Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 09:29 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Vacuum in the Midwest?
There are no Atlanta's or Dallas' in the Midwest, just one huge oasis in a forest of rust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 09:43 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
NYC isn't a real city. It's a series of so-called 'neighborhoods' and suburbs that make up an area which is called "NYC", but it's not a REAL city like London, Tokiyo, Mosscow, Paris, Proggue, etc.

America doesn't have any "REAL" cities if you go by the rest of the world's idea of what a "city" is. For example, compare a place like Fargoe North Dakota to a REAL city like Amman, Jordan - it becomes clear that what we call "cities" in this country would be lame suburbs in other countries.

So, to answer your OP there is no Primative City in America because we can't compete with world cities. The closest we have to a REAL city is Los Angeles, since they have a real downtown with skyscrapers, something that NYC and every other town in America lacks.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:52 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,950,930 times
Goodness, whomever came up with that definition sure had a sense of humor. "Primate city" to describe the leading city in its country or region, lol.

Old 06-12-2010, 07:53 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toredyvik View Post
Thats a good point, dreamer - maybe in order for a country's city to be classified as "primate", the other cities have to depend on it.

Perhaps the topic of discussion can be changed to how NYC is more of a primate city to its respective area than any other city in the nation is to its surrounding area.
I agree that in the BosWash corridor, NYC is perceived to be the big gorilla in the region - and for very good reasons. That's the case enough though cities like Boston, DC, Philadelphia and Baltimore are significant on their own. It's the most urbanized region in the U.S. after all.

Last edited by BigCityDreamer; 06-12-2010 at 08:06 AM..

Old 06-12-2010, 09:20 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,956,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
NYC isn't a real city.
Your just sayin that because your from Jersey

Old 06-12-2010, 09:23 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,979,752 times
As far as I know, a primate is either a member of the human, ape or simian family (as well as a few other exotic mammals); or the prelate - normally an archbishop - who is the head of a national province of a church, e.g., the Archbishop of Canterbury is Primate of All England. I think the word the OP wants is "premier", not primate. Both mean "first", of course, but are used in different contexts.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:11 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -.- View Post
Your just sayin that because your from Jersey
I LOL at their post.

Their in denial and fear/know NJ will always be behind us.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:22 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,520,115 times
Quote:
NYC isn't a real city. It's a series of so-called 'neighborhoods' and suburbs that make up an area which is called "NYC", but it's not a REAL city like London, Tokiyo, Mosscow, Paris, Proggue, etc.

America doesn't have any "REAL" cities if you go by the rest of the world's idea of what a "city" is. For example, compare a place like Fargoe North Dakota to a REAL city like Amman, Jordan - it becomes clear that what we call "cities" in this country would be lame suburbs in other countries.

So, to answer your OP there is no Primative City in America because we can't compete with world cities. The closest we have to a REAL city is Los Angeles, since they have a real downtown with skyscrapers, something that NYC and every other town in America lacks.
I'm still trying to figure out if that was a joke. He sounded kinda serious... Nah, lol, I need to wake up.

Old 06-12-2010, 04:01 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
I'm still trying to figure out if that was a joke. He sounded kinda serious... Nah, lol, I need to wake up.
It was a joke...but it sure fooled a couple of New Yorkers!

Old 06-12-2010, 04:21 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,520,115 times
Quote:
It was a joke...but it sure fooled a couple of New Yorkers!
I figured lol, but I wasn't sure for a second cause I've seen some crazy statements on here before where you could tell the the poster somehow believed whatever ridiculous thing he said lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.