Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we allow as Mosque near ground zero?
No way memory of those that died. 49 42.61%
Yes.Of Course this is America.Long as they are peaceful 58 50.43%
No sure.Need more info. 8 6.96%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 01:49 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
3.There is something wrong with building a mosque so close to such a sacred site. New york city can put that mosque anywhere which makes this whole thing laughable, why two blocks from ground zero?
Perhaps it's because the property is owned by Muslims? I don't think this is a gift from the city. It's not like Bloomberg sat down one day and decided "that's the spot!". Why in the world would a group of Muslim Americans do this as an attempt to "rub it in everyone's face"? There's enough hate and bigotry sprayed their way...I don't see why you think this is them effectively sticking their tongue out at America.

Quote:
Wake up America.
Quote:
A'lot of these cultures cant stand us

You do realize that Muslims are apart of the America you're trying to address, right? There is a forumer on Muslim faith who has been posting on this very thread. He doesn't seem to hate America by any means.

You're telling America to wake up, but I think you're the one who needs to do so. Muslims are apart of our country and our culture, whether you like it or not. You need to realize that.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 05-28-2010 at 02:56 PM..

Old 05-28-2010, 02:05 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
This question is a little like if a person of strong Japanese descent wanted to build something near Pearl Harbor in say 1950. Americans of all faiths or backgrounds should be allowed to develop their property within the regulations permitted, but common sense-wise having Muslims build a mosque near the WTC site shows some cultural tone-deafness on the part of those proposing the mosque.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:00 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,734,977 times
i'll be honest...

i'm a huge liberal and am torn. a few things are on my mind:

what is the intent???
what happens if things turn sour and somebody is recruited into an extremist group there?
what happens if things go good BUT somebody decides to use that mosque as an area for surveillance, etc. and the imams know nothing about it?

i know the politically correct answer, and i have muslims in my family. my former room mate is a muslim. i have nothing against muslims at all and think all of our religions (the big three) are tied and that we all believe in the same God, etc. etc. and i'm a catholic if that matters...

but in my mind, i just wonder, "what if..."

while i don't think its right to tell ppl not to build it, again, what is the true intent? what is the purpose? KONY raises a good point. its not anywhere near a residential area...but not that it has to be.

i don't know, like i said, i'm torn.

this wouldn't be an issue if a church was going to be built in the same location tho. i don't know, we can't tell ppl no, you can't build a mosque there tho...

Last edited by eek; 05-28-2010 at 03:14 PM..

Old 05-28-2010, 03:23 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,460,829 times
^^ I can understand where people are coming from when they say we shouldn't allow this to be built...and I understand why there's a controversy and why others are on the fence. I just think it goes against the ideals that this country is supposed to have. In effect barring the construction of this mosque could be categorized as a "victory" for extremists out there: it means we're still scared of them.

Last edited by tmac9wr; 05-28-2010 at 03:32 PM..

Old 05-28-2010, 05:08 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
as pointed out, it is 2 blocks away, approved by local boards... i don't see the big deal.

regarding the "non-residential" point, Muslims work in the area & I thought it was common knowledge that Muslims prayed numerous times a day?

Old 05-28-2010, 08:30 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
No. No mosque should be built near the WTC. Nor anywhere else for that matter. Islam needs to go the way of the Dodo. Shut the whole damn religion down for good. The middle ages have come and gone, and it's time to move on.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:37 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
No. No mosque should be built near the WTC. Nor anywhere else for that matter. Islam needs to go the way of the Dodo. Shut the whole damn religion down for good. The middle ages have come and gone, and it's time to move on.

Your right, the attitudes they have are straight out of the dark ages.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:46 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,383,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Your right, the attitudes they have are straight out of the dark ages.
Come and stop us then! So much big talk in this thread, and no action. Make the next step already!

Oh that's right. There's nothing you can do about it besides yammering on the computer. Sorry. Maybe in another lifetime!

Instead of having such a hostile stance, why don't you propose a realistic solution that doesn't involve changing the minds of more than 1 billion people through force.

Just in case you guys missed it:
Quote:
Once again: Community Board 1, which is located in lower Manhattan, gave approval. If you aren't a New Yorker, you probably don't understand how much influence and power the local community boards have over doings in their neighborhoods.

I believe the Community Board 1 vote was 29-1 in favor of permitting the construction of the mosque (with ten abstentions). If the people who actually live in that part of the city are OK with that building, then nobody else has a case.
The people in that part of Manhattan THEMSELVES voted for it, not some shadow group of ninja Muslims that have infiltrated the government. Get real you guys. There is no conspiracy among 1 billion Muslims to take over anything.

Most of us just want to live our lives. If you believe anything else, then that's your prerogative.

So, stop me from worshipping my religion. Do it. Before you do, have a nice read of this nice statement

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#Am1
Quote:
Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Nice, you can't force me to do anything. Good work guys True patriots you all are that you don't even recognize the very document you're trying to protect. Its ok though, hiding behind a computer screen works just as well!

Old 05-28-2010, 09:26 PM

8,624 posts, read 10,148,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Come and stop us then! So much big talk in this thread, and no action. Make the next step already!

Oh that's right. There's nothing you can do about it besides yammering on the computer. Sorry. Maybe in another lifetime!

Instead of having such a hostile stance, why don't you propose a realistic solution that doesn't involve changing the minds of more than 1 billion people through force.

Just in case you guys missed it:

The people in that part of Manhattan THEMSELVES voted for it, not some shadow group of ninja Muslims that have infiltrated the government. Get real you guys. There is no conspiracy among 1 billion Muslims to take over anything.

Most of us just want to live our lives. If you believe anything else, then that's your prerogative.

So, stop me from worshipping my religion. Do it. Before you do, have a nice read of this nice statement

The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Nice, you can't force me to do anything. Good work guys True patriots you all are that you don't even recognize the very document you're trying to protect. Its ok though, hiding behind a computer screen works just as well!
9/11 happened to all of us, not just those living in Manhattan. Why not ten blocks away rather than two?

Old 05-28-2010, 09:34 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,383,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
9/11 happened to all of us, not just those living in Manhattan. Why not ten blocks away rather than two?
Of course. 9/11 is an American tragedy, but some of the comments from this thread downright disturb me. My aunt worked at the WTC, but was home sick during the attacks.

I don't exactly agree with the placement either for utilitarian purposes since it could be better used for something else. However, the City of New York can do whatever it pleases because it doesn't have an affect on me either way (not like I'd go there to pray).

Seriously, I fail to see how a placement of a mosque = deporting Muslims and eradicating Islam from the planet (which is why I started participating here in the first place). I don't know how one led to the other, aside from those who have an agenda to play here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.