Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we allow as Mosque near ground zero?
No way memory of those that died. 49 42.61%
Yes.Of Course this is America.Long as they are peaceful 58 50.43%
No sure.Need more info. 8 6.96%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 07:53 PM

2,563 posts, read 6,055,477 times

Advertisements

I didn't read this thread. I could care less what anyone said. From a moral standpoint and for what America stands for it should be allowed. Now is it the best use of prime real estate? Probably not. But if some organization can buy the land they can put a mosque up.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:47 PM

1,854 posts, read 4,919,196 times
Lol, saying "no, you can't build a mosque here because people practicing your religion have done terrible things before" is oh so American and sends such a good message to the world.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:22 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
I will say this;If I were a member of the mosque I would be very nervous going into the building.However once again,the mosque is TWO blocks away!!!I ask again:"How close is to close?"

Old 05-30-2010, 06:13 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I will say this;If I were a member of the mosque I would be very nervous going into the building.However once again,the mosque is TWO blocks away!!!I ask again:"How close is to close?"
In lower Manhattan, which still features streets that date back to the 18th and even 17th centuries, everything is close to everything else!

I wouldn't be surprised if the people behind the proposal for the mosque chose the site specifically because it's near the site of the World Trade Center. But it could also be the case that they were looking for a location and this one just happened to be available. (I don't recall anyone asking to try and find out what the actual story is).

Old 05-30-2010, 07:00 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,212,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
They are building a memorial. There will be two waterfall things in the spots where the towers stood
Thanks. Didn't know that. Good to know that will be there.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:20 AM

300 posts, read 1,014,587 times
Nooooo way.
people are too liberal nowadays.

Think about it people, Muslims can build mosques in America, Christian country(well not anymore after Obamination).

But when was the last time you heard of a church in SAUDI-arabia for example ?

So no, this aint fair.

Wake up people.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:08 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinnishAmerican View Post
Think about it people, Muslims can build mosques in America, Christian country(well not anymore after Obamination).
Since you state this so clearly, and I happen to be Jewish, I've got to ask: how do you feel about synagogues? Or would you prefer that only churches be permitted?

Old 05-30-2010, 09:22 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
No Way. That site should be reserved for a skyscraper. Put the mosque in a low-rise area!

Otherwise, i do not care. Build it.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:13 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,671 times
Quote:
Nooooo way.

So no, this aint fair.

Wake up people.
In other words, you argue that we should adopt the same low and narrow-minded standards? That these countries are right and that we should live under the same restrictions? That there should be no religious freedom in the US?

It is always amazing to me how people will readily argue that we are too liberal and should be much more conservative. In the same breath, they then complain about the conservative and restrictive stance other countries are taking... Which one is it? You can't condemn other country's conservative politics and argue at the same time that we should adopt similarly conservative politics to make our lives better. Sorry, but that is asinine.

It is irrelevant whether it is fair or not - you have control over the politics on your country and you need to live by the values that you and your society deem important. Just because other nations do not adhere to the same (hopefully high) standards as the western world, does not mean that we should abandon everything that is important to us and lower ourselves to their standard - just to make it "fair" or to teach them a lesson. If anything, we should make it more compelling for them to adopt higher standards as well.

I have a feeling that matching the lowest common denominator is not what the US is all about.

Last edited by vamos; 05-30-2010 at 12:38 PM..

Old 05-30-2010, 02:45 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,786,473 times
Quote:
Nooooo way.

So no, this aint fair.

Wake up people.
Uh you wake up.Saudi Arabia is a "religious state".Its laws are governed by Sharia .(Islamic Law)as it is written.Has nothing to do with liberal.It has everything to do with with who do we want to be.It has nothing to do with Saudi Arabia.You are basically saying that we should be the Christian version of Saudi Arabia.ANY country that becomes a religious state will be one of intolerance,and hate.ANY place that will not allow freedom from religion OR to freedom of assembly worship is NOT a FREE country.It can really get into who should be allowed to make our laws based on who goes to what church.What church is better than the other?Catholics?Methodist?Baptisit?Which Baptist?Fundamentalist or moderates?

By the way.Thanks to Obama maybe we will actually show the world how REAL Christians should act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.