Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 08:43 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsdad View Post
We'll continue to look around the southeast and hope to find a place where people believe in live and let live, and freedom.
I agree with southernnaturelover that it sounds like it's a matter of the types of neighborhoods you are looking at. TN is pretty well known for being a live and let live kind of place. (Look at all the trailer homes we have )
I should think a decent real estate agent would be able to find plenty of listings that don't involve HOAs, unless you are only willing to consider newer housing with community amenities. That could be a little tougher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 09:04 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,579,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
So very true! People sometimes act as though "freedom" means "I can do whatever I want." But you can't do whatever you want--not so long as you're living among other people. If everyone ran around doing exactly as they pleased, you could forget about freedom; you'd have anarchy.
I've always found it ironic that the region of the country that shouts the loudest about freedom is the same region that worked the hardest to curtail freedoms until the passage of the Civil Rights Act.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:01 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsdad View Post

We're still going to Tennesee, flying down next Sunday, but it doesn't look like it's the state for us. When my right to use my property is determined by your right to look at what you want, and people think that a car parked in the driveway will result in anarchy (riots in the streets?) that's not where we want to live. Even where those covenants don't exist if that's the attitude of the people who live there it's not our kind of place.

You should understand, my neighbors like me, and they especially like my property, with the well tended flower gardens and manicured lawn. I'll do the same at my next house, because I like to have my property look nice. But I might want to have company who'll have to park in the driveway.

We'll continue to look around the southeast and hope to find a place where people believe in live and let live, and freedom.
I don't understand why you're so sensitive. If all you're gonna do is tend your flowers and have dinner guests over, you won't be in violation of any covenants I've ever experienced.

I'm just surprised by your concern about your personal freedom but lack of consideration for mine. I'm certain you would not be so "live and let live" if you had ten feet between your and your neighbors' driveway and they parked a taco truck there every day all day (except mornings and noon). Or if their son had a rock band that practiced in the garage all night. Or whatever it is that crosses the line you've set for acceptable.
Sorry we failed a test we didn't know we were taking. Based on your dismissive comments about Tennesseans in general not caring about freedom, I'd say you're the one who needs to open your mind a little more.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:41 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I don't understand why you're so sensitive. If all you're gonna do is tend your flowers and have dinner guests over, you won't be in violation of any covenants I've ever experienced.

I'm just surprised by your concern about your personal freedom but lack of consideration for mine. I'm certain you would not be so "live and let live" if you had ten feet between your and your neighbors' driveway and they parked a taco truck there every day all day (except mornings and noon). Or if their son had a rock band that practiced in the garage all night. Or whatever it is that crosses the line you've set for acceptable.
Sorry we failed a test we didn't know we were taking. Based on your dismissive comments about Tennesseans in general not caring about freedom, I'd say you're the one who needs to open your mind a little more.
I understand where OP is coming from. Taco trucks would be covered by city ordinances and band practice noise levels would be covered there also.

No need to regulate what colors you may or may not paint your house! That's ridiculous. That does not affect others in any substantial way.

CC&Rs are a terrible, ridiculous thing, in my opinion. So my neighbor has 10 cars on their lawn and let the grass grow 3 feet high and painted their house bright pink? I don't care, as long as they're not dealing illegal goods out of their house or being noisy or bringing in excessive traffic. Let them do what they want to do... It may be an eyesore, but it doesn't really affect me. So why regulate it with covenants?

Old 05-26-2010, 09:00 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
When I was in my 20s and 30s, I was very opposed to the laws that subdivisions put down for residents and thought they were draconian. Now that I'm well into my 40s however, I do see the need for them in most cases. At least based on my own life experiences where I've lived.

Folks will say they don't want to be told when to mow their grass, but "they'll keep it short anyway". That's great - but not everyone thinks like that. Some people will let their lawns grow to 3-4 feet tall and be infested with Rats and Snakes (that go into neighbor's yards), unless they are threatened with fines. Owning your own business is an American dream. But what if the neighbor has a mobile massage service, complete with a van with some 'interesting' photos on them? Or what if they're in sales and have enough visitors to their business that there are always 4-5 cars parked on the street in front of their home?

Paint colors don't matter? How about trying to get top dollar for your home when you're ready to sell when the next door neighbor's home is a nice Lavender color with pink shutters and two old dishwashers on the front porch?

I understand that some communities have regulations that do cross over into the ridiculous. But you can't dismiss all communities that have some structure in them. As has been said, you simply don't have to buy in those communities if you don't like the rules. EVERY state has plenty of homes in unincorporated areas that are not in those types of communities. So finding a standalone home with land that's not under any subdivision laws should be easy. Even finding one in a county that doesn't have code enforcement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.