Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where should the new capital be located?
Saint Louis 18 9.94%
Kansas City 11 6.08%
Denver 20 11.05%
Chicago 26 14.36%
Omaha 13 7.18%
Other, please specify 10 5.52%
Leave it where it is 92 50.83%
Don't care, I'm a secessionist anyway 6 3.31%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 07:31 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LebronInChicago View Post
I voted for leave it where it is.I think Chicagoland should secede from the country.Is it me or does most of the country hate Chicago aka shicago? If they don't want us we should just secede =( and leave the capital in DC!
I have never heard of that, why would they hate Chicago? Maybe there is a certain arrogance towards the entire Midwest...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 04:01 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,071 times
St. Louis, Kansas City and Omaha would all be great choices, since they're in the middle of the country, and they're on the edge of their state, so you could carve out a new Capital District.

But Kansas City is actually the one that's closest to the geographic center (not Omaha, as one person said.) And St. Louis is closest to the population center.

But I agree that it would be a huge waste to move the Capital now.

Old 06-26-2010, 09:47 PM

635 posts, read 1,540,695 times
California is going to secede someday haha, just kiddingg. Leave it in Washington, they can get all the bad rap for whatever goes wrong :P. No, but there's a reason it's in Washington, the whole crossing the river thing and all the history that goes along with it.

Old 06-26-2010, 10:30 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,299 times
Keep the Federal Capitol in Washington DC. The marble monuments are way too expensive to ever move. It should remain.
Since we are no longer the "United" States of America, we are now the "Dis-united" States of America....I propose the following alternative to our state
governments to make them workable as well as the federal government.
1. I like the idea of Federations or regional govenments who elect their own
representatives, instead of Congressional representatives(or should I say paid lobyists now).
2. These Federations will be allocated x number of representatives according to each Federations' population. For example they must all adhere by the same rules and a state like California cannot offer Propositions any longer.
3. The South will never be happy being a part of the U.S. after they lost the War so give them their own Federation, please! We will all be better off without so many Southerners in Congress!!!
4. The Northeast, Mid West, Texas may consider their own group.

Since the number of representatives will be based solely on population, not because Each state can have 2 Senators I think the nation would have more intelligent leadership.......Finally!!!

Each Federation can bring to the Federal Capitol their individual concerns to the President and New Congress in a way which does not interfere with one region not agreeing with another region. I think it would build unity once again. The country is now too large for our Congress to work as we can see.
The Executive Branch, The Judicial Branch would stay the same, the main change will be the Legislative. Lets rewrite the rules of government for the future..It couldn't make our current set up any worse!

Old 06-26-2010, 11:57 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,519,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Keep the Federal Capitol in Washington DC. The marble monuments are way too expensive to ever move. It should remain.
Since we are no longer the "United" States of America, we are now the "Dis-united" States of America....I propose the following alternative to our state
governments to make them workable as well as the federal government.
1. I like the idea of Federations or regional govenments who elect their own
representatives, instead of Congressional representatives(or should I say paid lobyists now).
2. These Federations will be allocated x number of representatives according to each Federations' population. For example they must all adhere by the same rules and a state like California cannot offer Propositions any longer.
3. The South will never be happy being a part of the U.S. after they lost the War so give them their own Federation, please! We will all be better off without so many Southerners in Congress!!!
4. The Northeast, Mid West, Texas may consider their own group.

Since the number of representatives will be based solely on population, not because Each state can have 2 Senators I think the nation would have more intelligent leadership.......Finally!!!

Each Federation can bring to the Federal Capitol their individual concerns to the President and New Congress in a way which does not interfere with one region not agreeing with another region. I think it would build unity once again. The country is now too large for our Congress to work as we can see.
The Executive Branch, The Judicial Branch would stay the same, the main change will be the Legislative. Lets rewrite the rules of government for the future..It couldn't make our current set up any worse!
Have you played Fallout before? Your idea reminds me of the 13 Commonwealths lol. Texas is even it's own group.

United States of America - The Vault, the Fallout wiki - Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas and more

The Thirteen Commonwealths~
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090429205036/fallout/images/c/c4/Fo_General_US_Commonwealths_Rev.png (broken link)

Old 06-27-2010, 11:26 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Have you played Fallout before? Your idea reminds me of the 13 Commonwealths lol. Texas is even it's own group.

United States of America - The Vault, the Fallout wiki - Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas and more

The Thirteen Commonwealths~
I'm so stoked for the new Fallout to come out! I just got into playing Fallout 3, and man do they really take a bat to the DC Area. I think that the Southeastern part of DC looks better in the game after a nuclear blast than in real life

To the question, keep it in Washington. It's too expensive nowadays to even build a bathroom in Omaha, NE never mind moving a capital. It would just be another excuse for the Federal Government to take even MORE of our money!

Old 06-27-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
I'm so stoked for the new Fallout to come out! I just got into playing Fallout 3, and man do they really take a bat to the DC Area. I think that the Southeastern part of DC looks better in the game after a nuclear blast than in real life

To the question, keep it in Washington. It's too expensive nowadays to even build a bathroom in Omaha, NE never mind moving a capital. It would just be another excuse for the Federal Government to take even MORE of our money!
Lol
Well, the Capital Wasteland can look really pretty at sunset or sunrise, especially when you turn to see the Washington Monument towering over everything.

Not the best, but~

I love the National Mall, especially at sunset. Even with the front lines of the war against the super mutants right there lol.

http://media.share.ovi.com/m1/extralarge/0653/312164b68dc84f32a7a36eb4411bb126.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-27-2010, 04:09 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,043,145 times
^^ Oh no our beloved national capital seems to have been incinerated to the ground. Whatever will we do?! I mean we can't live without our beloved Washington DC!!!

Old 06-27-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
^^ Oh no our beloved national capital seems to have been incinerated to the ground. Whatever will we do?! I mean we can't live without our beloved Washington DC!!!
Yup, D.C.'s seen better days...

YouTube - MW2 Ravaged DC

But, we've rebuilt it before, we'll rebuild it again.

YouTube - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Second Sun Briefing (720p)

Old 06-28-2010, 12:21 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Lol
Well, the Capital Wasteland can look really pretty at sunset or sunrise, especially when you turn to see the Washington Monument towering over everything.

Not the best, but~

I love the National Mall, especially at sunset. Even with the front lines of the war against the super mutants right there lol.

Haha, I took care of those super mutants while being a level 6 n00b going to the Museum of Technology by luring them to where the Brotherhood was patrolling and they would start shooting each other Either way, I earned a Laser Rifle (because at least one of the Brotherhood would die) AND a Minigun (those Super Mutant Brutes are hard to freakin' kill at a low level).

I think the developers did a good job representing Northern Virginia and the Maryland suburbs.

Just in case people are wondering what we are talking about, here you go:

YouTube - Fallout 3 - Epic Fight At Takoma Park

Of course, I think this player is a n00b for not using VATS against the Super Mutant, but what can you do?

Again, I think some areas of the game are a HUGE improvement and a lot less dangerous than their real life counterparts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.