Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 10:11 AM

3 posts, read 5,331 times

Advertisements

Hi there. I've been enjoying the city data site for many years. I finally decided to register and post for some help as I've been driving myself nuts for the last little bit. I love city skylines and I'm always on the lookout for some cool pictures for my wallpaper. I ran across a site that has some very nice hi-res pictures. Most of them I can identify or they're identified right on the site. However I have a couple that I can't for the life of me figure out where they are. I've researched and researched for a few weeks now....but can't get a definitive answer on either. Could you take a look and see if you know where these great pics were taken? The first one I THINK may be in Seattle. The 2nd one I really don't have any idea. I guess it's possible it could be a city in Canada but I'm just not sure. Like I said they are both great pics.....I just don't have an answer for the "Hey where is that?" question

Thanks - Michael n Wyoming

Where is that??-light.jpg

Where is that??-city-boats.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 10:27 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,361,576 times
Michael - The first one is Atlanta, the second is Boston.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:15 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
There you have it. I can't recognize the first one as Atlanta's from that view, but I think you can have a reasonable degree of confidence that JohnAtl knows Atlanta's skyline, you know, being that he lives there and all. And I'm from Boston, so I can verify with reasonable confidence (you know, being that I live there and all) that JohnAtl has that one right as well.

I'm glad those turned out to be that easy, so you were able to get your answer with certainty, Michael, though it would have been interesting if this had turned into a long thread with a lot of, "Well, I think I might recognize the building toward the right-center, it looks like maybe, it could be," etc.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
There you have it. I can't recognize the first one as Atlanta's from that view, but I think you can have a reasonable degree of confidence that JohnAtl knows Atlanta's skyline, you know, being that he lives there and all. And I'm from Boston, so I can verify with reasonable confidence (you know, being that I live there and all) that JohnAtl has that one right as well.

I'm glad those turned out to be that easy, so you were able to get your answer with certainty, Michael, though it would have been interesting if this had turned into a long thread with a lot of, "Well, I think I might recognize the building toward the right-center, it looks like maybe, it could be," etc.
LOL - thanks, ogre.

That view of Atlanta is looking South from Midtown towards Downtown, along the infamous 'Connector' - the combined I-75/I-85. The campus of Georgia Tech is to the right of the freeway.

I have to say that the view of Boston from the Charles is much more photogenic.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:33 AM

You know I think I'm a little embarassed.....not that I SHOULD know....but I've seen pics of Boston and Atlanta's skylines before. I had gone as far as going to the Renaissance Hotels web site trying to find an exterior view....since in the Atlanta picture you can see the Renaissance Hotel there. I figured if I could pick it out that way. I swore I had checked the pics of the Renaissance in Atlanta but I guess I missed that....when I went back and looked again, sure enough there it was with the great big gray square building right next door. As for the other I didn't have any idea.....I was thinking smaller city because the skyline didn't look that big but then again I'm guessing that's probably just a piece of Boston's skyline. I should have recognized the buildings on the left since they'd show those all the time on "Cheers". That's a pretty picture. Sure don't have any pretty skylines like that out here in the west. Especially not in WYOMING

Old 05-27-2010, 07:03 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Well, Michael, I'm not so sure about what you're saying about the lack of impressive skylines in Wyoming. I'd say this skyline looks quite spectacular:

Picture/Photo: The Teton range above blue Jackson lake. Grand Teton National Park.

Okay, okay, so you're talking about city skylines, but man, you do have a lot of beauty of another kind in your state.

JohnAtl, okay I think I'm oriented now. Not that I've spent lots and lots of time in Atlanta, but I've got the basic area pinned down now. And when I first saw the picture I did think that very wide freeway looked familiar!

Michael, it's not so much that this is only part of Boston's skyline, rather that this is a second skyline in another part of the city away from downtown. Here's a pic of the downtown skyline, or a portion of it:

//www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv6861.php.

That view is looking west from the harbor. The picture you posted in the OP is the skyline in Back Bay, a couple of miles up the river. Personally, I don't find Boston's downtown skyline especially attractive. Looks pretty blah to me, though I do like the water view in the foreground. I really love the old low-rise architecture in Boston, however, and I think the view of the Back Bay skyline across the river, with the old bridges in the picture, is beautiful.

If you're interested in pinning down the areas you're looking at, I can orient you if you go to a mapping website and punch up a map of Boston. Find the Boston Common and the Public Garden. Downtown covers roughly the area east of the Common/Public Garden, between the Common/Public Garden and the waterfront, south to about I-90, north to about the point where Atlantic Avenue (along the waterfront) turns into Commercial Street. Back Bay is the area SW to WSW of downtown where the streets form a grid. The skyline area in your pic is roughly between Berkeley St. on the east and Mass. Avenue on the west. (Actually, the lower skyline in the right side of your pic runs well to the west of Mass. Ave., but the taller buildings in the left and center of the photo are roughly between Berkeley and Mass. Ave.) The view in your pic is looking approx. from northeast to southwest.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:51 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,690,230 times
Could someone identify the city in this video?

Dailymotion - Dio - Rainbow In The Dark - a Music video

Old 05-28-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Could someone identify the city in this video?

Dailymotion - Dio - Rainbow In The Dark - a Music video
London.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:06 AM

Ah yes, the Tetons. Absolutely beautiful! I guess we DO have our own beautiful skylines here! As far as city skylines no there isn't much here. Here in Wyoming the closest thing we have is probably Casper. Casper's skyline is kinda neat because it sits with Casper Mountain in the background. Here's a panoramic pic. http://commondatastorage.googleapis....al/9608027.jpg

Not much for buildings, especially when you consider the tallest building is probably 10 floors. Look at a real city skyline and a 10-story building is almost un-noticable. Cheyenne has a couple of 10-story buildings as well. Couldn't find a real good picture of Cheyenne's skyline. I guess it's not as picturesque as Casper's skyline. I think it's a neat view, especiallly coming into the city on the I-180 spur.
I think the picture posted of Boston's main skyline is the one I've usually seen in pictures. Makes sense that the one by the water is sort of a "secondary". I remember being a kid growing up in Louisiana, we used to go to Houston all the time. And I remember Houston was kinda wierd like that. Seems you could look all around and see these "clusters" of buildings all around....like which one is the REAL skyline I think a nice skyline is well-defined and stands out and is clustered together nicely. I've read a lot of the city vs city and skyline articles here on City Data. I've always thought of skylines like Atlanta and Nashville are more "scattered". There's tall buildings with spaces in between.....not one nice little hump. But that's just me.

Anyways...thanks again

Michael n wyo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.