some NYers haven't mainly because my time in NYC was limited, and I thought of it as an opportunity to only go once. Since I normally do not know when I will ever see it in person again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.