Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 11:27 PM

10 posts, read 21,114 times

Advertisements

Hello I'm from Jersey City and i live right in the middle of the city so i see all things the parts that used to be nice aren't so nice anymore the kids are taking over very rude and no home training. Where i live the kids hate to go to school cause every other week the kids are scared to come out the school building because of someone shooting outside. they are closing schools left and right and the rent is crazy high and some apt. are very nasty. the block i live on has a lot of new houses that looks like condos for a low price because of the locations. Jobs in jersey city don't exists. Now some parts in the downtown area are nice but it cost a lot more money to live downtown then in the hood parts of the city. I lived here all my life and used to love this city but now that i have kids of my own i cant see my self raising them here the gang violence is out of hand and we have a lot of crimes being committed by 14 year old. when you get to witness a murder in your own back yard you know its time to go so i say my farewells to this city and when i leave i will never look back. THIS IS NOT A PLACE TO RAISE KIDS SO IF YOUR THINKING ABOUT MOVING TO JERSEY CITY PLEASE THINK AGAIN READ THE NEWSPAPER ONLINE. Hudson County News | New Jersey Local News - NJ.com READ IT FOR YOURSELF SOMETIME YOU WILL SEE WHAT I"M TALKING ABOUT. AND PLEASE KEEP ME POSTED
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2010, 10:44 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Yeah, Hoboken's turnaround started in the early 80s and took a couple of decades before the city "arrived." JC started more recently and has a longer way to go. JC's downtown neighborhoods have changed dramatically, and those neighborhoods together are about the same size as Hoboken.

Regarding a "bar district," JC is a city of neighborhood bars. Rather than one thumping club district, you meander around the neighborhood and hit corner bar here, corner pub there. There are more bars in downtown JC than I can count, but they're scattered about all over the place. It doesn't attract club-going kids from the suburban counties like Hoboken does, and as far as I'm concerned they can keep 'em.

no one likes the bridge and tunnel crowd

Old 06-27-2010, 12:00 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC03 View Post
Hello I'm from Jersey City and i live right in the middle of the city so i see all things the parts that used to be nice aren't so nice anymore the kids are taking over very rude and no home training. Where i live the kids hate to go to school cause every other week the kids are scared to come out the school building because of someone shooting outside. they are closing schools left and right and the rent is crazy high and some apt. are very nasty. the block i live on has a lot of new houses that looks like condos for a low price because of the locations. Jobs in jersey city don't exists. Now some parts in the downtown area are nice but it cost a lot more money to live downtown then in the hood parts of the city. I lived here all my life and used to love this city but now that i have kids of my own i cant see my self raising them here the gang violence is out of hand and we have a lot of crimes being committed by 14 year old. when you get to witness a murder in your own back yard you know its time to go so i say my farewells to this city and when i leave i will never look back. THIS IS NOT A PLACE TO RAISE KIDS SO IF YOUR THINKING ABOUT MOVING TO JERSEY CITY PLEASE THINK AGAIN READ THE NEWSPAPER ONLINE. Hudson County News | New Jersey Local News - NJ.com READ IT FOR YOURSELF SOMETIME YOU WILL SEE WHAT I"M TALKING ABOUT. AND PLEASE KEEP ME POSTED
Your negatives don't sound any different from a ghetto in NYC, Chicago, Miami, etc. Of course the best areas are secluded for the wealthy, but I do admit that JC does not leave much room for the middle class families, but there's always nearby Bayonne.
One of the best public high schools IN THE NATION is in Jersey City (Donald McNair Acadamy) and it's also the most diverse school in the nation. It's a very competitive school to get into, but regardless, it deserves a mention.

To your "Jobs don't exist comment", um maybe it's struggeling right now, but most cities have been struggeling for the past 3 years. Jersey City has more office space than downtown Atlanta, Phoenix, and Miami and many NYC businesses have moved to JC because it's cheaper. Give the city some time.

You say you like Jersey City "back in the day" but back in the day, in say the 90s, Jersey City was at its worst. It's improving so much and it's skyline has boomed so rapidly, so I don't get how you can possibly feel that way.
Also:

Children's Health Magazine : Parents : The 100 Best (and Worst) Places to Raise a Family

Refer to #13. This list is a little off IMO, but to make it seem like Jersey City is among the worst places to raise is just plain ridiculous. Especially since it's growing, it's VERY diverse, and it's becoming an ideal place for business.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:53 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
I always thought that Jersey City lived in Hoboken's shadow.
I don't think a city of nearly 300,000 can be in Hoboken's shadow. Hoboken has about 50,000 people, lol. Just ONE of Jersey City's skyscrapers casts a literal shadow over Hoboken, which has no skyscrapers!

Old 06-29-2010, 08:59 AM

Jersey City offers an amazing overall city experience. I think outside of NYC, Jersey City is the 2nd densest city in the US!

JC has blocks and blocks of gorgeous historic rowhouses and brownstones. It's true urban living, and a car is not required, and is in fact a hinderance. Pubic transportation is very good. The PATH subway puts you at the World Trade Center in only a few minutes.

The cultural diversity is a plus. I can literally get any type of ethnic food imagineable, within a 10 minute walk from my house - Polish, Italian, Portugese, Spanish, Cuban, Soul Food, Vietnamese, Thai, Japanese, Chinese...the list goes on and on.

Jersey City is the home of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island -- that's pretty darn cool. In a few months I will see the Freedom Tower rise above Lower Manhattan's skyline, from my bedroom window.

Old 06-29-2010, 01:47 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post

Jersey City is the home of the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.
jersey city for the upteenth time, is not home to the statue of liberty

Old 06-29-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
jersey city for the upteenth time, is not home to the statue of liberty
In fact, it is.

The City of New York owns the Statue, but it's home is Jersey City, NJ. Ownership and location are 2 entirely different things.

Either way, I have a better view of it than you do.

Old 06-29-2010, 03:01 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,088,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
In fact, it is.

The City of New York owns the Statue, but it's home is Jersey City, NJ. Ownership and location are 2 entirely different things.

Either way, I have a better view of it than you do.
ok so new york state owns it and the statue is located in new york harbor( body of water) where nj and ny split the land its on. Most importantly its world recognized as a new york icon

Most people out of ny have a better view of the new york skyline. Than new yorkers do...but who cares that doesnt change anything

Old 06-29-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
ok so new york state owns it and the statue is located in new york harbor( body of water) where nj and ny split the land its on. Most importantly its world recognized as a new york icon

Most people out of ny have a better view of the new york skyline. Than new yorkers do...but who cares that doesnt change anything
Your facts are off. Please don't de-rail this thread like you are notorious for doing, thanks.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:01 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,809,153 times
Quote:

The statue of liberty is NY's property- We all know that. Just don't sit there and deny the fact that these island's didn't influence Jersey City.
The statue is located within Jersey City limits, there's direct ferry's that go to both Liberty and Ellis Islands, there's an actually a pier between Liberty State Park and Ellis Island (Manhattan or Brooklyn doesn't have that), and Ellis Island impacted Jersey City as much as it did NYC despite the size difference.

The Island's were *built* on what were NJ's Oyster beds (which was basically a very shallow area of the Hudson River) Without NJ's permission, the building of the islands couldn't of been done.
~

I hate that people bash NJ's location as it doesn't deserve any credibility upon anything.

Last edited by BPerone201; 06-29-2010 at 11:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.