Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 01:50 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,900,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JameeLynn25 View Post
I hate to knock my own state but Minnesota has alot of snobby people. Especially Minneapolis! Not everyone. A good 80% of the state are stuck-up! For what reason I will never know! Then again there are people like that everywhere. It just seems alot of them are here!
Snobby suburbanites and snooty Scandinavians superimpose their sad sovereign stench over the North Star State!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 10:09 PM

161 posts, read 328,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasinger View Post
And there's always a chance you might run into someone at the museum who says that if you touch anything you will be horse whipped.
somebody might actually like that, lol ...

Old 05-18-2011, 02:23 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
I think a lot of the nouveaux riche (don't matter where..Westchester County, Orange County, Miami Beach, or Bumblesquat, Arkansas) are the most stuck up, only because many have a subconscious self hating complex rooted in their past.

Old 05-18-2011, 04:48 AM

766 posts, read 1,395,010 times
Find a small boonhick rural town, population under 1,000, and be the newbie that moves in. You will find out quickly that blood is thicker than water, because everybody in that town, that was born and raised there, all share the same blood.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:21 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,515,499 times
I think Portland, Oregon as well as the state is on the stuck up side but its not entertaining. Its rather nauseating. In fact if awards were given for giving the most misleading, phoniest portrayals of itself. This region especially Portland would win the Academy of Awards of Stuck up.

You would think that nothing matters here beyond ignorant politics, bikes and Light Rail and Streetcars. Banning plastic bags in everystore and basically telling America we are the best there is. Our way of life cannot be surpassed in America because we are Oregonians. We are Portlanders and there are no better people in America than us. Everyone else is beneath us. All while jobs have never been created for decades. Unemployment was high here when there was no high. People literally treat all their dogs better (dogs are a culture here) than the throngs of mentally ill and homeless by the thousands in this rather small big city. It is segreated by class here and just inundated by the welfare recipients of America. Yet Portlanders (and there are many natives) are quick to state how much better they are than the rest of America. That everyone wants to live here for the wonderful way of life. What way of life? Heavy drug useage, homeless, thugs, mentally ill, All the people that defacate in public places, while the other classy residents spend the day spitting on the sidewalk. Gang shootings and killings just about weekly. Paying high property taxes to support all these people many that need a kick in the rear end. I would hardly call that a quality of life to be proud of. Yet Portlanders will tell you and correct you if you don't agree with their way of life. They will also ostrasize you and that is why so many leave as I will be doing.

Stuck up and snobby can take many forms and my award for the most Stuck up city in America is Portland, Oregon. The most coldest, depressing and unstable people that give the impression, that those of us that are not native to thier so called utopia are beneath them.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:31 AM

782 posts, read 1,087,209 times
Wow. Reading through the thread - seems like the entire country is full of snobs!

Old 05-18-2011, 10:40 AM

5,981 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Chicago and New York are pretty stuck-up IMO. They compare every city to their city and then point out all the things your city doesn't have and how it makes their city better without taking into account how uncommon cities like their's are. Well...at least the people I've met in person...I'm not stereotyping, just speaking from experience and I'm sure there are plenty of Chicagoans who don't do this. It really seems like Chicagoans like to pick on people from Milwaukee and St. Louis in particular. Oh....to be the biggest house in the neighborhood
Although there is an underlying sense of insecurity and defensiveness in "Chicago style stuck-up." New York could care less. Same with LA. They know they are the twin capitols of the United States. Chicago deep desparately wants to be part of that club. But if they are "let in" then you have to let in a half dozen other cities.

Chicago stands out only because of its huge compact downtown that is very easy for tourists to find there way around. Other than that, Chicago has little thats important that can't be found in D.C, San Fran, Boston, Philly, even Atlanta, possibly even metro Detroit.

Also, another thing to add on, the attitude is more found largely within the city of Chicago. People who don't care about prestige don't mind having a suburban address, and only say "Chicago" when asked where they are from, because Glen Ellyn or Orland Park is not a place they've heard of. People loving having a Chicago address because the live in "the big city"

Its different on the East Coast or California because, when the East Coast and California are associated with cosmopolitan sophistication, so any "stuck-up might be more widespread. People in Texas cities are sometimes more proud to be from Texas.

However, the word midwest conjours up images of cornfields, and factory towns, therefore, city-dwelling Chicagoans want to run away from the midwest, without leaving it because its uncool.

However people don't "run from" California and the east coast because of the positive association.

Most Chicago suburbanites (for the most part) are more down to earth and like other metropolitan midwesterners (IE: metro areas of Michigan and Ohio, St. Louis, etc.). If they wanted to be stuck up they would move to the city to have the "prestige" of having a city address.

If that makes any sense.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:57 AM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texabama View Post
Wow. Reading through the thread - seems like the entire country is full of snobs!
Yeah, especially when somebody thinks Fargo, ND and Lincoln, NE are stuck up. I would have thought they are more salt of the earth folk around those parts. But yeah, snobs are everywhere. Honestly I think many of them are the epitome of subconcious self hatred.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:00 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,579,437 times
New York City is very stuck up, but it also has a huge inferiority complex sometimes too, which is actually sort of lovable.

Old 05-21-2011, 04:54 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,128 times
1. San Fransisco, CA

4. New York City, NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.