Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2010, 10:39 PM

62 posts, read 182,499 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in Los Angeles but are strongly considering a move to New Orleans in the near future. My husband is a union carpenter, but the jobs have dried up in California since they are all funded by the state. Manufacturing jobs pay about $10/hour which is ridiculous since our 1 bedroom apt. is $1250/month. I'm a writer and can work from anywhere.

There seems to be a lot of carpentry/manufacturing jobs in New Orleans and I know the cost of living is a little lower there. Our life in L.A. isn't the greatest since my husband can't find a decent job anymore, but we do like our apartment and are comfortable living in L.A.

We've visited New Orleans many times and love it. I know that living in a place and visiting is compeltely different though, and the crime rate really scares us. Also, if we move, we will sell all of our furniture and stay in an extended stay hotel while we look for a decent place to live.

My fear is that we give everything up here and get stuck living in a hotel because my husband can't find a job. He has applied to a few things in NOLA but hasn't recieved any responses, most likely because we are out of state.

One more issue is that our families live in the Midwest and we never see them. In the five years we've lived in L.A., we've been home once. I am terrified of flying and the drive is just too far. If we move to NOLA, we will be MUCH closer to our families and can drive home for holidays. That is a huge factor for us- we feel like we've missed out on so much (but we're not willing to live in a cold and snowy area again.)

Any thoughts? Should we make the plunge? We will either lose it all or end up loving our new lives. Life is risky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2010, 10:48 PM

150 posts, read 91,443 times
If I were in your position, I would move to be closer to my family. I've been to NO once and I thought it was great. I'm from LA, though, and wish I could go back. So, it would really depend on where you live in NO as far as the crime goes. The decision is yours. Good Luck!

Old 05-18-2010, 09:49 PM

530 posts, read 1,131,339 times
Wow that is a really tough question esp. since you are not moving there FOR a job already lined up.

I lived in New Orleans for 19 years. I now live in Los Angeles.

I have heard a lot of people in New Orleans are out of work right now. My mom says business is down 30% due to the economy.

Crime? Yes there is a lot of crime but it is mostly in those ghetto neighborhoods. If you stay in good areas such as Kenner, Metairie, Uptown (can be sketchy but is awesome and walkable), French Quarter (awesome also and walkable, but can be sketchy), Mid-City (can be sketchy), Lakeview (is like suburb in the city on the lake, really nice, clean, and safe area).

If you have any questions about New Orleans please e-mail.

Good luck!

Old 05-18-2010, 10:05 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,058,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettedaviseyes View Post
My husband and I currently live in Los Angeles but are strongly considering a move to New Orleans in the near future. My husband is a union carpenter, but the jobs have dried up in California since they are all funded by the state. Manufacturing jobs pay about $10/hour which is ridiculous since our 1 bedroom apt. is $1250/month. I'm a writer and can work from anywhere.

There seems to be a lot of carpentry/manufacturing jobs in New Orleans and I know the cost of living is a little lower there. Our life in L.A. isn't the greatest since my husband can't find a decent job anymore, but we do like our apartment and are comfortable living in L.A.

We've visited New Orleans many times and love it. I know that living in a place and visiting is compeltely different though, and the crime rate really scares us. Also, if we move, we will sell all of our furniture and stay in an extended stay hotel while we look for a decent place to live.

My fear is that we give everything up here and get stuck living in a hotel because my husband can't find a job. He has applied to a few things in NOLA but hasn't recieved any responses, most likely because we are out of state.

One more issue is that our families live in the Midwest and we never see them. In the five years we've lived in L.A., we've been home once. I am terrified of flying and the drive is just too far. If we move to NOLA, we will be MUCH closer to our families and can drive home for holidays. That is a huge factor for us- we feel like we've missed out on so much (but we're not willing to live in a cold and snowy area again.)

Any thoughts? Should we make the plunge? We will either lose it all or end up loving our new lives. Life is risky!
May I be frank with you?

I love NOLA, very much, I have never lived there, but look, many cities have a high crime rate. In fact Chicago is always high on the list and we have corrupt politicians too.
My point is, there will be good and bad to any place you go to, NOLA has some really nice neighborhoods too, you won't be living in the ghetto because you live in the city. You can find great areas to live in without worrying about your safety.

Now, the only thing I am worried for here is the job situation. Make sure your husband can get a very steady grasp on a job before you make the move. Keep applying as much as you can, try broadening your application list of cities, try other cities too. Try Dallas, Austin, Oklahoma City, Houston too, but that's just my take on it, that's for plan B in case you have to leave LA and move out and haven't secured a job in NOLA.

The family factor is important, it seems like a much better option being in NOLA than LA as far as family goes.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:17 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Keep applying as much as you can, try broadening your application list of cities, try other cities too. Try Dallas, Austin, Oklahoma City, Houston too, but that's just my take on it, that's for plan B in case you have to leave LA and move out and haven't secured a job in NOLA.
Dude, I swear we think alike most of the times. I was going to recommend OKC too.

Old 05-18-2010, 11:31 PM

4,230 posts, read 10,490,912 times
I don't think the OP will be moving to NOLA. Inquiries on the NO forum turned ugly.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:14 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,058,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Dude, I swear we think alike most of the times. I was going to recommend OKC too.
Great minds think alike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.