Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 03:45 PM

164 posts, read 463,813 times

Advertisements

I scored 42%. "Barely into the Yankee category." And that high only because I picked "Mischief Night" for the name of the night before Halloween.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
34% A definitive Yankee.

I did know about the drive-thru liquor stores in North Carolina called "Brew Thru."

I didn't know how to answer some of these though.

7. How do you address a group of people?
You all
Youse
You'uns, yins
Y'all

Umm, how about "you guys"?

Also, "route" as "root" is Chicago to Tennessee while "route" rhyming with "clout" is northeast US? I don't think I've heard anyone from the Northeast say it in a way that rhymes with clout. In New Jersey, we don't say "Drive down Interstate 80" we say "Drive down Route 80" with route sounding like root. New York traffic reporters say "root" also. I dunno, maybe NYC/NNJ is the exception to the Northeastern rule?
Yeah, lammius, I didn't get that one, either. This pronunciation is probably only "most common" in New England. I know the guys on This Old House are always using "rowters."

Out of curiosity, what did you pick for number four?

Quote:
4. How do you pronounce the second syllable in pajamas?

Rhymes with jam

Rhymes with father

Either

Don't know
According to this quiz, the "rhymes with jam" pronunciation should be more common among New Jerseyans, but I seem to hear "rhymes with father" more. That's how I say it, anyway.

And as for what gym shoes are called, I'm guessing that "sneakers" is now the predominant term countrywide, at least among younger people.

Thanks, missymomof3, this was a fun little quiz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 04:22 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCRob View Post
60% Dixie - which is quite interesting, considering I was born in Ohio and have lived here 99.5% of my life.
I don't think the test is necessarily accurate but fun. Where in Ohio are you?

Old 06-30-2007, 04:24 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marya View Post
Thanks, missymomof3, this was a fun little quiz.
You're very welcome!

Old 06-30-2007, 05:31 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
It is just meant to be fun.
I know, but when you really think about the questions and answers, it's pretty silly.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:55 PM

2,180 posts, read 5,421,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I don't think the test is necessarily accurate but fun. Where in Ohio are you?
West Chester - a suburb between Cincinnati and Dayton.

The strange thing about the quiz is that it said the majority of my responses were indicative of how things are said in the western Great Lakes, or the northeast. So it boggles my mind that I'm considered 60% Dixie.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:46 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,598,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Also, "route" as "root" is Chicago to Tennessee while "route" rhyming with "clout" is northeast US? I don't think I've heard anyone from the Northeast say it in a way that rhymes with clout. In New Jersey, we don't say "Drive down Interstate 80" we say "Drive down Route 80" with route sounding like root. New York traffic reporters say "root" also. I dunno, maybe NYC/NNJ is the exception to the Northeastern rule?
I've never heard the "rowt" pronunciation of the word route in Pennsylvania, either. I don't know where they came up with that being "prevalent" in the Northeast.

Fun quiz, though. 38% "Definitive Yankee" here.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:32 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,719 times
I'm 49% yankee
Husband is 38% yankee

Old 06-30-2007, 07:57 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,471,232 times
I'm 55% (barely Dixie)
Hubby is 57% (barely Dixie)
Makes sense-he has lived all his life in SW MO, which was slightly more favorable to the South in the Civil War.
I moved here from St. Louis at age 14.

Old 06-30-2007, 07:59 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,471,232 times
Oh, we both agreed our answer wasn't included on one question-What do you call a road that runs along the highway? We call it an "outer road" around here.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:00 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
I was born in the South(New Orleans specifically), but I tested 39%. A difinitive yankee. Then again, I did live north of the Mason-Dixon line and I don't have anything close to a southern accent, although I have lived in the South for the majority of my life. I am distinctive in that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.