Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 01:48 PM

9 posts, read 22,631 times

Advertisements

Well, I finally realized I need to leave Detroit in order to be happy and find good employment. About me...I am a 24 year old male college graduate who has been working low-paying part-time jobs since I graduated a year and a half ago. I am looking to relocate before December and want opinions on which major city is best for me. Some important details about me that might help...I am an introvert, so I am not really into the bar scene and nightlife, a musician, loves culture, fashion, art, music, a vegetarian, loves nature and beauty, learning, literature, don't drink much or do drugs, but consider myself liberal. I would like to live somewhere that has good public transportation if possible, and a lot to offer for my creative side and other similar-minded people. Job-wise, I would like to work in non-profit, academia, fashion, or anything creative, anything entry-level. The cities I have been considering and researching are...Seattle, Austin, Chicago, Boston, and NYC. I need a city where it wouldn't be difficult to find full-time employment. So I guess I am just looking for insight from similar people and residents of these cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 02:22 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,652 times
Your list looks great, add Portland and San Francisco. I'm sure I could suggest other cities but again your seem to be on the right track with your list. Perhaps even look at Denver and Pittsburgh.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:29 PM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Central New York Jobs

Old 05-31-2010, 10:19 PM

9,530 posts, read 16,512,408 times
The best locations for jobs right now seem to be in Texas. Fortunately there are several large Metro's in that state Austin being one of them. I would do some research on Texas. Since employment is high on your list as it should be I would do this. At this point in time the way things are I would head to where you got a job. Even if I liked Denver better than I did Dallas and the job came up in Dallas that is where I would go. Since you are working part time jobs since graduating that is the best advice I can give you. Go where the job is rather than the coolest place.

Also I would not head to Portland unless you had a job already lined up here. This area is about the poorest excuse for employment even in the best of times. You need a very exact type of talent to land a job here, as there is very little industry in this area. Jobs here are in Medical or something that fits in with Intel and Nike and along that line of careers. Many your age head here, and a year later are still unemployed and can't even find a minimum wage job.

When you have a full time job doing what you like to do there is no better feeling. It will take alot of the stress off of you when your settled in with your job.

Good Luck with your research and the choice of locale you decide on. Most of all Best of Luck with employment.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:43 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,104,821 times
What is your field?

Also, if you don't wanna get too far from home, Oakland county as well as Washtenaw county are faring better than many parts of the southeast in terms of employment at this moment.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:42 AM

596 posts, read 1,706,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder142 View Post
, loves culture, fashion, art, music, a vegetarian, loves nature and beauty, learning, literature, don't drink much or do drugs, but consider myself liberal.
New York City is the best fit for you. Don't let the perceived cost deter you.
There are hip, cool neighborhoods where you can live affordably (relative to salary) in Queens, Brooklyn and even just across the river in New Jersey (Jersey City).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.