Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 06:17 AM

786 posts, read 4,733,723 times

Advertisements

If I were looking into moving the first thing I would look at is the Census information on the community. DEMOGRAPHICS is the key to any community. What is a bigger indicator of the quality of life of a community than the people who live there.

Here are the most important demographic characteristics of a City or town:

The race of the population (especially if you are from an ethnic minority yourself)

What country most of the residents came from (A German Town is completely different than an Italian town)

The amount of people who work in professional or technical jobs

The number of people who graduated from high school or college

The average income of the residents of the community
==============
Why would anyone move to a new town without looking at demographics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 06:58 AM

1,712 posts, read 4,233,537 times
I would add something I call "attitude demographics"

How is the general attitude of women towards men, and men towards women?

How are the political and religious attitudes of the population?

etc, etc...

Old 06-15-2007, 08:22 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,464,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
I would add something I call "attitude demographics"

How are the political and religious attitudes of the population?

etc, etc...
yes, but those are much harder to come by...

Old 06-15-2007, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
yes, but those are much harder to come by...
Agreed. You'd really have to visit a city and/or talk to lots and lots of people who are from there and who visited there many times. This forum could be a good supplement to that.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:44 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,901,797 times
That's why we have City-Data. I love C-D.

Old 06-18-2007, 11:29 PM

942 posts, read 1,393,334 times
I was shocked at how the demographics of the Portland, Oregon area had changed, from visit to visit, and how much that change had accelerated since I moved here. It is very difficult to determine demographics in some regions of the country more so than others I have found. Had I known just how fast the demographics especially where it appeared it might lead to more crime prone areas, I don't think I would of ever moved here. Live and learn I guess.

Old 06-19-2007, 07:53 AM

673 posts, read 4,070,530 times
I think it is important to look at the demographics of a city or town but many thing can impacting it either way. For example, some cities have very high violent crime rate but have very low violent crime rates in the metropolitan area because they have not annexed in 100 years while other cities have been annexing and cherry-picking the best areas to annex for years so while their city has lower violent crime rate the metropolitan areas themselves have higher ones because of all the annexation.

I think it's better to look at the demographics for the entire metropolitan area as opposed to just cities proper when looking for new cities/states to live in.

I think the best way to narrow down the choices if someone wants to move to a city is to look at the numbers and if they are favorable then visit the city first. Many cities look very favorable such as Bismarck with high job growth rates, very low unemployment rates, very low violence rates etc. but many, many people would probubly be absolutely miserable in Bismarck, ND then again it might be other people's utopia. One usually has to visit a place first at the very least to see if they will like it.

Last edited by MattDen; 06-19-2007 at 08:38 AM..

Old 06-19-2007, 08:16 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,124,664 times
I have not found demographics useful. Numbers although finite do not portray a picture just describe it.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:47 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,577,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post

I doubt there's a difference in these attitudes in every major city.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
I doubt there's a difference in these attitudes in every major city.
I've found a few but important differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.